Scotland - Belgium

The Cup

Whittaker by all accounts has hit the ground running this year for Norwich - scored two and set up at least one. If he can cut it in the EPL, then he should be able to against Belgium, considering their whole team plays in the same division. Hutton as well is a player that I'm not entirely convinced about - on his day he can be great but too often he gets caught out of position - being shut out at Aston Villa won't help this much. But that is two full backs, both with potential to drive forward, which makes the difference in the modern game - hence why we are so threatening going forward. Neither are world class but neither is Scotland just now.

EDIT: Rhodes or Griffiths up front? Rhodes for me.

Edited by read'n'yell

The others are certainly not needed as we have plenty of cover in those positions but we don't have the players good enough (IMO) for the LB position and resort to playing folk out of position to fill that role.

As for your second point Strachan is not the type to be a yes man and the only way we will get to future tournaments is to develop kids into quality players like most other countries are doing.

We have the battling qualities and can try to make them organised by being hard to beat but we lack the technical skills of most nations.and this is where we need to start getting it right.

And this is where the SFA have let us down all the way down the years. We were supposed to have an international youth policy back in the 90s..what happened to it? Even before then so called investigation by ex SFA president Ernie Walker was supposed to provide a plan and ended up just a long freebie for him and his mates.

Of course the top clubs are as much to blame, bringing in (often) 2nd-rate foreigners instead of developing young players. What decent players we have seen have come through smaller, lower division clubs such as Falkirk and Hamilton.

Whittaker by all accounts has hit the ground running this year for Norwich - scored two and set up at least one. If he can cut it in the EPL, then he should be able to against Belgium, considering their whole team plays in the same division. Hutton as well is a player that I'm not entirely convinced about - on his day he can be great but too often he gets caught out of position - being shut out at Aston Villa won't help this much. But that is two full backs, both with potential to drive forward, which makes the difference in the modern game - hence why we are so threatening going forward. Neither are world class but neither is Scotland just now.

EDIT: Rhodes or Griffiths up front? Rhodes for me.

In the few games both have had, Rhodes has looked better able to handle the international level. I am a bit worried that Griffiths might get the nod simply because he's able to run about a lot. Rhodes is more of a penalty box player I think - though not without energy and good movement. (actually if they want a Miller replacement Mackie would be best but I always think you should put in the guy who's most likely to score goals).

If it is not pandering to Fat Sally etc. can we look forward to other lower league players or even players from unfashionable clubs like ourselves being given a break at international level?

Of course not. It comes down to the individual quality that Wallace has, and he is comfortably better than any other player of the same position playing in Scotland. Superior ability is not the only thing Wallace has compared to other Scottish based left-backs, as I mentioned he also has previous international experience and is likely to be playing at a high level of football at one point in the very near future, at which point he will be expected to come back into the fold, not just as the squad player he is now, but as a key player. Therefore, there are pragmatic grounds on which to justify his inclusion, and I feel it's lazy paranoia to cry about pandering to Sevco.

In any case, we'd have nothing to gain from pandering to anyone. If we were aiming to flog extra tickets, then it's not as if Sevco fans were teetering on the brink, waiting to see if their best player was going to be selected before they bought a ticket: if that was the case they likely wouldn't have been buying a ticket anyway.

On historical 'pandering', LLD already made the point that players who play for the more successful, bigger clubs are likely to be picked. The reality is that, in Scotland at least, these two clubs were Celtic and Rangers, and will be again when Sevco buy their way to the top. Before them it was Aberdeen and DU. The idea of the national team pandering to clubs doesn't exist and never has existed.

So the only team we should talk about on here is thistle, anything but thistle and go somewhere else? With some of the garbage you have said on here in the past months you are in no position to say that. If you wanna talk about fighting go to a boxing gym or the likes. Scotlands international performance relates directly to the scottish game as a whole which includes thistle so take your crap somewhere else.

seriously? the only thing scotland will do for our players is injure them. ****** cretins run that team n they wont get developed by trainin in that squad and not gettin a game. i cant believe that you hate thistle that much u want our players dun in

Of course not. It comes down to the individual quality that Wallace has, and he is comfortably better than any other player of the same position playing in Scotland. Superior ability is not the only thing Wallace has compared to other Scottish based left-backs, as I mentioned he also has previous international experience and is likely to be playing at a high level of football at one point in the very near future, at which point he will be expected to come back into the fold, not just as the squad player he is now, but as a key player. Therefore, there are pragmatic grounds on which to justify his inclusion, and I feel it's lazy paranoia to cry about pandering to Sevco.

Why wasn't he in the original squad? We haven't lost a left back. There has been plenty pandering to Sevco on show in Scottish football.

seriously? the only thing scotland will do for our players is injure them. ****** cretins run that team n they wont get developed by trainin in that squad and not gettin a game. i cant believe that you hate thistle that much u want our players dun in

If Bannigan played for Scotland then we could probably double his valuation.

'So the only team we should talk about on here is thistle, anything but thistle and go somewhere else? With some of the garbage you have said on here in the past months you are in no position to say that. If you wanna talk about fighting go to a boxing gym or the likes. Scotlands international performance relates directly to the scottish game as a whole which includes thistle so take your crap somewhere else.

'So the only team we should talk about on here is thistle, anything but thistle and go somewhere else?' yes, my point exactly. cheers for backin me up, couldnt have put it better masel. cheers, yer a good guy. yes thistle only mate Edited by The Mighty Quinn

There has been plenty pandering to Sevco on show in Scottish football.

Absolutely none by the national team, unless you can provide evidence to the contrary. I've pointed out valid reasons as to why Wallace's inclusion is not pandering of any kind. The assumption upon his conclusion that we were just calling him up to appease the orcish hordes is the lazy, paranoid conclusion, where people have failed to explore these valid reasons.

Absolutely none by the national team, unless you can provide evidence to the contrary. I've pointed out valid reasons as to why Wallace's inclusion is not pandering of any kind. The assumption upon his conclusion that we were just calling him up to appease the orcish hordes is the lazy, paranoid conclusion, where people have failed to explore these valid reasons.

Why do we need a spare left back when none has dropped out of the squad?

And this is where the SFA have let us down all the way down the years. We were supposed to have an international youth policy back in the 90s..what happened to it? Even before then so called investigation by ex SFA president Ernie Walker was supposed to provide a plan and ended up just a long freebie for him and his mates.

Of course the top clubs are as much to blame, bringing in (often) 2nd-rate foreigners instead of developing young players. What decent players we have seen have come through smaller, lower division clubs such as Falkirk and Hamilton.

They are trying to do something now about it but a bit too late if you ask me but at least it's a start.

Wotte is running the show with the Elite schools up and down the country but although he will take any credit going with youth squads doing well at the moment it's not his fault if they are doing badly as they are aiming to produce players further down the road and be judged by 2020.

My fear is he will be long gone by then and have raked in alot of money for himself and it will be another false dawn with regards to producing quality homegrown players if his plan fails.

Then we will all be back to square one and throwing money at another think tank on how we produce players of quality in Scotland.

I agree that the top clubs have been a let down over the years in developing talent and they have wasted money on alot of 2nd rate foreigners for years.

Things need to change as money will get tighter in the game up here and development of our youth is going to be important for most if not all clubs.

I see the England FA think they will have a non competitive team due to the amount of foreigners in the EPL

Difference between them and us is they have quality foreign players in that league but it still might mess up their national team longterm because so few homegrown players make it into the teams.

I would like our league to get back to the 3 foreigners rule or something similar in the future so more Scottish players can get regular games at the highest level they can which will help the national team.

Edited by billko

'So the only team we should talk about on here is thistle, anything but thistle and go somewhere else?' yes, my point exactly. cheers for backin me up, couldnt have put it better masel. cheers, yer a good guy. yes thistle only mate

I'd put you at about 17 or 16 from the absolute pish you talk... As was stated before the international set up has a MASSIVE impact upon league football in Scotland, particularly the top league in which we currently ply our trade. It has a direct impact on player values, league value ie tv deals and exposure for individual players, all having a DIRECT impact upon thistle... Bannigan being involved in the u21s playing with and against some of the best you g talent in Europe will have only a positive impact on his playing career and as a consequence his employers, thistle... Dry yer eyes and once they are try opening them and looking at the bigger picture FFS

Edited by flynnthistle
  • Like 2

..... various posts in this thread .....

finally figured out your completely bizzare posts and stance in this thread noel.

you are trying to do a GOTCHA on us all, are you not?

blobby blobby says : must try harder fuzzface

photo14255.jpg

Why do we need a spare left back when none has dropped out of the squad?

In relation to there being a misplaced and embarassing paranoia on this thread about the national manager pandering to Sevco, this is a bizarrely irrelevant question. In any case, it proves my point: if Strachan was pandering to Sevco, why wouldn't he have called him up in the first place?

Ian Black had never been capped for Scotland until he left Hearts and signed for The Rangers FC plying his trade in SFL3.

That's because he was never good enough to be considered for any squad selection before then. His call up on that one occasion, a completely unimportant kickabout with Australia at Easter Road, was on the back of his most impressive run of form in his career, in which he played a pivotal role in winning his club the Scottish Cup. He has, rightly, never been called up since, and unlike Wallace, probably never will be again. So I'm still waiting on this 'evidence'.

It really is unbelievable that people are seriously putting this accusation out there. Particularly when Thistle fans have, on this forum and elsewhere, quite rightly pointed and laughed at the paranoia that comes out of Parkhead and Ibrox like industrial flumes. Sadly it looks like their paranoid ways have rubbed off on others.

finally figured out your completely bizzare posts and stance in this thread noel.

you are trying to do a GOTCHA on us all, are you not?

blobby blobby says : must try harder fuzzface

photo14255.jpg

Is this supposed to make any kind of sense, or are you really just always this stupid?

Football isn't quite as simple as everyone playing one position in one formation so it's quite normal to not replace like for like. Wallace can play left back and midfield, Whittaker and Anya can play either full back position. Mulgrew can play centre back, left back or in midfield.