Oh Ah! Rangers In Trouble.

Steven H

One thing I do remember is that under the next manager (Cormack I think) we were looking a good bet to come straight back up but Mo Johnson, our main goal threat, was sold before the end of the season. This was before the days of Bosman and transfer windows. We could still have sold him at the end of the season - perhaps for a little less money but with a good chance of being in the top league when it happened.

In a way history repeating itself. About twenty years earlier we sold Joe McBride very early season. Joe then scored 51 goals in 88 appearances for Motherwell. We ended up the season he left a mere 11 points behind the winners. Not ridiculous to imagine McBride chipping in with an extra 20 or so goals and that could just about have made the difference. Ifs and buts of course and we can only dream.

Btw Joe went on to score at a rate of a goal a game for Celtic.A real loss to the Jags.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Under Bertie we sold Alan Hansen, Joe Craig, Ronnie Glavin, Doug Somner, Colin McAdam and Jim Melrose for something in region I believe of £700k the most Bertie spent was 60k on Kenny Watson

I was going to say surely not but Hansen (£110K), McAdam (£160K) and Melrose (£250K) is £500,000+ alone. Wow. Reasonable sums, at our level, to get for a player today but late 70s and early 80s fantastic fees.

Can it not be argued that Alex Ferguson is directly responsible for just how poor Manchester United now are? By not investing long-term in the squad he used up all the bog roll before buggering off out of the loo. You could blame it on the owners - they obviously have their faults - but it's not as if they haven't splashed insane amounts of cash when asked - this season and last.

It could equally be argued that John Lambie was in part to blame for what happened after him after failing to invest in the future but that is a can of worms I'm not brave enough to open. :-)

Whilst it is certainly true that Auld benefited from the inheritance of the MacParland era - Auld was probably forced to become the pragmatist which did result in a lot of negativity about the tactics employed by his teams - Easter Road, Tynecastle, Pittodrie and Tannadice probably being the sites of some of the more (in)famous examples of such tactics. Having said that there might have been a grudging acknowledgement from other managers at the time that such tactics were a necessary evil when survival was the primary aim of any season - it was 2 points for a win and 2 down from a 10 team league after all.

After the MacParland era I imagine any change was going to be difficult for supporters to adapt to - I certainly struggled on occasions when a team full of skillful and adventurous players barely crossed the half-way line protecting a 1-0 lead at Tynecastle against a hopeless, hapless Hearts (Alex O'Hara scored - it was on the telly and the "highlights" lasted about 90 seconds as I recall). However, needs must, and the tactics were, generally speaking, at least fruitful if not exactly sparkling. Auld left to bore Hibernian supporters, whose laughable and misguided opinions as to how they should play football inevitably led to his fairly brief tenure at Easter Road, but by the same token Peter Cormack's rather more forward thinking style of play resulted in the start of our rather painful decline.

It is strange looking back that Auld was considered a defensive manager when nowadays to play more than one player as an out-and-out attacker is deemed to be almost suicidally adventurous, but nowadays I suppose the players are quicker and fitter and a four year old could blooter a 60 yard shot with a modern ball at 60mph.

As for thread drift - the previous, and now defunct, Rangers were frequently in trouble against us back in that era - so on topic! :frantic::crazy:

Edited by JeanieD

Ah yes, wait until a thread you have no interest in has gone to 3 pages and then post the entirely predictable "sarcastic" comment. No doubt you din't bother to read it as you find the topic boring?

I didnt wait til it was 3 pages in, I commented soon as I seen another rangers topic. yes you're right I didnt care to read it cos whenever I see something posted about rangers it makes me yawn sorry rather talk about thistle

• 1 month later...

Oh dear, the blue-tinted hunter gatherers are a wee toaty baw herr away from Admin II, but are saved by an "emergency loan" of a whopping £2m loan from fat Cashley of Newcastle fame / notoriety.

Literally 3-4 weeks away from another flirtation with extinction, they sure know a thing or two about brinkmanship. If that shower won a 6 month Euromillions rollover, they'd be begging for spare change the week after. If there is a natural order of survival in the world of sport, this mob need to be allowed to pass away peacefully for theirs and all our sakes.

Tapping Cashley for sweetie money must mean they're goosed in real terms. Wee question for the SFA is whether they will enforce what seems to be a breach of his earlier undertaking that he'll maximise his stake at Hunbrox at no more than 10%, as well ensuring that he no influence at board level. Who's kiddin who??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29793747

• Like 1

That £2 million will last 4 weeks, then what? Ashley gets the car park and Edminston house as the collateral for the debt, admin is still around the corner but seems Ashley is starting to ensure assets are his prior to it happening, then he can get rid of the high earners without buying out their contracts, he will have the assets secured on this loan, merchandising and copyright

I don't think Ashley is putting his money in just to lose it. If he can get his company name all over Europe for a fraction of the money he throws at newcastle, then he will. Don't see this is a bad thing for Rangers. If he can get his hands on total control for a pittance (compared to what he spends at newcastle) and ploughs in 10-15 million, per yr, then he should save a fortune on output of cash compared to what he does right now and should get him free advertisement for his company, with this company name on their tops.

Also think he will reign in all the mad spending that is going on and bring in his own men on the board and manager.

^^ Spot on to the last detail. He already has total control of hunwear and the naming rights (pfffft!) to the stadium. No longer a question of what he might or might do with all these stealthily acquired assets and power at the top table, because they are as fcuked as it's possible to be.

ETA was pointing to Norge's post, but in also in agreement with the above post.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

I don't think Ashley is putting his money in just to lose it. If he can get his company name all over Europe for a fraction of the money he throws at newcastle, then he will. Don't see this is a bad thing for Rangers. If he can get his hands on total control for a pittance (compared to what he spends at newcastle) and ploughs in 10-15 million, per yr, then he should save a fortune on output of cash compared to what he does right now and should get him free advertisement for his company, with this company name on their tops.

Also think he will reign in all the mad spending that is going on and bring in his own men on the board and manager.

How does he reign in the mad spending when they are all on long contracts and over the top wages? Who will quit? Who will be bought?

Easiest way is admin, default on the £2 million, claim the albion & edminston, break the players & management contracts, keep his retail and scoop it up for a song

The last bit is much easier said than done, though. He will certainly try to rein in all mad spending, but I'm not sure if he fully understands what a ravenous, uncontrollable beast sevco is: this a club who, in its former incarnation, showed standard administration to be meaningless and pointless. They effectively chose extinction rather than at least attempt to pay any of their debts to creditors. Sevco is a sub-culture which defies the logic and reasoning of normal institutions. Their we arra peepul psyche pervades all and any rationality, and I think Ashley will find this out to his cost irrespective of how well he is controlling operations.