New Manager!

Lindau

More from the Beeb on this ludicrous decision! Livi are fourth - 2 points behind the Pars with a game in hand.

Collins could be in the running for the Hearts job with Evans as his assistant.

I agree that it's a ridiculous decision by Livi to sack Evans, was doing a good job and they were probably the better team last time we played them.

However, can't see them getting anywhere near Tynecastle. A former Hibs manager with a Hibs legend as his assistant?

I'd get Evans in asap. Was my first choice and now this makes it even more do-able. I love archie and would want him to stay as a coach but we need a manager. In our league the best manager is Evans (an idiot could do Moores job with the money he has, as with queen of the south just now).

It is a big risk giving it to Archie and I wouldn't want his time at firhill tainted by not winning the league and judging by his games in charge we will not win the league, based on our quality of football.

Gareth Evans and John Collins have just left Livi according to BBC's Brian McLaughlin.

Madness. Complete Madness.

Evans sacked and Collins resigning because of it apparently. Very strange as I thought they were doing well.

If Archie doesn't get the job for whatever reason then Evans would be an ideal candidate.

Agreed.

I wouldn't want Evans on his own. Collins would need to be involved.

Evans yes. Collins no.

I'd get Evans in asap. Was my first choice and now this makes it even more do-able. I love archie and would want him to stay as a coach but we need a manager. In our league the best manager is Evans (an idiot could do Moores job with the money he has, as with queen of the south just now).

It is a big risk giving it to Archie and I wouldn't want his time at firhill tainted by not winning the league and judging by his games in charge we will not win the league, based on our quality of football.

Evans was my first-choice too. However, in two minds as to whether right now is correct time to bring in anyone over and above Archie. Perhaps, a compromise (if there was to be one) would be to bring Evans in on the coaching staff and see how it works out initially until end of season. Archie knows the players, our strengths and style of play (although that has been tweaked under AA and Shaggie). Last thing i wish to see is major disruption within the touchline and coaching staff at this point.

Evans was my first-choice too. However, in two minds as to whether right now is correct time to bring in anyone over and above Archie. Perhaps, a compromise (if there was to be one) would be to bring Evans in on the coaching staff and see how it works out initially until end of season. Archie knows the players, our strengths and style of play (although that has been tweaked under AA and Shaggie). Last thing i wish to see is major disruption within the touchline and coaching staff at this point.

This. The players want Archie to get the job. Seven points out of a possible nine so far (the fog-bound abandonment counts for nothing). We are still on course to overtake Morton. Why change now, and upset the coaching regime, the players, and many fans?

Collins has always struck me as a bit of an ego-maniac to be honest.

Perhaps he'd make a better coach then, with someone to keep him in his place. He has trouble managing a team of individuals as shown at Hibs, but he really embraces the sport science/psychology side of things.

At the time of Jackie's departure I would have taken Evans in a shot. But that was then. Archie has been working with the players for a few weeks now on a daily basis, as has Shaggy. To have yet more upheaval thrust upon the players at this stage of the season could massively upset the harmony amongst the squad. I think if we were going to appoint a new manager the time has came and went. For me, it's Archie till the end of the season now.

• Like 1

I'm really struggling to know what I want to do here. Evans has had a Livi team in decent form and playing good football. This has given him some good experience managing in in the first division and knowledge of our opposition teams. Whilst I agree that we need continuity and more upheaval could cause unrest in the squad, Archie has said how he wants to continue as a player and we don't want to miss out on a man who could be our main target (come the close season) while he's available.

I know Collins was an integral part of Livingston's current youth development. That's different from saying he can claim all credit for the current first team, which relies heavily on youngsters. Even so he's obviously had considerable input at a time when Livingston have been performing above expectations.

It's probably fair to say he's not cut out for day to day management but I believe he'll be useful to most clubs to have in the background.

This. The players want Archie to get the job. Seven points out of a possible nine so far (the fog-bound abandonment counts for nothing). We are still on course to overtake Morton. Why change now, and upset the coaching regime, the players, and many fans?

At the time of Jackie's departure I would have taken Evans in a shot. But that was then. Archie has been working with the players for a few weeks now on a daily basis, as has Shaggy. To have yet more upheaval thrust upon the players at this stage of the season could massively upset the harmony amongst the squad. I think if we were going to appoint a new manager the time has came and went. For me, it's Archie till the end of the season now.

I'm really struggling to know what I want to do here. Evans has had a Livi team in decent form and playing good football. This has given him some good experience managing in in the first division and knowledge of our opposition teams. Whilst I agree that we need continuity and more upheaval could cause unrest in the squad, Archie has said how he wants to continue as a player and we don't want to miss out on a man who could be our main target (come the close season) while he's available.

I'm in even more of a quandry now :confused1:

Not to mention the importance of personal hygiene and self-grooming.

As 900 year old farts like me are learning to say, and thus be down and hip with the kids, LOLZ

I've been to three of his four matches and we played worse in each match - lucky to get 7 points and if we hadn't then I'm sure more people here would be happy for Evans in now. Every week we are losing what Jackie had instilled in our team. We are not experienced professionals, we were a good attack minded team and Archie has tried to make us play like an experienced team.

This argument of "continuing Jackies work" can be disregarded as what has been said and what has been done are different. Fox talked about how the trainings are more defence minded and there has been changes. So clearly he hasn't continued jackies work but tried to stamp his own identity on it. The performances of Lawless. Bannigan and O'Donnell in his games are suggestive of a constraint to their style.

In terms of what the players want, they always say they want the manager to get the job/ or keep the job. No matter who is in charge these players have to do their best to stay in the team, get possible moves to better things or help get us promoted.

As said in previous post, I like Archie and don't want to criticise but I don't want to slowly watch our title slip away.

Would be an ideal time to bring Evans on board.

Would it? No matter how low opinion I have of Livingston FC I would still be interested to know what inspired the unusual wording within the dismissal statement.

An excellent point. This is the key point.

"Livingston announces the departure of first team manager Gareth Evans following a managers' meeting today, where we voiced our concern over the stewardship of the club under Gareth. This, despite the results being generally acceptable."

Allan Johnston would probably be my first choice at the moment.

Edited by kni

While I agree we need continuity at this stage of our season I feel we maybe need that little boost a new manager sometimes brings to a new team. Mortons "paint by numbers" style of football,whilst awful to watch,is proving effective and maybe bringing in Evans would be the catalyst we need for one final charge at the title. Evans as gaffer and Archie as his playing assistant would be ideal if you ask me.

Crazy decision by Livingston, who have been by far the best footballing side I have seen come to Firhill this season. Had the Livi board let Collins and Evans continue their work then I reckon they would be strong candidates for next season's title. However, reading between the lines of that official statement leads me to think that the decision to remove Evans was non-football related.

I'd actually quite like to see John Collins at Firhill in some capacity. Anyone who could perhaps teach our players - Ross Forbes excepted - how to take a corner kick so that it actually beats the first defender could prove invaluable to the team!

Would it? No matter how low opinion I have of Livingston FC I would still be interested to know what inspired the unusual wording within the dismissal statement.

Sounds to me like a breakdown in the relationship between the board and Evans. Considering Collins resigned over the matter, would suggest he thought it wasn't right.

Sifted through livi forum/ pie and bovril and no real answers yet.

When Jackie left, I think we lost more than a manager. He seemed to be generally well thought of in the game and I assume his contacts enabled us to sign the players we got on loan, encouraged the players we signed to sign on or extend, and I also assume he was involved in bringing the Celtic futures squad games and the revenue from that to Firhill.

I am in a quandary just now - I hope that Archie will be able to win a league and cup double, but I'm not so sure that he'll be able to take the team into the SPL and not 'do a Dundee'. Archie is a legend at Thistle as a player, but I can't see him being able to convince many of our out of contract players to stay or him being a 'pull' for any players we are interested in. I just don't think he's ready yet.

For me, if we were able to get Evans AND Collins in, it would in some way help to start replacing Jackie - good football on the park, with an emphasis on youth development and good contacts off it. I can't see too many situations that would rival it it terms of the potential for success.

It pains me to say it, but I think it's only a matter of when, not if, we sh!t on Archie and Shaggy. Would Archie go back to his previous role(s) and what was Shaggys relationship with Evans and Collins? Could there still be a role for him?

• Like 1

On the Livi parting with managers unexpectedly, they have previous.

Gary Bollan led them to back-to-back promotions from 3rd to 1st in consecutive seasons, then in Feb 2012 was sacked. The club cited his alleged failure to develop young players as their reason for his dismissal.

If i recall, Livi were holding their own in the league at that time, no danger of relegation ect (though all through the Bollan years, theier expenditure always outstripped their income, continuing their unsustainable model, although in 1st think they had tightened their belts a bit).

Who knows whats behind the parting of the ways with Evans, and Collins walking out the door with, and in support of, him.

Livi has always been a dodgy club.

Like Dundee. And Deadclub. And NewGovanclub.

• Like 1