County Give Steven Craig Permission To Open Talks With Jags

kni

Glaswegian article - http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/football/partick-thistle-fc/partick-thistle-news/2012/12/06/partick-thistle-given-go-ahead-to-begin-signing-talks-with-steven-craig-102692-23945402/

"ROSS COUNTY have given Partick Thistle permission to open talks with Steven Craig about making his loan move to Firhill permanent."

• Like 1

His wages are currently being funded by a generous supporter. We have no room in the budget for him, and i think if the budget was to be increased then we should focus on retaining our out-of-contract players.

I agree totally. McGuigan, on a 2 year deal, deserves a chance to challenge for a starting place.

His wages are currently being funded by a generous supporter. We have no room in the budget for him, and i think if the budget was to be increased then we should focus on retaining our out-of-contract players.

Sorry but i totally disagree.

Jackie has gone on record as saying he wants the lads out of contract in the summer signed up but they are keeping their options open. It's therefore simple. Win the league and then we have a much better chance of the lads signing new contracts. To do that we need as strong a squad as possible. Craig has been a huge factor in us being top of the league. It is of utmost importance to sign him up. His experience will be vital in the coming months.

Jackie has also repeatedly said he wants to keep Craig so it's no shock if we are in talks to sign him.

• Like 1

Sign him till the end of the season. Not sure if he has a season in the SPL in him or if 1st division is his level.

You usually have a larger squad for the SPL. At worse Craig would become a squad player.

Jackie will have a list players he wants to re-sign. In practice he'll not have the luxury of re-signing those players in any order of preference. We'll still be low payers in the SPL so I don't think that if we win promotion that will necessarily mean we'll be able to retain everyone we want.

Imo the major failing of our last visit to the SPL was not having key players signed up for the second season. Ideally Jackie will be trying to get players signed beyond May 2014. That'll take some doing and obviously using a fair amount of transfer threshold opt outs etc. to tempt the player.

So far for me,McGuigan hasn't shown that he is a goal scorer. How many games has he come on this season ? Craig came on as a sub and scored and scored 2 in his first full game.

Craig for me, at the moment.

It`s not a question of "how many games has McGuigan came on this season" It`s more a question of the time he has had in these games.Absolutely frig all.No time at all and more often than not he has come on when the team was trailing and down to ten men. Any player would tell you coming on as a sub is hard enough without having to get the pace of the game and hopefully grab a goal as well when you`re a man short.McGuigan will score goals given some starts.Of that I`m sure.He also will need the backing of the fans to give him confidence.
  • Like 1