Real Jags Versus Inverness Fake Thistle

kni

Well done to James Craigen. I think that the linesman would have allowed the goal had it not been for James running over.

This! If Craigen hadn't immediately protested (and he'd probably have broken up their wee plan if the linesman had allowed him to tackle) then the linesman would have taken the easier option of allowing the goal to stand.

Oh, and a great wee pass by Craigen (after an excellent move) to set up Dools for the first goal. No failures yesterday, once we stopped slipping about and giving away the ball too easily at first. Fox had a couple of excellent saves. Both full-backs were great. Osbourne looked just too good for this league! I thought that Bannigan was back to his normal self, what an engine he has. Doolan: well, what can you you say. Never stops, and scores when he wants. Christie super-sub; puts in a perfectly crafted ball that no keeper on the planet could hold...... Or was it ATS...... ach who cares.

Edited by Jaggernaut

This! If Craigen hadn't immediately protested (and he'd probably have broken up their wee plan if the linesman had allowed him to tackle) then the linesman would have taken the easier option of allowing the goal to stand.

Oh, and a great wee pass by Craigen (after an excellent move) to set up Dools for the first goal. No failures yesterday, once we stopped slipping about and giving away the ball too easily at first. Fox had a couple of excellent saves. Both full-backs were great. Osbourne looked just too good for this league! I thought that Bannigan was back to his normal self, what an engine he has. Doolan: well, what can you you say. Never stops, and scores when he wants. Christie super-sub; puts in a perfectly crafted ball that no keeper on the planet could hold...... Or was it ATS...... ach who cares.

yeah it was ATS who guided in that pin-point cross for Brill to spill!

• Members

Restarted with a free-kick to Thistle.

Thanks CCjag. This raises another question for me now, I'm fairly sure play should have been restarted with a re-take of the corner kick? Sky were showing the incident this morning and also showing a similar case with Manchester United a few seasons back with Rooney rolling the ball backwards and walking towards the penalty box whilst giggs went over as if to take the corner, but instead taking the ball on a few yards before crossing for Ronaldo to score. Much more clear cut than yesterday. The big difference was the kick was ordered to be retaken. (United scored from the retake!)

BR, you've taken that from a really old laws book. The ball having to travel the distance of it's circumferance at a free kick and corner kick was changed years ago. The ball only needs to be kicked and move, which it did. It doesn't even have to leave the arc or travel in a certain direction. I'm as happy as the next Jags fan that the goal was disallowed, but there's no question the corner was correctly taken but the AR stuffed up.

FYI

Procedure

• The ball must be placed inside the corner arc nearest to the point where

the ball crossed the goal line

• The corner flagpost must not be moved

Opponents must remain at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the corner arc until

the ball is in play

• The ball must be kicked by a player of the attacking team

The ball is in play when it is kicked and moves

• The kicker must not play the ball again until it has touched another player

A couple of things in above post I find strange. Nothing to do with the actual rule more I just can't get my head round why it was ever changed.

I've got this mental picture of some Fifa official having a eureka moment,bursting in on a Rules Committee meeting to tell everyone "I've this wonderful idea how we can improve football. Instead of the ball having to travel it's circumference at corners we change the rule to just a simple touch of the ball. Wow! Have I cracked it, or what!"

And I'd have thought by now, with most of the football playing world using the metric system that the 10yd rule would have been changed to 9 or maybe 10 metres. I find it difficult to see how anyone never mind a youngster starting out in the game in a "metric" country can visualise 9.15 metres. There's a rule maybe worth having a wee tweak.

A couple of things in above post I find strange. Nothing to do with the actual rule more I just can't get my head round why it was ever changed.

I've got this mental picture of some Fifa official having a eureka moment,bursting in on a Rules Committee meeting to tell everyone "I've this wonderful idea how we can improve football. Instead of the ball having to travel it's circumference at corners we change the rule to just a simple touch of the ball. Wow! Have I cracked it, or what!"

And I'd have thought by now, with most of the football playing world using the metric system that the 10yd rule would have been changed to 9 or maybe 10 metres. I find it difficult to see how anyone never mind a youngster starting out in the game in a "metric" country can visualise 9.15 metres. There's a rule maybe worth having a wee tweak.

The law makers

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/ifab/

law changes throughout the years

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/history/the-laws/from-1863-to-present.html

The law makers

http://www.fifa.com/...anisation/ifab/

law changes throughout the years

http://www.fifa.com/...to-present.html

Crowds gather outside FIFA HQ, Zurich demanding ball should only need to be only touched at a corner

http://rrj.ca/upload...oreign_main.png

Meanwhile at an emergency meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) ashen faced committee members contemplate the enormity of this proposal.

http://en.subbuteo.c...fault_img05.jpg

• Like 1