Tonight's Game

Maestro

Can't believe that we never took something from that game we really should have been out of sight with the chances we had but the goal we conceded was very poor I thought big Conrad was very slow to react given the time there forward had to get the ball over not want to be to harsh on the big man but I don't think he recovered from an earlier knock

Can't believe that we never took something from that game we really should have been out of sight with the chances we had but the goal we conceded was very poor I thought big Conrad was very slow to react given the time there forward had to get the ball over not want to be to harsh on the big man but I don't think he recovered from an earlier knock

The problem was the ball that was lost in the midfield.

Hibs played that move well, and a great finish from Craig. Sometimes you have to give credit to the attacking side. They had one chance and made it count.

We on the other hand.......................

Oh, for someone like Fatso Boyd in our team ...

Watching the match, I couldn't help musing that there must have been loads of pros watching too, thinking to themselves, ".. if I could get in this team, I'd be on a hat-trick already."

Shirley someone would want to come to us, play with such an attractive, football-playing team, score a barrel-load and make themselves a legend without even trying too hard?

I thought Conrad played well. The goal was just really unlucky from his perspective. He made a good solid tackle but the ball took a lucky bounce right back to the striker. Cracking finish, and that was that.

Archie has to stop the love affair with Doolan. Offside 6 times, 4 really good chances, 2 were great yet only 1 was on target. This guy could not score in a Brothel! Baird is not any better, give one of the kids a chance please.

I thought Doolan was superb tonight. However, he's not suited to playing up front on his own. He is superb at holding the ball up (what a first touch!), but needs more support.

Lawless was poor last night (again) and I think Elliot should be given a shout just behind Doolan up front - his pace could be useful. Forbes needs a start too, but not sure who for. However, maybe we need to think about one of Bannigan or Welsh - not that either are bad, but both quite similar. No way should Osbourne be dropped - really coming into his own now.

Anyway, we're in the top flight, playing well - not all doom & gloom! I still can't wait for the next match!

(PS how 'Thistle' would it be to get our first home win against Celtic?)

• Like 1

I thought Doolan was superb tonight. However, he's not suited to playing up front on his own. He is superb at holding the ball up (what a first touch!), but needs more support.

Lawless was poor last night (again) and I think Elliot should be given a shout just behind Doolan up front - his pace could be useful. Forbes needs a start too, but not sure who for. However, maybe we need to think about one of Bannigan or Welsh - not that either are bad, but both quite similar. No way should Osbourne be dropped - really coming into his own now.

Anyway, we're in the top flight, playing well - not all doom & gloom! I still can't wait for the next match!

(PS how 'Thistle' would it be to get our first home win against Celtic?)

I usually quite enjoy your posts, but sorry, I stopped reading this one after your first sentence. I'm not making Dools the fall guy by any manner of means but come off it, superb? Fuxache.

and they're lies the conundrum.

We can't/won't change our system of playing, the whole balance of the team, by playing either two up or one off the shoulder of the striker.

We can't/won't drop Doolan as there's no one in our squad with the close control and first touch to play the lone striker role.

If that's accepted we then have to rely on attacking and central midfielders (bar Osbourne) breaking into striking positions and scoring. By this time last season I recall Lawless and Erskine had scored plenty between them..

But attacking and central midfielders scoring in the top division ain't that easy tho' Lawless and Higginbotham have both won matches for us already.

Tho' I agree with The Sons of Somner that Doolan was far from superb last night you still have to factor in his overall contribution. If you can accept that as positive then perhaps if anyone needs to find a scapegoat for every disappointing result they at least spread the blame around a bit. If our lone striker was a Kris Boyd clone that contributes nothing but goals and is thus based solely on his strike rate then I'd be questioning his worth and looking for alternatives. We've neither the justification or the means to be replacing Kris Doolan.

• Like 1

I usually quite enjoy your posts, but sorry, I stopped reading this one after your first sentence. I'm not making Dools the fall guy by any manner of means but come off it, superb? Fuxache.

:shok:

Seriously though, I do think he played well! Maybe 'superb' was taking it a bit far, but if Elliot, Welsh or even Dools had scored their sitters last night, we wouldn't be moaning - it was one of those nights... (sadly we've had too many already this season, but genuinely think we've had very, very little luck...)

The alternative to Doolan is probably Baird, and whilst I will support him whenever he plays for Thistle, I simply don't think he offers as much to the team as a whole as Doolan. We need to get the others finishing chances too. Still think Lawless needs a kick up the jacksie too...

:shok:

Seriously though, I do think he played well! Maybe 'superb' was taking it a bit far, but if Elliot, Welsh or even Dools had scored their sitters last night, we wouldn't be moaning - it was one of those nights... (sadly we've had too many already this season, but genuinely think we've had very, very little luck...)

The alternative to Doolan is probably Baird, and whilst I will support him whenever he plays for Thistle, I simply don't think he offers as much to the team as a whole as Doolan. We need to get the others finishing chances too. Still think Lawless needs a kick up the jacksie too...

I did read this one all the way through...well said Sir, back on track! :-)

Edited by The Sons of Somner
  • Like 1