World Cup Final

jdwishbone

Don't know why, but my instant reaction is I'd like the Dutch to win...I am however convinced that if they do, half of Scotland will dig out their slightly faded, beer-belly-stretched and buckfast-stained "oranje" shirts and start yelling "wearrapeeple" until 3 or 4 tomorrow morning.

So, for that reason and that I'm so hoping Paul the Octopus maintains his 100% record, I'm going for Spain... that and the fact that I like paella. :rolleyes:

Don't know why, but my instant reaction is I'd like the Dutch to win...I am however convinced that if they do, half of Scotland will dig out their slightly faded, beer-belly-stretched and buckfast-stained "oranje" shirts and start yelling "wearrapeeple" until 3 or 4 tomorrow morning.

So, for that reason and that I'm so hoping Paul the Octopus maintains his 100% record, I'm going for Spain... that and the fact that I like paella. :rolleyes:

With you on all of that. There's a hunn down here that goes in our club, and is clearly on a different intellectual plateau from that of his 'brothers' as he wears a hunn top which has the following printed on the back: "Wir sind das Volk". I think that's fairly ironic for reasons that will clearly be lost on him and his 'brethren'. Tee hee.

Our southern comrades are banging on about how poor the world cup was (on five live). Only one of the buggers has conceded how good Germany were. I thought Germany were sooperb.

Edited to add: well done Spain. Jolly well done.

Edited by alx

Germany missed Mueller in the semi. Spain, however, outplayed them and deserved to win tonight too.

Netherlands were a disgrace to football tonight - a bunch of dirty, cheating, moaning illegitimates. Sneijder was the only outfielder in the start eleven not to get booked. Van Bommel and De Jong should have been sent off in the first half. Robben should have got second yellow for time wasting in extra time. Howard Webb was too lenient but had a reasonable game in very difficult circumstances.

Germany missed Mueller in the semi. Spain, however, outplayed them and deserved to win tonight too.

Netherlands were a disgrace to football tonight - a bunch of dirty, cheating, moaning illegitimates. Sneijder was the only outfielder in the start eleven not to get booked. Van Bommel and De Jong should have been sent off in the first half. Robben should have got second yellow for time wasting in extra time. Howard Webb was too lenient but had a reasonable game in very difficult circumstances.

He was crap. Very difficult circumstances ? Hardly River Plate v Boca Juniors. He was chosen for the world cup final so he is supposedly the best. Clearly he was chosen for some other reason.

He did get booked for a late studs up challenge on Iniesta i think.

Some refs might even have sent him off for that.

The thing to remember is Torres was never fit for them throughout the world cup and Fabregas was used only as a sub (although influential in a couple of games). So they can only be stronger in future - though Peyol must be getting on a bit, considering that he's a bit slow already.

He did get booked for a late studs up challenge on Iniesta i think.

Some refs might even have sent him off for that.

The BBC and Football365.com reports do not list him amongst the players booked. That is confirmed by the official FIFA summary - http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/round=249721/match=300061509/index.html. Kuyt was not booked so my OP was wrong.

Edited by kni

Oh dear! After singing the praises of Howard Webb......

I thought he was a bit soft, I think he was desperate not to show red cards but van Bommer, De Jong and Puyol should all have gone before Heitiger. I agree that it was a terrible game to referee, the Dutch simply wanted to stop Spain, they were a disgrace to the memory of 74 and 78.

Spain have been the best team around for 2 or 3 years now, so it was good to see them win!

Echo all of the above re spain winning. For the life of me i cant understand how Van Bommel only got booked twice in the tournament. I've seen him many times and he nothing but a thug in saying that at least he isnt a sneaky one he's in your face abd you know it. Holland were very poor with their keeper being the only one not deserving to lose. Out of the last 2 world cup finals Scotland have come up against them all in the last 4 years in qualifying campaigns. I think we desrve a point just for going on the same pitch as Spain :rolleyes:

After a particularly ordinary tournament, the final remarkably presented a game between the forces of good and the forces of evil and for once the good guys won. A tad Daily Rangerish I know , but its good to see the side of the angels winning for once. Thought from start to finnish Spain looked the real article and I think it's good for football that they triumphed.

As I indicated previously the tournament was distinctly ordinary with only really Argentina and Germany lightening it up in addition to Spain. Elsewhere only Slovakia and New Zealand outpeformed on expectation. England thankfully were truly awful all things considered, the sound of ego's bursting only marginally louder than the groans of an English dominated media.

The media did not enjoy a good tournament and surely the TV stations must think again at the completely inane level of the coverage provided. The wishful thinking that replaces balanced reporting when it comes to England never fails to stagger me. Its as well Jag's supporters do not view the world through similarly rose tinted glasses or we would be planning on our succesful Champions league campaign in a couple of seasons time. As for the contributions of the so-called experts I think the regulars of many bars in this country could add more knowledge and insight than those tw*ts could.

After a particularly ordinary tournament, the final remarkably presented a game between the forces of good and the forces of evil and for once the good guys won. A tad Daily Rangerish I know , but its good to see the side of the angels winning for once. Thought from start to finnish Spain looked the real article and I think it's good for football that they triumphed.

As I indicated previously the tournament was distinctly ordinary with only really Argentina and Germany lightening it up in addition to Spain. Elsewhere only Slovakia and New Zealand outpeformed on expectation. England thankfully were truly awful all things considered, the sound of ego's bursting only marginally louder than the groans of an English dominated media.

The media did not enjoy a good tournament and surely the TV stations must think again at the completely inane level of the coverage provided. The wishful thinking that replaces balanced reporting when it comes to England never fails to stagger me. Its as well Jag's supporters do not view the world through similarly rose tinted glasses or we would be planning on our succesful Champions league campaign in a couple of seasons time. As for the contributions of the so-called experts I think the regulars of many bars in this country could add more knowledge and insight than those tw*ts could.

Good post. But for those of us in this part of the world, Japan performed far better than they were expected to.