Just In. Cowdenbeath

potty trained

Deserved 3 points but it really should have been more convincing. Ball just wouldn't drop in the box.

Paton by a mile the best player on the park, ran the show. Covered every blade of grass, tough tackling and some great passing. He typifies everything about this team.

Craigan, game passed him by.

Welsh did ok as stand in, but lets the man inside too easy with a midfielders "tackle". But fair play to him did a good job.

At times Conrad and Archie looked like they had never met each other, but for the majority of the game they marshalled it at th back.

Sinclair had a great game, likewise banzo. Forbes played some nice football coming close with a peach of a free kick.

Thought Erskine and Craig both played well. Craig is a weird one, he can look last but does. Lot of tracking back, plus doesn't give centre halts a minutes rest... And scored.

Another 3 points.

Edited by potty trained

A slightly average performance against a very average team. Paton and Bannigan stood out, Forbes deserved a goal from at least one of his free kicks. I thought Craigan had a good game, especially in the first half, Erskine pulled shift but nothing really worked out for him, or indeed anyone else.

Overall, a deserved 3 points, but next week will be a slightly bigger test.

• Like 1

Deserved 3 points.

Ball just wouldn't drop in the box.

Paton by a mile the best player on the park, ran the show.

Craigan, game passed him by.

Another 3 points.

Agree with Ball not dropping just right and deserved win . Totally dominated match.

Bannigan desreved m.o.t.m. and bit harsh on Craigen imho.

Despite some wobbly moments at the back I felt we played well today and should have won by a far freater margin. In the second half we must have had upwards of 70% of possession.

Bannigan, Paton and Erskine were excellent, although I agree with potty trained that Craigan struggled to make an impact. Craig, despite scoring, also didn't have one of his better matches. Doolan perhaps deserves a starting berth to freshen things up in attack.

Overall a pleasing performance even though it reminded me of last season when we couldn't put the ball in the net.

Oh, and what a miss by their number 9, eh? Even Archie would have burried that one.

We were in cruise control for the whole 2nd half. Could easily have stepped it up if we needed, though it did make it a bit nervous for the last 10 minutes.

Welsh was okay at RB though looked a bit tired once he moved into midfield. Conrad made up for his mistake with a great finish for his goal. Archie as we've come to expect from him. Though Sinclair was a bit poor, his crossing was awful.

Forbes was okay, though probably right to sub him. Thought Craigan was decent though fell out it more in the 2nd half. Bannigan and Paton were great, worked really hard. Erskine was good, and Craig was okay but didn't really get the ball a lot.

Subs were subs and Fox had nothing to do really.

Ref was a joke for both teams.

EDITED TO ADD: I still can't believe that Forbes' free kick didn't go in.

Edited by jags365

A strange game. We should have won by far more than just the one goal but a combination of poor finishing, poor luck and a decent goalkeeping performance - I thought he was unlucky not to keep our second out - kept the score down.

Definitely not complaining though, and I would happily take a similar scoreline next week. :D

The officials today in particular the JHS linesman WTF !

My better half said to me this afternoon whilst reading the programme ... isnt that referee that was totally...... gash previously.

My memory isn't or ever has been what it should be so I could not answer with any degree of accuracy.

Tell you what though she was spot on !

Thought we were comfortable throughtout maybe apart from the last 10 mins when as you do with a one goal lead start to get a bit nervous. Paton and Bannigan were the ones that stood out today aswell as Erskine and Forbes. Welsh done a decent job covering at RB and until O'Donnell is back id be happy with him filling in there. Felt that Craigan had an okay first half but was totally anonymous second half and should have been subbed earlier but as we were in total control it wasnt that big a deal.

Balatoni was at fault for the first goal but more than made up for it with his finish from a great delivery.

They were a really poor side and we should have won by more than the one goal but we just werent gettin that bit of luck. Long ball team which was depressing to watch so hopefully with that fresh in the mind we can go next week and the proper football team can win!!

Oh and the ref was sh*te! Based on performances like that no wonder they get abuse. Terrible decisions for both teams! Its as if they plucked a random from the crowd before hand to ref the game...

A very welcome and deserved 3 points. We should have won by a far greater margin. Paton and Bannigan were excellent. Erskine had a good game as did most of the others. Craigen was decent in first half but faded in 2nd. Will need to be more clinical to get the win next week and win we must to put a bit more pressure on morton

We were the better team by miles, should have been a bigger scoreline. Can't fault anyone, Bannigan, Paton and Forbes in particular were very good. The referee was awful and that is saying something given the muppets we get in this division, the linesman was pish as well, loads of obvious fouls missed and free kicks given for sod all for both sides in equal measure.

I'd like to think we can go to Central Park and get 4 points next week but Cowdenbeath seem to be a team we struggle against in particular along with Raith and Hamilton.

We made hard work of that...another simple though ball not dealt with by our central defence...and a real let off with the miss by their No.9 - big useless Coult.

We actually played some decent stuff and Cowdenbeath were hanging on for a 2-1 defeat. Some of Erskine's skills were magical and Paton and Bannigan were excellent. We don't have an outstanding striker though - Craig scores goals and has a physical presence but sometimes looks sluggish in staying onside and anticipating moves...Doolan looks short of confidence...and I'm not convinced about Elliot.

Can't complain about a referee who deflects the ball out for a corner for us.

Looks like a straight fight between us and Morton now...really hope McNamara stays with us...I've waited years to see a Thistle side this good.

• Like 2

We made hard work of that...another simple though ball not dealt with by our central defence...and a real let off with the miss by their No.9 - big useless Coult.

We actually played some decent stuff and Cowdenbeath were hanging on for a 2-1 defeat. Some of Erskine's skills were magical and Paton and Bannigan were excellent. We don't have an outstanding striker though - Craig scores goals and has a physical presence but sometimes looks sluggish in staying onside and anticipating moves...Doolan looks short of confidence...and I'm not convinced about Elliot.

Can't complain about a referee who deflects the ball out for a corner for us.

Looks like a straight fight between us and Morton now...really hope McNamara stays with us...I've waited years to see a Thistle side this good.

Agreed about Craig, sloppy pitch I know but fresh aired a cross and headed over from 5 yards. Needs to up the effort I think. Paton stand out for me and som fantastic forbes passes and crosses. Badly missing Stephen odonnell however, come back soon. Erskine was good and some lovely dribbling.

In my opinion I thought with 25 mins left that we'd settled for 2-1 which worried me given the livi game fiasco, sometimes jackies very slow at making subs, thought craig needed subbed ten mins before. Anyway all ended well.

Hoping for three points next week but need to be more clinical than today.

Mon the jags.

Their goal came worryingly easily, as did a cracking chance of a second. Not a bad team at all. That said, I thought we were great today, especially first half. Pity we can't translate our quality into the goals it deserves. Steven Craig was good today but if I was scouting for another club, Bannigan, Erskine, Paton and Sinclair would all be of interest.

Although it didn't always come off today. I really enjoy the style this team play with. Defence was stretched at times purely because we played 2v2 for most of the game. I can't remember a Thistle team that played with the full backs pushed on so much. Great to watch and even if they don't win league, they will have been great value for money at Firhill this year.

• Like 2

....Ball just wouldn't drop in the box......

Despite some wobbly moments at the back I felt we played well today and should have won by a far freater margin.....

A strange game. We should have won by far more than just the one goal but a combination of poor finishing, poor luck and a decent goalkeeping performance....

Their goal came worryingly easily, as did a cracking chance of a second. Not a bad team at all. That said, I thought we were great today, especially first half. Pity we can't translate our quality into the goals it deserves......

There is a pattern to our play that is becoming a worry - dominance of games, but silly goals given away by a defence caught flat-footed, and plenty of opportunities to score, but very few being put away.

My explanation is a bit different: where the team played the ball on the deck through the centre early on in the season and so ran opposition teams ragged, scoring freely while doing it, what is happening now? Almost every ball is played out to the wings in the hope of a cross that will catch the opposition unawares. Maybe someone can tell us what kind of attacking the likes of Cowdenbeath or Dumbarton is really used to - is it fluid passing movements through the centre or is it high balls lumped into the penalty box?

If we really want to succeed at this dull kind of head tennis, then it shouldn't be Craig that is leading the line, but Balatoni, who seems capable of getting on the end of most high balls. In my opinion, if the team stuck to what it's good at - playing a more direct passing game through the centre - more goals would be scored (and if some of them come from conceded penalty kicks and free kicks, does that cancel the goals out?) and the play would look better to spectators. There would also be less likelihood of losing possession so often. This typically British play from the wings is not just dated but also ineffective against inferior teams. The likes of Bayern München or Barcelona don't use it, and they seem to be doing alright.

Although Craig is relatively effective, his presence seems to encourage the team to try dropping high balls into the box, which is taking away from more effective attacking means. I''d like to see Doolan, who is a more cunning, less predictable and more alert striker, in his place. (It's also worth thinking about how many goals each has scored in relation to the time they've been on the pitch this season.) There were several occasions today when Craig was looking about, trying to spot the loose ball in the box. In such situations, Doolan is usually much sharper.

enjoyed the game today, good 3 points

but my pie was burnt at the bottom

raging

My 1st ( original ) pie fell foul to gravity and despite some appreciated cpr from a JHS diehard , a 2nd pie had to be bought. I could not get over the loss, during the 2nd half every time I looked below me and seen what was still ( even after half an hour of our poor catering ) a warm pie lay wasted. Never since I took an Aberdeen fan to the game have I seen such a waste.

Although Craig is relatively effective, his presence seems to encourage the team to try dropping high balls into the box, which is taking away from more effective attacking means. I''d like to see Doolan, who is a more cunning, less predictable and more alert striker, in his place. (It's also worth thinking about how many goals each has scored in relation to the time they've been on the pitch this season.) There were several occasions today when Craig was looking about, trying to spot the loose ball in the box. In such situations, Doolan is usually much sharper.

Yup, I agree with this.

My 1st ( original ) pie fell foul to gravity and despite some appreciated cpr from a JHS diehard , a 2nd pie had to be bought. I could not get over the loss, during the 2nd half every time I looked below me and seen what was still ( even after half an hour of our poor catering ) a warm pie lay wasted. Never since I took an Aberdeen fan to the game have I seen such a waste.

Hahaha reminds me of the time a few years ago against Ross County when I was sitting in the JHS poised to get tore intae a steamin hot pie I'd queued about 20 minutes for. A rogue doo appeared overhead out of nowhere and shat right intae my pie! I had to throw nearly half of it away!

Hahaha reminds me of the time a few years ago against Ross County when I was sitting in the JHS poised to get tore intae a steamin hot pie I'd queued about 20 minutes for. A rogue doo appeared overhead out of nowhere and shat right intae my pie! I had to throw nearly half of it away!

Is that when you noticed it tasted funny BlackpoolJag? :o