Best And Worst Moments Following The Jags

The Cup

The pain, disbelief and desparation of the Dundee United Playoff misery

to the

Dunfermline 5-1 demolition last season en route to a truly memorable league title*.

*a close second was the Inverness away Scottish Cup Quarter Final midweek replay.

Edited by brodieboy

I reckon i was too young to really appreciate '71 at the time so later victories against the old firm were always joyful.Geordie Shaw's last minute winner at Porkheid will live long in my list of great memories but have to say also the nights at the end of last season in the Star and Garter after we won the league were a couple of my best nights as a Jags fan.The red n yella army song that went on for about half an hour was just magic. Lambie singing the Thistle song at Forfar too was brilliant.

Worst nights , the drive home for Tannadice after the play off defeat, The McGilvary refereing against the h*ns( I stll rage at that nearly Twenty years later ) and almost every minute of the Bunnets reign up to the Peterheid game.

Edited by angry gaz

Best - billy gibson free kick and subsequent penalty win. The thistle team was awful that year give or take 2-3 players, but the ecstasy i felt that day is unmatched in my 21 years as a jag.

Worst- leaving gretna 6-0 under dick shambles with something like 5 35+ aged players on the pitch, i just felt we were in a irreversible decline n would never ever see the premier league again. Funny how best n worst occurred in same season.

Yes to the Peterhead game, 2-1 down from home leg, no one gave us a chance. Two others particularly stick in the memory: Peter Lindau's hattrick and promotion at Stirling Albion, and the 2-1 Scottish Cup win at Arbroath with 8 players on the park.

That 6-1 game (Boab got us a consolation) at Gretna with Billy Dodds playing was truly awful, and the home defeat to Ayr Utd that consigned us to the 2nd Division for the first time.

Worst -- Walking home after the Ayr United relegation decider. Felt like we were finished as a club.

Best -- Maybe Damon Grey's goal at Ibrox, the final whistle after beating Morton last season, or one of Fat Boab McCulloch's free kick rocket when we were humping Morton at home. No particular reason, it's just one of the goals that really sticks in my mind - especially chanting "easy, easy" afterwards.

Worst, Bobby Houston's 'offside' goal against the H*n's at Hampden in the SC SF in 1979. The injustice of that decision,left me with a life long dislike verging on hatred of the team from Govan and everything they represent.

Best, funnily enough a 2-1 defeat by Aberdeen again in the Scottish Cup, now this wasn't the Dons of today, but Fergies team with Miller, McLeish and Strachan et al and we played them off the park. I remember Leighton having an incredible save from Donald Park, and the whole thing actually brought a tear to my eye. Remember the crowd being somewhere between 12 and 15.000, we were in our first season after being relegated, I was young and thankfully unaware of travails to come.

Edited by stillresigned

I reckon i was too young to really appreciate '71 at the time so later victories against the old firm were always joyful.Geordie Shaw's last minute winner at Porkheid will live long in my list of great memories but have to say also the nights at the end of last season in the Star and Garter after we won the league were a couple of my best nights as a Jags fan.The red n yella army song that went on for about half an hour was just magic. Lambie singing the Thistle song at Forfar too was brilliant.

Worst nights , the drive home for Tannadice after the play off defeat, The McGilvary refereing against the h*ns( I stll rage at that nearly Twenty years later ) and almost every minute of the Bunnets reign up to the Peterheid game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiUdxXHW97E

MAGIC!

Worst, Bobby Houston's 'offside' goal against the H*n's at Hampden in the SC SF in 1979. The injustice of that decision,left me with a life long dislike verging on hatred of the team from Govan and everything they represent.

Best, funnily enough a 2-1 defeat by Aberdeen again in the Scottish Cup, now this wasn't the Dons of today, but Fergies team with Miller, McLeish and Strachan et al and we played them off the park. I remember Leighton having an incredible save from Donald Park, and the whole thing actually brought a tear to my eye. Remember the crowd being somewhere between 12 and 15.000, we were in our first season after being relegated, I was young and thankfully unaware of travails to come.

I was at that game also stillresigned. Should never have been disallowed !

Watching that again made the hairs on my legs jut out like porcupine quills. I take it that was after the Dunfermline game - I was there after the Falkirk game the week before. An atmosphere that can only be described as better than seeing your weans born, to the power of 25.

One more time, let's hear a massive round of applause for the bar staff; best shift ever performed by licensed premises employees since Jesus's mob done the wine trick.

Agree with loads of these

Other belters for me were

6-0 at Shawfield in c 1984

, 3-1 at love street in 1988,

2-0 home win v Killie to stay up and (i think keep them down - about 1987?

Finally going up in 1992 in a dreadful home 0-0 v Forfar or Brechin

Old firm double in 92-93 the 2-1 at parkhead was amazing as shaw scored so late - huge away support that day went ballistic

Metz support and french reaction

3-2 at fir park in 92-93 after being 2 down

5-1 v pars last season - best ive ever seen us play

Worst ever

Ayr home relegation - thought that was it for us - missed du away thankfully

Two 4-1 defeats v clyde in same season when they shared firhill in the 80s

5-1 defeat at broomfield under Lamont in 80s

5-2 home defeat to morton under johnstone

7-3 home defeat v saints (who went on to get relegated) under rooney?

Most visits to ibrox

Hearing that mojo had been sold to watford - we would have won the league by 20 points that season if he had stayed

One of the best - apart from the League Cup Final - (to which nothing comes even remotely close) - Falkirk away on Xmas Eve 1988, we were bottom, they were top, naturally we won 1-0 - Pat Kelly 9 mins from the end.

Worst - losing a first game of the season at Meadowbank in the mid 80s - we were 2-1 up with about 8 mins to go and contrived to lose 3-2 - bummer!

Thinking about this it's strange how many "worsts" I remember compared to the number of "bests"

Thinking about this it's strange how many "worsts" I remember compared to the number of "bests"

For me the worst just blend into a grey sludge of sitting freezing, wet, miserable in the Jackie Husband stand whilst the team can't bounce the balls off each other's erses ... and Dick Campbell's there. Even when he wasn't.

I think you're right the worst is when you know that mediocrity is not only the dish of the day but the season and you only hope we get bad enough for us to sack the manager. As to the highlights it is those moments when the unexpected happens like George Shaw's late winner at Parkhead but I also loved Tom Smith's equaliser at Parkhead. Not only was it in the last few minutes but an exact replica of the goal had been scored and disallowed only minutes before with Chic hitting the same pinpointed cross again.

There are some magical memories . . but maybe the best is yet to come and maybe this season will add some great moments too.

• Like 1

Billy Gibson's shot skelping off Dougie Cameron's arse, Christie's goal at Airdrie, Damon Gray's goal at Ibrox and Doolan's goal in the cup final all nearly brought me to tears of joy.

Then there's Conrad's missed penalty in said cup final, Pedro Mendes' winner at Firhill and Simon Bloody Donnelly missing that penalty against Rangers. We were on top at that point in the game.

Too many to mention really!

Yeah. I seem to remember the flag going up a ridiculous time after the goal was scored- can't have Rangers eliminated. Also seem to remember h*ns chucking beer cans full of pish down from the old north stand on tt the Thistle fans on the terracing

Yeah. I seem to remember the flag going up a ridiculous time after the goal was scored- can't have Rangers eliminated. Also seem to remember h*ns chucking beer cans full of pish down from the old north stand on tt the Thistle fans on the terracing

To be totally honest I was beginning to think the old memory was playing tricks on me, since I definetly thought I remembered such an incident, but didn't want to say so in case anyone thought I was making it up out of "bigotry".

Aside from the totally biased officials, what in retrospect still wrankles is that that was probably the year our name was on the cup, since I'm sure as ever you can be with Thistle that we would have beaten Hibs in the final. Was that not the year we pumped them senseless at Firhill?

What that game shows for me at any rate is that when your accused of exageratting the amount of help they've had over the years is that its not paranoia but the plain ad honest truth. No doubt we'll see this again next year if Sevco look like struggling in their quest to win promotion back to "their rightful place" in the top tier