Youth Teams Season's Start This Weekend

billko

All the youth teams will be in action this weekend as the season gets underway for the young Jags.

Huge changes with the youth set up this year with Thistle competing at all age groups and would like to wish all the boys and coaches good luck for the season ahead.

Edited by billko

and a big ditto from me :thumbsup2:

I think you said your laddie plays for one of the teams, billko. Hope he has a great season.

Thanks and he is really looking forward to his second season with Thistle.

They play good football and should do well this season

First up is a home game against Ayr and this should be a good game.

Good to see from that report that it would seem all our youth teams are playing in the same style as the big team. It means if/when any of them break through into the big team they are thoroughly embedded into the attacking/passing style we want to play. It's great to see the club has belief enough in our system to do this.

It has to be remembered - something no commentator on our games so far has mentioned, probably because they are unaware of it - that we didn't just decide to play the way we do. It took a couple of seasons of trying variations on formation, and players out until we got it right.

That's why I think punters and opposition fans who think our bubble will burst, that we're just going through a promoted team confidence factor period of good form which won't last are wrong. The way we play is so embedded in the players now they won't lose their confidence in playing it easily. We will lose games but I believe when that happens we will quickly come back.

• Like 1

Good to see from that report that it would seem all our youth teams are playing in the same style as the big team. It means if/when any of them break through into the big team they are thoroughly embedded into the attacking/passing style we want to play. It's great to see the club has belief enough in our system to do this.

It has to be remembered - something no commentator on our games so far has mentioned, probably because they are unaware of it - that we didn't just decide to play the way we do. It took a couple of seasons of trying variations on formation, and players out until we got it right.

That's why I think punters and opposition fans who think our bubble will burst, that we're just going through a promoted team confidence factor period of good form which won't last are wrong. The way we play is so embedded in the players now they won't lose their confidence in playing it easily. We will lose games but I believe when that happens we will quickly come back.

Last year was the first season together for this squad and was a bit of a rollercoaster ride with mixed results throughout the season but they always tried to play in the correct manner of getting the ball on the deck, playing from the back etc.

Physically they were not as strong as some teams but technically they were better and it's a credit to the folk at Thistle to go with this type of player rather than brute strength and playing the direct route of long ball football like some teams do.

This season they will be more of a match for these more physical teams but will still stick to the style of football they are accustomed to and i think they will do very well this season.

Formation wise they will set up very much like the first team and i imagine this will be done throughout the age groups.

I really think it's the way forward for teams in Scotland now to have good youth set ups and hopefully Thistle can get some talented players from their set up in the future

Edited by billko

I noticed on the radio over the weekend they were questioning the merits of the current U20 set up, saying that they should bring back reserve fixtures instead so that U20's got used to playing alongside more physical players and also learning from more experienced ones too

Are teams not allowed to use some over age players in the u20's? (players returning from injury etc)

I think this league is a great idea and encourages football development to continue for these young lads after 17's

Mark Wotte seems the one behind this venture which was also supported by the clubs

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/under-20-league-2012-04-12/

I noticed on the radio over the weekend they were questioning the merits of the current U20 set up, saying that they should bring back reserve fixtures instead so that U20's got used to playing alongside more physical players and also learning from more experienced ones too

There are always Neanderthals who think kick and rush and being hard is the only way to play. The simple answer is real skill can only be learnt early. Developing skills and passing and movement is best learned when young. The physical side can be learned at any age.

I'm sure young players see enough of what goes on with older players not to be too shocked when they step up to a level to have to deal with it. Besides when young players look good enough to be prepared for the physical side it's commonplace to send them out on loan to lower league teams where they will be able to be acclimatised to it.

There are always Neanderthals who think kick and rush and being hard is the only way to play. The simple answer is real skill can only be learnt early. Developing skills and passing and movement is best learned when young. The physical side can be learned at any age.

I'm sure young players see enough of what goes on with older players not to be too shocked when they step up to a level to have to deal with it. Besides when young players look good enough to be prepared for the physical side it's commonplace to send them out on loan to lower league teams where they will be able to be acclimatised to it.

Totally agree with you, think this is the excuse for Scotland getting pumped off Engerland at U21, what the likes of Thistle and other clubs are doing by playing young boys in the 1st team must surely benefit the game in the long term, our only problem is our U20 team contains half the 1st team

our only problem is our U20 team contains half the 1st team

Last weeks team contained two over age players (Paul Gallacher & Gabriel) standing in for Watters & Lindsay

Team was Gallacher, Meechan, Keenan, Gabriel, Brownlie, Wilson, Martin, Lee Gallacher, Duggan, Colina, Leydon

The likes of McDaid & McAleer were rested. Of the under age players I can only imagine seeing Colina, McDaid & Lindsay play for the first team and that would possibly be only in an injury crisis. Loan players Fraser & Mukendi obviously qualify as well.

Last year was the first season together for this squad and was a bit of a rollercoaster ride with mixed results throughout the season but they always tried to play in the correct manner of getting the ball on the deck, playing from the back etc.

Physically they were not as strong as some teams but technically they were better and it's a credit to the folk at Thistle to go with this type of player rather than brute strength and playing the direct route of long ball football like some teams do.

This season they will be more of a match for these more physical teams but will still stick to the style of football they are accustomed to and i think they will do very well this season.

Formation wise they will set up very much like the first team and i imagine this will be done throughout the age groups.

I really think it's the way forward for teams in Scotland now to have good youth set ups and hopefully Thistle can get some talented players from their set up in the future

Good to hear the updates about the youth setups Bilko and glad to hear your son is enjoying playing with the Jags mate :thumbsup2:
  • Like 1

Is anyone at tonights game?

I went along last night to have a look. United deservedly won the game, and did so quite comfortably, but it was more of reserve team that they played with various players having already featured for the first team. The second goal from Ciftci was a great strike, sailing into the top corner and giving Waters no chance.

It would have been a good lesson for the younger boys as a fair few of them were chasing shadows, particularly Leyden and McDaid when he came on. I've watched McDaid a couple of times now and he has a habit of almost tripping over the ball because he's trying to do things too quickly; hopefully playing regularly will help him develop a bit more composure on the ball because he looks like he has a bit of talent. David Wilson was probably the pick for me; he has the ability to glide past players, slightly reminiscent of Erskine, but is currently a little too right footed which sometimes limits him at times and causes him to funnel play into the direction he's facing. He plays a bit of blind-side reverse pass to compensate for not using his left foot - Russell Latapy used to do something quite similar - which is great when it comes off but can often catch the receiving player unaware.

Dale Keenan is also capable of gliding past players from left-back but perhaps lacks the athleticism to be considered a genuine potential replacement for Sinclair once he moves on. I think he would benefit more from a loan deal where he'll get some competitive game time; I know he was at East Fife last season but he never played much. Even though he never played last night, I imagine McAleer could well be in a similar boat and may develop better with a loan move.

I was interested to see Chris Duggan but he was well-marshalled by the United defence. He was busy and put in a tireless shift so it was quite easy to see where he gets his goals but he didn't have much chance to show off much in the way of technique or approach play. Gallagher put in a decent performance in midfield and has filled out slightly since I last watched him - needs to lift his head more though.

What was encouraging, though, was the way that the team was set-up and how they tried to play. As the game wore on, they got a little frustrated and went back-to-front occasionally but they were up against a very good United team.

• Like 2

Good to hear the updates about the youth setups Bilko and glad to hear your son is enjoying playing with the Jags mate :thumbsup2:

Thanks for that and i will keep updates coming on how they are doing this season.

As for my boy like all the others are enjoying being a part of this and they were all buzzing after training tonight as they signed up for the season.

Agreed keep the updates coming and when are we scheduling your "Conversion" you know its coming, its not happened yet but its inevitable

Don't know about a full conversion but maybe be part Jag. :D

If you had seen me at the Morton game you would think i was already converted but you do get carried away at times in that atmosphere. :D

Partick Thistle Under 14's took on Cowdenbeath yesterday and started the match really well then had mad 10min spell to let opposition back into the match but some of the football this team play is great to watch and at one stage showed an excellent show of keeping the ball with a staggering amount of 37 passes and only the Cowdenbeath goalkeeper making a great save stopped it from being an excellent finish.Now 2 wins in 2 for this squad but most importantly the football they are playing at times is a joy to watch. Tough one next weekend against Dumbarton who have strengthened considerably over the summer.