Thistle 1 Celtic 1 ( 21St February 1980)

The Sunnylaw Jag

Found this wee gem on You Tube , all the way from 1980. It's played on a muddy pitch with plenty of stramashes with Arthur Montford commentating. Amazingly Thistle manage to get an injury time equaliser. Alan Rough saves a penalty also. Thistle line up is Rough, McKinnon, Whittaker, Campbell, McAdam ( his brother Tom is playing for Celtic), Anderson, Doyle, Jardine, Melrose, O'Hara and Park. Paul Wilson makes a rare appearance for the Jags also.

Found this wee gem on You Tube , all the way from 1980. It's played on a muddy pitch with plenty of stramashes with Arthur Montford commentating. Amazingly Thistle manage to get an injury time equaliser. Alan Rough saves a penalty also. Thistle line up is Rough, McKinnon, Whittaker, Campbell, McAdam ( his brother Tom is playing for Celtic), Anderson, Doyle, Jardine, Melrose, O'Hara and Park. Paul Wilson makes a rare appearance for the Jags also.

Great stuff, thanks for posting. The Scruffmeister had a blinder that day.

RIP Colin McAdam

RIP Brian Whittaker

RIP John Doyle

• Like 1

Proper football, no holds bars tackles, fantastic saves from Roughie, great passing on a quagmire pitch from both teams, and what a comeback

I couldnt make the match that day but listened to the match live on the radio and was jumpin about when Jimmy scored the equaliser.

I was at the 3-2 defeat at Parkhead....we got nothin that day from the ref....the Cellic goalie went up for a cross come shot and as he caught it he clearly steppd over the line by a couple of feet....linesman was in front of the jungle and sh*t it. we shouldnt have lost that game.

• Like 1

I was there! Spotted me and my dad a couple of times and scary that that match was 33 years ago. I had longish hair and was still young and single. Spotted the old tunnel to the enclosure 'Gents' and I'm sure I could smell it :thumbsup2:

Oh :thinking: and I remembered that we didn't have wash basins in the 'Gents' in the 80's, come to think of it the urinals didn't have urinals it was brick walls I think and I cannot remember anyone complaining in the good old days. Visiting supporters nowadays are just a shower of nampy pampy big girls blouses! :sarcastic: They should go to the loo before they leave home like my mummy taught me! :innocent: and I now teach my grand-daughter.

Edited by Tob Jag
  • Like 1

Yeah I remember there was a ladies five a side match at half time and some "big" lassie duly obliged to the moronic chants off " shows yer tits ". This was a few weeks after Erica Roe's streak at an English rugby game. I think we got beat in the game though.

Sounds a big improvement on today's half-time 'entertainment'.

Yeah I remember there was a ladies five a side match at half time and some "big" lassie duly obliged to the moronic chants off " shows yer tits ". This was a few weeks after Erica Roe's streak at an English rugby game.

:happy2: - remember the winning team doing a mini lap of honour in front of the shed (??) and joined in with the green filths 'get yer baps oot for the lads' chanting - well i was a teenager - and she did have a fine pair of whoppers! :thumbsup2: only time ever I've been happy to join in with one of their ditties

I'm pretty sure that was Alan Rough's testimonial v Celtic?

Could be wrong but I was definitely at the game and remember it happening.

If I remember an old man near the tunnel had a stroke and another tried but couldn't reach!!! :lol:

(sorry couldn't resist a joke :red_card: I'll get my coat)

Roughie, surely the greatest ever Scottish goalkeeper. Mind you that Mcgrain fella in the wee teams colours was'nt half bad either.

In my time of watching football - '78 World Cup onwards - Leighton has been the best Scottish keeper. McGrain was a superb full-back - remember the Panini sticker for the '82 WC describing him as Scotland's only 'world class' player - which was bollocks, as Miller, Souness and Dalglish were also in the squad. Edited by Charlie Endell