Ptfc Vs Aufc

The Cup

I don't think he should make too many changes so early in the season. By all means change the subs, but not the starting 11. We need to build continuity and ensure we win the cup tie.

I agree with this, but the players put a hell off a lot into last nights game so we may have a few tired legs, I really want us to go all the way to Hampden in this tournament (And the Scottish Cup)

The Cups should be high on our agenda. We could get away with 2 or 3 changes here but probably not in the next round...

Absolutely. Apart from the financial awards, progress in the cup competitions is a very important part of everybody's season. Maybe the likes of Man Utd can afford to dismiss competitions like the League Cup as of no significance - but Thistle ??

I don't think he should make too many changes so early in the season. By all means change the subs, but not the starting 11. We need to build continuity and ensure we win the cup tie.

I would start Baird and rest Fraser as we have plenty of options in midfield.

When I seen last night selection I was slightly concerned it was based on sentiment for last year more than anything. If you bring in that many new players and only one is deemed good enough to make the team that tells you something. However I was wrong to be concerned and the team from mostly last season held heir own. What it does show me is that we have a decent squad. Archie must keep these new guys interested and involved and that is why I think he mill make at least 5 changes. Looking forward to seeing some of these guys and this is an ideal game to play them.

Absolutely. Apart from the financial awards, progress in the cup competitions is a very important part of everybody's season. Maybe the likes of Man Utd can afford to dismiss competitions like the League Cup as of no significance - but Thistle ??

I don't see replacing Fraser with Osbourne and Balatoni with Gabriel, for example, as showing a disregard for the cup. We've got a squad where the majority are of fairly equal ability - I'd make a few changes for this one. Santana's team would do me fine.

It is only the second competitive game so making five changes would hardly disrupt a settled team. I'd bring in Osbourne, Mukendi, Baird, Forbes and McMillan if fit - out goes Doolan, Craigen, Fraser, Bannigan and O'Donnell.

I think keeping Muirhead/Balatoni playing together is important, they haven't had much time together pre-season and centre backs can cope playing every game so no need to rest them.

EDIT: This should give Craigen, Fraser and Bannigan good rests for the County game and let us see what Baird can do from a starting berth - all be it against lowly opposition.

Edited by read'n'yell

I can see where you are coming from with this but at the same time I think Archie will see this as an opportunity to give some game time to a number of the players who didn't feature against United. I can see Collina, Osbourne & Piccolo all starting and wouldn't be surprised to see Murray & Baird on from the start as well. When all said and done these players need to be match ready when called upon for league games and the match against Ayr would be an ideal competitive tune up for them. I would hope if this does happen that we would have a very strong subs bench available........in case needed :happy2:

The Cups should be high on our agenda. We could get away with 2 or 3 changes here but probably not in the next round...

We could make 11 changes and still beat Ayr.

I want to see the new guys get a chance and give the 1st team a rest before our winnable trip to Dingwall on Saturday.

With today's games out of the way if we beat Ayr we would get one of the following as we would be seeded.

Hamilton

Raith Rovers

Dumbarton

Cowdenbeath

Dunfermline

Airdrieonians

Queen of the South

Alloa

Forfar

Stranraer

Montrose

If we go out Hamilton are then bumped up into the seeds and replaced by Ayr in the unseeded group.

Wouldn't be surprised if almost the whole team is changed, the cup is important but we have a big squad at the moment & they are all going to need games, not just for fitness but to gel & make a push for the starting XI in league matches.

Gallacher

McMillan

Gabriel

Balatoni

Sinclair

Kerr

Osbourne

Forbes

Mukendi

Elliott

Baird

Subs:

Fox

Muirhead

Bannigan

Lawless

Doolan

I agree that we probably have a good enough squad to make several changes and still win, but we nearly came unstuck vs Queens Park last season doing just that.

We've had this in another thread. Have a look at that starting XI. The only error I recall was putting two rookie defenders in front of an inexperienced goalie.If you include Paton eight of the ten outfield players started the game last night.

• Like 1

I doubt there will be as many changes as some are predicting. Like some have already pointed out, we made five changes against Queen's Park last year and changed our set-up slightly too which nearly saw us come unstuck - as an aside, I often wonder what would have happened to our season had we lost that game 4-3...

From a fans perspective, we'd all like to see as many of the new boys as possible but I suspect that it will be limited. I would be very reluctant to break up the back four - five including Fox; the more they play together, the better. I would like Bannigan and Welsh to get another hour under their belts despite them looking pretty fit on Friday and I'd also like to continue with Doolan up front - one goal and he'll off and running. Osbourne, Mukendi and Forbes would be the only changes for me.

Quite fancy us to do reasonably well in the League Cup this year.