Scotland - Belgium

The Cup

seriously? the only thing scotland will do for our players is injure them. ****** cretins run that team n they wont get developed by trainin in that squad and not gettin a game. i cant believe that you hate thistle that much u want our players dun in

Ever heard the phrase "look in before you look out"? Think about before posting more rubbish. I wonder if you feel the same way about other national sports as you do here. International competition is a huge part in all sports, your arrogance is astounding. Before quoting me on your other post read on a little too instead of being a journalist about things and picking out a small sentence in the bigger picture.

I wouldn't necessarily say any of our players are ready to step up to international level just yet. However, it is a right slap in the face for every Scottish fullback plying his trade in the so called SPFL to be overlooked for a player playing in the third tier of Scottish football. I happen to think Wallace is actually not a bad player, however I seriously doubt he can make the step up from the so called First Division to an international game against one of the top rated sides in the world at present. Put plainly, it is an obvious and pathetic sop to Sevco and the hordes of Mordor who follow them. As for Thompson, other than being an ex-H*n, I fail to see how he justifies his selection. It's decisions like this, that make me seriously question the degree of freedom a Scotland manager possess when selecting his team. I can see that in days gone by it would have been necessary, if not justifiable to include a certain number of Rangers players to guarantee a crowd. However, I would have thought those days were long gone, apparently not.

Great post!

I personally disagree with Wallace's inclusion, purely on the grounds of his current level of football being completely out of line with what can be expected at international level. The gulf is absolutely massive, and I feel it would be too big an ask of him if he was called upon.

However, the theme to this thread about his inclusion being an aim to appease Rangers fans is paranoia that is cringeworthy and embarassing in the extreme. Whilst I disagree with Wallace's call-up, there's actually perfectly understandable grounds for Strachan including him. One being that he offers previous experience of being in and playing for the national team, something that alternative options in the Scottish Premiership do not have.

A second reason being that, taking his current level of football out of the equation, he probably quite comfortably goes into the top two players of that position who are available to us.

Thirdly, he is young enough for the drop down to Sevco not to have completely tarnished his internatinal career: he will be playing in the Scottish top flight or better in the very near future. Therefore, there is a degree of sense in including him with a view to preparing for the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign. After all, the Kenny Miller haters wouldn't stop bumping their gums about how that was exactly what we had to do, when clamouring for untried options to be played in the lone-forward position.

The overreaction to this, particularly considering he is being called up as little more than a squad player, is laughable.

Best quote of the thread

I personally disagree with Wallace's inclusion, purely on the grounds of his current level of football being completely out of line with what can be expected at international level. The gulf is absolutely massive, and I feel it would be too big an ask of him if he was called upon.

However, the theme to this thread about his inclusion being an aim to appease Rangers fans is paranoia that is cringeworthy and embarassing in the extreme. Whilst I disagree with Wallace's call-up, there's actually perfectly understandable grounds for Strachan including him. One being that he offers previous experience of being in and playing for the national team, something that alternative options in the Scottish Premiership do not have.

A second reason being that, taking his current level of football out of the equation, he probably quite comfortably goes into the top two players of that position who are available to us.

Thirdly, he is young enough for the drop down to Sevco not to have completely tarnished his internatinal career: he will be playing in the Scottish top flight or better in the very near future. Therefore, there is a degree of sense in including him with a view to preparing for the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign. After all, the Kenny Miller haters wouldn't stop bumping their gums about how that was exactly what we had to do, when clamouring for untried options to be played in the lone-forward position.

The overreaction to this, particularly considering he is being called up as little more than a squad player, is laughable.

Then why didn't Strachan pick him first time for the squad?

In relation to there being a misplaced and embarassing paranoia on this thread about the national manager pandering to Sevco, this is a bizarrely irrelevant question. In any case, it proves my point: if Strachan was pandering to Sevco, why wouldn't he have called him up in the first place?

In what way is it "bizarrely irrelevant"? Wallace doesn't cover the guys who dropped out (though I accept that they could do a shuffle and make room for him).

Regarding an earlier quote from you, it is not possible to ignore the low level at which Wallace is playing. Or at least it shouldn't be. As to looking to the future, when our qualifying campaign for Euro2016 starts, unless he gets transferred, he will be playing in the SPFL Championship at best. Still not adequate for our aspirations.

As to Ian Black, that Australia match was 3 weeks before we started our miserable attempt to qualify for the World Cup. Friendly or not, his selection for that fixture was even more ridiculous than selecting Wallace. There was no footballing justification for it unless Levein was willing to pick guys from SFL3 for future internationals.

Edited by David Stevenson

I'm feeling positive about this. I think we'll get at least a draw. Totally no logic or evidence to support this theory but that's my feeling. Hope Thistle fans are going along. You can still buy tickets online to collect from SFA website or buy from portakabins at Hampden. There will be 7000 Belgians there so need to make sure we support Gordon Strachan and build towards 2016.

Absolutely none by the national team, unless you can provide evidence to the contrary. I've pointed out valid reasons as to why Wallace's inclusion is not pandering of any kind. The assumption upon his conclusion that we were just calling him up to appease the orcish hordes is the lazy, paranoid conclusion, where people have failed to explore these valid reasons.

In relation to there being a misplaced and embarassing paranoia on this thread about the national manager pandering to Sevco, this is a bizarrely irrelevant question. In any case, it proves my point: if Strachan was pandering to Sevco, why wouldn't he have called him up in the first place?

That's because he was never good enough to be considered for any squad selection before then. His call up on that one occasion, a completely unimportant kickabout with Australia at Easter Road, was on the back of his most impressive run of form in his career, in which he played a pivotal role in winning his club the Scottish Cup. He has, rightly, never been called up since, and unlike Wallace, probably never will be again. So I'm still waiting on this 'evidence'.

It really is unbelievable that people are seriously putting this accusation out there. Particularly when Thistle fans have, on this forum and elsewhere, quite rightly pointed and laughed at the paranoia that comes out of Parkhead and Ibrox like industrial flumes. Sadly it looks like their paranoid ways have rubbed off on others.

Couldn't agree more. To suggest that Wallace has been called up to the squad to pander to Rangers is simply ludicrous.

Then why didn't Strachan pick him first time for the squad?

Yeah, why is it only now that Strachan has decided to appease the Rangers fans? Why not when the original squad was announced?

Do you think that Rangers or their fans complained about not having any players in the squad and Strachan then obliged?

Yeah, why is it only now that Strachan has decided to appease the Rangers fans? Why not when the original squad was announced?

Do you think that Rangers or their fans complained about not having any players in the squad and Strachan then obliged?

Maybe Strachan didn't do it to appease Sevco fans! Maybe he done it for the reasons NE states, makes sense. Or maybe he was told by someone higher up the food chain to 'appease Rangers'?

FWIW, I don't believe any of our squad is ready for the national side but a few have potential to be over the next few years. Aaron T Sinclar not being called up is nothing to get our knickers in a twist over, he's not ready and he has a contract extension to sign before he is classified as a full international ;)

Glasgow has been red and yellow for 24 hours. Felt like I was on an away day after work yesterday with the red n yella Belgians on the train to Hampden for a training session. Can't remember seeing so many away international fans in Glasgow, seen loads of them trooping around town, west end and deep saaaf.

Happy to see Belgium win tonight. With Uruguay still flying high and the emergence of the Belgians we've got the best chance of a diddy nation winning the World Cup since Scotland in 78.

Glasgow has been red and yellow for 24 hours. Felt like I was on an away day after work yesterday with the red n yella Belgians on the train to Hampden for a training session. Can't remember seeing so many away international fans in Glasgow, seen loads of them trooping around town, west end and deep saaaf.

Happy to see Belgium win tonight. With Uruguay still flying high and the emergence of the Belgians we've got the best chance of a diddy nation winning the World Cup since Scotland in 78.

This plus Hazard ripping 2nd division, pity choice man Wallace inside out.

This plus Hazard ripping 2nd division, pity choice man Wallace inside out.

:lol:

Watched him ripping a Bayern Munich defence up last week but i suppose that doesn't matter.

Never have i ever wanted a Scottish player to fail when wearing the dark blue of Scotland but you want one of our own to fail.

You want Scotland and Wallace to fail?

If your not Scottish then i get it but if you are your a bitter moron.

I've NO time for Strachan, but that is utter nonsense to want to see your country lose, unless you are of a different nationality!

**** sake are you really that gullible? Levein did it with Black against Australia. It's a meaningless game so pick some Rangers diddy so the SFA can show the orcs not anti-Rangers.

Ian Black lol. He's so laughably bad even the Rangers fan boo him.

Do you really think Wallace is good enough to play at this level? It was doubtful even when he was playing in the SPL.

Some Rangers fans, that go to the games, are surprised Wallace has been called up and that Stevie Smith could replace him in the Rangers line up.