Ptfc Vs Aufc

The Cup

• Members

I think we'll be 3 or 4 games into the league season before we have any idea of what players Archie intends to go with on a regular basis. We looked much better in the centre of the park when Bannigan and Welsh came on. I don't know what it is about Welsh, but he certainly does seem to attract an awful lot of bad challenges and I think he'll be out again quite a lot this season.

I think we'll be 3 or 4 games into the league season before we have any idea of what players Archie intends to go with on a regular basis. We looked much better in the centre of the park when Bannigan and Welsh came on. I don't know what it is about Welsh, but he certainly does seem to attract an awful lot of bad challenges and I think he'll be out again quite a lot this season.

From watching the Dundee Utd game I felt Welsh likes to take a little too much time on the ball, but he's generally moving forwards and good at protecting the ball so will get fouled a lot as a result. it's good for slowing the game down when we need to and for keeping possession (provided we're awarded the foul) however it isn't so good when you've got chocolate ankles!

Strange game as at times we looked streets ahead of them and at times we looked woeful. We certainly looked a lot better when Bannigan and Welsh came on but despite what some have said I though Osbourne had a pretty good game.

Gabriel looked good most of the time, won his fair share of headers but got caught out for one or two and allowed players in behind him which caused us problems. His tackle on the Ayr player in the box was very well timed but I think the intial mistake was his to let the guy through but I might be wrong.

Thought Mark Kerr was poor, how he got MOTM is beyond me.

I felt a little sorry for Baird as the service to him was horrific at times. He made a few good runs but the ball never made it to him and he fed off punts up the park for the most part. He said when he signed that he didn't want to be out on the wings, so to see Archie putting him there was surprising considering his form through the middle for Dundee.

Not sure how well Baird will do if that pattern continues.

I missed the DU game and was really looking forward to this, but maybe the number of changes led to a disjointed performance.

if he was another franz beckenbauer then he wouldn't be playing for thistle but i reckon the lad was pretty impressive given that it was his first experience of scottish fitba'

He was fine overall but I don't think it's asking too much (or tacitly suggesting he should be the next beckenbaur) that he brings the ball out of defence himself in the way that our other centre halves often do. Still, he's got one of the best coaches in the business to learn from in shaggie so I'm confident he'll pick it up.