Gay Footballers

broomhilljagsfan

With the news of robbie Rodgers (ex Leeds Utd) coming out http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21479520

How would Thistle fans react if one of our players came out as gay?

What if the opposition had a gay player?

Most football fans seem to have got over shouting racial abuse at black players but calling someone a "poof" etc still seems acceptable.

• Like 1

Couldnt give a shite if a footballer is gay, whether he plays for us or otherwise. What annoys me though are people who go out of their way to be offended about it. It makes for good tv I guess, to pretend like theres some sort of crusade against blacks/gays etc. Just like the Sky tv documentary the other night. Five goons at Millwall shout racist abuse and suddenly we are being told its an issue which is destroying the game.

• Like 3

Couldnt give a shite if a footballer is gay, whether he plays for us or otherwise. What annoys me though are people who go out of their way to be offended about it. It makes for good tv I guess, to pretend like theres some sort of crusade against blacks/gays etc. Just like the Sky tv documentary the other night. Five goons at Millwall shout racist abuse and suddenly we are being told its an issue which is destroying the game.

This times a million.

It's not an issue until someone can use it to their advantage for some self promotion.

This like racism will not be fixed by people constantly saying their is a difference between gay people and straight people.

Don't feed the trolls!

I mean look at that documentary the other night. They had to wheel out ******* Ugo Ehiogu who hasn't kicked a ball in years and he mentioned one incident from donkey's years ago where one single idiot gave him abuse at Grimsby, talk about straw clutching.

Really couldn't care less about players sexualities. If there are any players or fans who would be bothered if one of our players or an opposition player were gay, I'd rather they weren't associated with our club.

Couldn't have put it better myself. :thumbsup2:

A man's sexuality is his business and his business alone.

Gay footballers are probably afraid of the reaction of their team mates as much as the fans. Surveys suggest that 3 to 5% of the population are gay or bisexual so there must be a significant number of gay professional footballers.

There probably are, but I don't think we should expect the number of gay footballers to exactly mirror the number of gay people in wider society. Gay people tend to be attracted to certain professions more than others, such as the performing arts or the fashion industry, where their sexuality is less of an issue. Football is still a very macho, overtly hetrosexual male arena in many respects, so I can understand why it might not 'do it' for them.

Sadly, I don't think our society is at a point yet where gay footballers could be widely accepted, as ethnic minority players now are compared to a couple of decades ago. The 'hoors, poofs and junkies' and Jimmy Saville/Kevin Webster chants were plentiful both during and after today's game, often emanating from people well into adulthood.

Gay people are put off football because it's still perceived to be hostile to gay people. It's not because it's macho. It's about how welcoming an environment it is.

I'd like to think that if a Jag or any other player publicly "came out" (ridiculous though the situation is, it IS still taboo in football and we need to break that taboo) publicly, that it would either be treated either with indifference or appreciation and understanding.

The point at which football can be said properly to have tackled this is the point at which it is thought unremarkable, and people feel genuinely indifferent across the sport.

If a gay footballer played against us, he would get completely victimised.

Absolutely nothing to do with sexuality though, just hoping it put him off. Any honest football fan would probably admit their team would also do this.

If any Morton player came out saying they were gay, I'd be absolutely disgusted if any fans or colleagues had a problem with this. It's 2013 ffs.

If a gay footballer played against us, he would get completely victimised.

Absolutely nothing to do with sexuality though, just hoping it put him off. Any honest football fan would probably admit their team would also do this.

If any Morton player came out saying they were gay, I'd be absolutely disgusted if any fans or colleagues had a problem with this. It's 2013 ffs.

As I said attention seeking !

As I said attention seeking !

You'll probably get slated for your comment but I actually agree.

It's not right to be slated for it but SURELY he knows what football crowds are like....if I was in a position where I was different I'd turn it into an advantage and probably wind people up. Football players need to be thick-skinned no matter their situation. It's a different world in football.

That doesn't mean it's right - I'm just saying it's how football crowds seem to go about business. Unfortunately, slagging a gay player wouldn't bring arrests as such as would slagging an Asian or black player for beliefs or race or religion.

It's an interesting question. I'll shout myself hoarse calling players and referees names, and still remember getting a look of shock from Fat Sally McCoist when I yelled at him to eff off. So that's alright to me.

But I know if I was in a crowd that started racist abuse I would leave immediately, and reconsider returning. And I'd do the same if it was homophobic.

It's that fine line between what is acceptable and what isn't. This is an adult sport for adults to attend and the crowds reflect that. Old Firm fans are disparaged for being '90-minute bigots'. Chanting 'Greenock's a *****hole' is OK. There's a line of acceptability that everyone must choose.

It's an interesting question. I'll shout myself hoarse calling players and referees names, and still remember getting a look of shock from Fat Sally McCoist when I yelled at him to eff off. So that's alright to me.

But I know if I was in a crowd that started racist abuse I would leave immediately, and reconsider returning. And I'd do the same if it was homophobic.

It's that fine line between what is acceptable and what isn't. This is an adult sport for adults to attend and the crowds reflect that. Old Firm fans are disparaged for being '90-minute bigots'. Chanting 'Greenock's a *****hole' is OK. There's a line of acceptability that everyone must choose.

I agree

You pretty much said what I was pathetically attempting to say.

Football is a different sport in terms of 'banter' to other sports. Half the things spouted at football would cause an uproar in, Hockey, for example. It's way more aggressive and things are said by fans which they'de probably never say outside a football ground in their normal lives.

Right or wrong? I'm not in a power to decide, but does it take away an atmospheric edge in football? Probably.

As you said, it's a fine line between banter and prejudism/stereotyping et al.

Edited by 1874tilpresent

Whether a footballer is gay or not means absolutely nothing to me.

But I suppose we've all got our prejudices I've gotta admit to being very uncomfortable about cross dressing posters on this very site.

No gays or cross-dressers on "What's My Line?"

Edited by kni

Couldn't have put it better myself. :thumbsup2: A man's sexuality is his business and his business alone. There probably are, but I don't think we should expect the number of gay footballers to exactly mirror the number of gay people in wider society. Gay people tend to be attracted to certain professions more than others, such as the performing arts or the fashion industry, where their sexuality is less of an issue.

I understand the sentiment you are trying to make but this did make me chuckle as it's a bit David Brent from The Offfice. The perception of homosexuals are overtly effeminate is a hangover from prejudice from the past. I would not have a problem with a Thistle player being gay and I think the players after a bit of shock for some due to the macho culture you refered to would get on with it. It's a generational thing. However the fans would need to be educated as there would be a lot of abuse from the stands. I still hear a lot of "poof" and "gay boy" thrown at players who are injured.

I understand the sentiment you are trying to make but this did make me chuckle as it's a bit David Brent from The Offfice. The perception of homosexuals are overtly effeminate is a hangover from prejudice from the past. I would not have a problem with a Thistle player being gay and I think the players after a bit of shock for some due to the macho culture you refered to would get on with it. It's a generational thing. However the fans would need to be educated as there would be a lot of abuse from the stands. I still hear a lot of "poof" and "gay boy" thrown at players who are injured.

Where did I say - or even imply - that homosexuals are overtly effeminate? Unless, of course, you regard the myriad of jobs that make up the fashion and performing arts industries to be synonymous with effeminacy, as that particular fictional TV character probably would.

FWIW, I know of plenty of straight men who been employed or trained in both industries, as well as a disproportionate number of gay men. One the other hand, of the dozens of gay men I have met over the years, with one exception, none have shown an interest in football most probably for many of the reasons already discussed. If that is in any way typical then it has to have an effect on the number of gay professional footballers.