Subbuteo

Willjag

I've got one, but don't know if it's HW 029. How can you tell? (Can't see anything on the box). Think mine is older than in the photo, as the goalie is the old wire-stick variety, rather than the plastic stem.

I also have an entire Jags team of the old flat 2-D players (including goalie) that slotted into their bases.

Subbuteo: loved it when I was a wean.

• Like 1

• Members

The number should be at the foot of the box Jaggernaut. You used to have a picture of one of the players as an avatar IIRC didn't you. Looked like the real deal to me. If it's all in good nick, you've got a very desirable item there.

SO WHAT'S RARE?

There is no doubt that some heavyweight teams are more rare than others. Numbers: 1,2,5,7,8,13,16,41,42,50 and 100 turn up more than most. Where as numbers: 29,32,62,69,70,71,97,98,122 and 123 to name but a few hardly ever turn up. As a general rule those team colours that by the mid 70's were not a listed team are the hardest to find. Also most of the teams with references from the mid hundreds onwards are also very rare. It's logical if you think about it. As a collector in the 70's most people brought the top league and World Cup teams of the day and that was it. If a team didn't sell it wasn't painted. Base colour is also an important factor to the 'Hard Core' collector. A more common reference can increase in value just by its base colouring and combination. Finally location. It stands to reason that certain teams will be more common in certain parts of the country than others. For instance, no.23 Partick Thistle and no.73 Clydebank are quite hard teams to find but have been turned up in Scotland more often than in most other parts of the UK.

Edited by Willjag

The number should be at the foot of the box Jaggernaut. You used to have a picture of one of the players as an avatar IIRC didn't you. Looked like the real deal to me. If it's all in good nick, you've got a very desirable item there.

SO WHAT'S RARE?

There is no doubt that some heavyweight teams are more rare than others. Numbers: 1,2,5,7,8,13,16,41,42,50 and 100 turn up more than most. Where as numbers: 29,32,62,69,70,71,97,98,122 and 123 to name but a few hardly ever turn up. As a general rule those team colours that by the mid 70's were not a listed team are the hardest to find. Also most of the teams with references from the mid hundreds onwards are also very rare. It's logical if you think about it. As a collector in the 70's most people brought the top league and World Cup teams of the day and that was it. If a team didn't sell it wasn't painted. Base colour is also an important factor to the 'Hard Core' collector. A more common reference can increase in value just by its base colouring and combination. Finally location. It stands to reason that certain teams will be more common in certain parts of the country than others. For instance, no.23 Partick Thistle and no.73 Clydebank are quite hard teams to find but have been turned up in Scotland more often than in most other parts of the UK.

All tres intéressant.

Nothing on the box that I have. But it'll be my new avatar soon, as the current one has done it's job of seeing us safely over the finishing line at the end of the season.

A few of my previous avatars have been not Subbuteo players but hand-painted (not by me) Airfix footballers, 2" high. I've got 16, all in various Thistle outfits since the 60s. There was a guy who sold them on eBay and who would also do them to commission, but he's no longer active, unfortunately.

Agreed!

The best bar none.IMHO computer games can't match the thrill of "flicking to kick"

Used to be part of a Subbuteo league in school...happy days!!

I remember that shop in George st...Inter Sports I think it was called...got most of my teams from Pitchers Sports in Dumbarton rd.

All I Want For Christmas Is A Dukla Prague Away Kit

There was one in the gang who had Scalextric

And because of that he thought he was better than you

Every day after school you’d go round there to play it

Hoping to compete for some kind of championship

But it always took about fifteen billion hours to set the track up

And even when you did the thing never seemed to work

It was a dodgy transformer again and again

A dodgy transformer again and again

It was a dodgy transformer again and again

A dodgy transformer that cost three pound ten

So he’d send his doting mother up the stairs with the stepladders

To get the Subbuteo out of the loft

He had all the accessories required for that big match atmosphere

The crowd and the dugout and the floodlights too

You’d always get palmed off with a headless centre forward

And a goalkeeper with no arms and a face like his

And he’d managed to get hold of a Dukla Prague away kit

‘Cos his uncle owned a sports shop and he’d kept it to one side

And after only five minutes you’d be down to ten men

‘Cos he’d sent off your right back for taking the base from under his left winger

And come to half time you were losing four-nil

Each and every goal a hotly disputed penalty

So you’d smash up the floodlights and the match was abandoned

And the dog would bark and you’d be banned from his house

And your travelling army of synthetic supporters

Would be taken away from you and thrown in the bin

Now he’s working in a job with a future

He hands me my Giro every two weeks

And me I’m on the lookout for a proper transformer …errr

:getmecoat:

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

..........luved it! :clapping:

I'm auld enuff to mind the chad Valley flick football game?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251270648675?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

then Subbuteo came out fantastik! :shakeshout:

we used to have league and iternational games in oor wee block - maisionette! in shitehill!

great care free days of being young!!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Davie Thistle
  • Like 1

Agreed!

The best bar none.IMHO computer games can't match the thrill of "flicking to kick"

Used to be part of a Subbuteo league in school...happy days!!

I remember that shop in George st...Inter Sports I think it was called...got most of my teams from Pitchers Sports in Dumbarton rd.

Got my Subbuteo in Pitcher sports too along with football tops and Adidad Uraguay mouldies. Great wee shop.

I used to play in the Glasgow Subbuteo league at Victoria Drive school. Won Div 2 in my 1st season. I know some of the main guys still play and a few are Jags fans. It still goes on in reduced form at Woodend tennis club

Back in the 80s I thought I got the Thistle team, but I should have known when it was marked Thistle/Southampton. Nothing like our strip. At least Watford would have been close to this season's home strip :P

• Members

I never, 'flicked to kick' when playing. I preferred the 'push' method. I had about a dozen teams and manged to sort them into the 18 1st Divison teams of the time and play out a whole league season on my own. I always started off the season promising to myself that I'd play it out and not manipulate the results. Thistle always seemed to win the league though funnily enough. We'd always beat Celtic and Rangers and the only points we'd lose would be shock results to diddy teams!

Broken players would be glued back together but the glue was crap back then so goal keepers never ever stood up again to a good firm shot and when the glue ran out, players were melted back onto their stand and would instantly become small stature players like Jimmy Johnstone or Gordon Strachan. Kept me amused for years that game.

• Like 1

I never, 'flicked to kick' when playing. I preferred the 'push' method. I had about a dozen teams and manged to sort them into the 18 1st Divison teams of the time and play out a whole league season on my own. I always started off the season promising to myself that I'd play it out and not manipulate the results. Thistle always seemed to win the league though funnily enough. We'd always beat Celtic and Rangers and the only points we'd lose would be shock results to diddy teams!

Broken players would be glued back together but the glue was crap back then so goal keepers never ever stood up again to a good firm shot and when the glue ran out, players were melted back onto their stand and would instantly become small stature players like Jimmy Johnstone or Gordon Strachan. Kept me amused for years that game.

So you played with yourself for quite a while then WJ? :innocent2:

Edited by jagfox

Ha ha! We always had the pitch laid out on the floor, so inevitably we'd kneel on some players and they'd be broken. As we commentated on the game as we played it, this was always reported as an off-the-ball incident. There was always great anticipation when a player made his first appearance after a long lay-off because of his broken leg(s). Would his speed, ability to run in a straight line, balance etc be affected by how well or poorly his bones had knitted (i.e. been glued) together?

What a game.

• Like 1

I always started off the season promising to myself that I'd play it out and not manipulate the results.

Made me laugh out loud. :D

I used to do the very same thing but with Lego football. The ball was a marble, approximately 60% the height of the lego man. I had leagues, cups and Euro adventures the lot. Now I Wish I'd kept the jotters with all the results! Made me the statto and lister that I am today.

Might be a good time to show my Jags/Subbuteo tattoo.

qz3g9w.jpg

Dunno what happened on the upload but cant rotate it.

Was thinking of getting a Jags tattoo for ages, finally came to the day and still wasn't sure, had a Subbuteo T-shirt on at the time and this is the end product.

• Like 4

Might be a good time to show my Jags/Subbuteo tattoo.

qz3g9w.jpg

Dunno what happened on the upload but cant rotate it.

Was thinking of getting a Jags tattoo for ages, finally came to the day and still wasn't sure, had a Subbuteo T-shirt on at the time and this is the end product.

That is excellent. Anybody else got Jags tattoos to show?