David Beattie

Harry Wragg

Just read full page spread in the OF Record on our chairman and what an article !!! I always admired the man and his sentiments about Thistle are exatly as mine are and I'm sure quite a number on the forum, well worth a read , I said it before and I'll say it again , Many many thanks to the board of directors and especially David for all their hard work behind the scenes at the only team in Glasgow, lets hear it for the Jags !!!!

ps. Wonder how many other clubs in the top flight have debts of less than a million? £500,000 is our figure according to the report which is nothing short of a miracle !!!

Edited by Harry Wragg

I'd agree it has been good having someone competent in charge of Thistle in recent years.

But he has blotted his copybook with the Celtic fans saga and PropCo.

Surely propco is why our debt is £500,000? It was over a million and the deal got rid of half the debt. Mind you the current board deserve credit for not letting it get out of control again as has happened a few times in the last couple of decades.

As for the Celtic fans thing, my criticism would be that the board were slow to react in the first place, whether from not caring or being caught while people who needed to do something were on holiday we can't tell but they might have had little choice in the end.

Let's hope they now realise every little decision - especially now we're in the SPL - can have a bigger impact than you expect and they will think a bit more (and consult where necessary) in future.

Surely propco is why our debt is £500,000? It was over a million and the deal got rid of half the debt. Mind you the current board deserve credit for not letting it get out of control again as has happened a few times in the last couple of decades.

As for the Celtic fans thing, my criticism would be that the board were slow to react in the first place, whether from not caring or being caught while people who needed to do something were on holiday we can't tell but they might have had little choice in the end.

Let's hope they now realise every little decision - especially now we're in the SPL - can have a bigger impact than you expect and they will think a bit more (and consult where necessary) in future.

To be honest the PropCo thing bored me to tears so I stopped reading about it.

My main gripe with him is the Celtic thing.

This thread was meant to be uplifting and encouraging , I think theres too many grumpy old men here !! or else maybe even worse , grumpy young men , who will never see the positive side to anything !!! The board deserve a huge vote of confidence as do all at Firhill !!

• Like 4

This thread was meant to be uplifting and encouraging , I think theres too many grumpy old men here !! or else maybe even worse , grumpy young men , who will never see the positive side to anything !!! The board deserve a huge vote of confidence as do all at Firhill !!

Beattie is a guy who has just alienated several hundred if not over a thousand Thistle supporters with the North Stand Gate.

On top of the Sevco debacle last summer.

He has done a better job than the last lot but that's as far as I'll go.

• Like 2

Beattie is a guy who has just alienated several hundred if not over a thousand Thistle supporters with the North Stand Gate.

On top of the Sevco debacle last summer.

He has done a better job than the last lot but that's as far as I'll go.

i doubt it, i put my name down on that petition, which i assume is where you are getting your numbers from and i think nothing of the kind.

not saying he hasn't made mistakes but think you are being a bit harsh

"Thistle were carrying debt of over £3million pounds when he took over and that sum has been reduced to £500,000, a pittance compared to the club’s assets and therefore easily manageable."

Wow!! It's unbelievable that, after Save The Jags, the club was in the financial mire again.

That's an excellent interview and we owe a huge debt of gratitude to Beattie and his team.

interesting read but not sure what this means - “There was a story that I’d banned Celtic fans from our main stand because they’d let off flares in the Glasgow Cup final, but I didn’t single out Celtic. It was decided, after consultation with the police, that away fans of all teams would be better off out of the main stand because it’s a wooden construction.

"It’s a health and safety issue and I have a duty of care to everyone inside Firhill.”

i thought this was only for the celtic game?

Edited by yokerjag

interesting read but not sure what this means - “There was a story that I’d banned Celtic fans from our main stand because they’d let off flares in the Glasgow Cup final, but I didn’t single out Celtic. It was decided, after consultation with the police, that away fans of all teams would be better off out of the main stand because it’s a wooden construction.

"It’s a health and safety issue and I have a duty of care to everyone inside Firhill.”

i thought this was only for the celtic game?

Statement re segregation.

During meetings around this matter the Police Football Intelligence Unit raised concerns as to the increased use of flares by sections of some away support, citing a number of incidents that have taken place over the last season. This, coupled with our own experiences of flares at Firhill over the last couple of season, meant that it is something we have to seriously consider as the consequences of incendiary devices in a wooden clad stand are there for all to see.

IIRC only the OF fans have set off flares at Firhill.

"Unfortunately events overtook that consultation process as the timings around the renewal of the Safety Certificate meant that a strict segregation policy which banned Celtic Supporters from the Main Stand was enforced. In essence this left the Club with a Fait Accompli regards moving our own fans."

So the main stand ban applies to Celtic fans only who, contrary to Beattie's comments, have been singled out.

Beattie is now saying that the main stand will only be used by Jags fans! Where will the other clubs' away fans be accommodated - in a segregated north stand?

Edited by kni

Here we go again. As soon as the club decide something that doesn't suit some fans we hear the same old shite - "We're being treated appallingly", "Only Thistle would do this", "The board take the fans for granted", "They're only in it for themselves", "They're ripping us off". And then, "I'm not buying a season ticket", "I'm boycotting..." enter as appropriate, "They're not getting my money" and on ad infinitum.

Sometimes it's just what it appears to be - some folk just doing there best for the club as they see it.

Fck sake,chill out, eh?

• Like 2

The Celtic thingy riles me as well tho' I'm not sure Beattie's hands aren't tied, even if the rope is a bit loose. Also I'm like a lot of others sceptical about the whole Propco business. One other possible negative, which to be fair is rather intangible, could be our chairman's dealings with league reconstruction, the sevco saga and SPL2. I get the impression that he's not always been close to the views of the majority of Jags fans when discussing, voting on or the "show of handing" so popular at the SFL

That said compare Beattie with other current or recent chairmen, like Johnston, Yorkston, Thompson etc then our David is like a god. Keeping the debt in check, setting sensible playing staff budgets, showing faith in untried managers and being supportive of the One Thistle concept appear to be big plus signs. We're in better shape off and on the pitch now than when he took over even if he hardly hit the ground running earlier.

Here we go again. As soon as the club decide something that doesn't suit some fans we hear the same old shite - "We're being treated appallingly", "Only Thistle would do this", "The board take the fans for granted", "They're only in it for themselves", "They're ripping us off". And then, "I'm not buying a season ticket", "I'm boycotting..." enter as appropriate, "They're not getting my money" and on ad infinitum.

Sometimes it's just what it appears to be - some folk just doing there best for the club as they see it.

Fck sake,chill out, eh?

i can't see anyone saying anything like that on the thread. what are you talking about?

Statement re segregation.

During meetings around this matter the Police Football Intelligence Unit raised concerns as to the increased use of flares by sections of some away support, citing a number of incidents that have taken place over the last season. This, coupled with our own experiences of flares at Firhill over the last couple of season, meant that it is something we have to seriously consider as the consequences of incendiary devices in a wooden clad stand are there for all to see.

IIRC only the OF fans have set off flares at Firhill.

"Unfortunately events overtook that consultation process as the timings around the renewal of the Safety Certificate meant that a strict segregation policy which banned Celtic Supporters from the Main Stand was enforced. In essence this left the Club with a Fait Accompli regards moving our own fans."

So the main stand ban applies to Celtic fans only who, contrary to Beattie's comments, have been singled out.

Beattie is now saying that the main stand will only be used by Jags fans! Where will the other clubs' away fans be accommodated - in a segregated north stand?

all a bit confusing. no away fans in the main stand at all then? or are celtic fans being singled out, which is contrary to Beattie's comments. Not having a go at Beattie but this is like the sevco thing last year when no one knew what the hell thistle were doing.

Edited by yokerjag

Reads to me like one of two possibilities here.

1) Media exaggerating what's actually been said and Jags fans will have the North stand for most games.

2) Board decided (whether influenced by police pressure or not) to remove Jags fans from North stand and have been announcing it in stages (first stage only applies to Celtic games) to minimise fan reaction.

you need to read the celtic thread then pretty much all the above

i don't see anything in this thread that is over the top. re the celtic thread i can understand why people are upset about it. it's a public forum to debate all things thistle. not a thistle love-in. look at any forum on the net and you will see "negative" comments it's a fact of life.

1) Media exaggerating what's actually been said and Jags fans will have the North stand for most games.

2) Board decided (whether influenced by police pressure or not) to remove Jags fans from North stand and have been announcing it in stages (first stage only applies to Celtic games) to minimise fan reaction.

that's what i'm worried about

Or 3) - Non-Celtic away fans in a segregated north stand.

i don't see anything in this thread that is over the top. re the celtic thread i can understand why people are upset about it. it's a public forum to debate all things thistle. not a thistle love-in. look at any forum on the net and you will see "negative" comments it's a fact of life.

i can't see anyone saying anything like that on the thread. what are you talking about?

was in answer to your post above nothing to do with "a thistle love-in" as you put it