Simon Donnelly

Santana

Can someone tell me what he does to warrant a place in the team? I know he scored on Saturday, but he seemed to playing hide 'n' seek all game - like he did against Clyde. So, if the majestical Sid isn't doing much during a game, "isn't a goalscorer or a striker" (as people keep saying), why is he playing upfront?

Discuss.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a room, you two.

Two years ago i was giving Donnelly abuse,i thought he was lazy and inconsistant espescially when the clocks went back and was mince until the fairer weather,but alas he has now won me over and he aint the worst on the team sheet.With Sid i do beleive,rest assured that was not the case a few seasons back.

He might have scored the winner, but he was also largely responsible for the poor performance prior to the goal. He never just shoots. None of our team do apart from Rowson, who somehow never scores! It horrible watching them dither about outside the box playing passes around in front of the defence but without any ability to break through Annan Athletic's back line.

Donnelly was really good until the clocks have went back the last couple of years.

Its worrying that we're still in July and playing 3rd division teams hes looked rubbish. Yeah he scored but Damon Gray and Jukka Santala were piss poor and were regular goal scorers. Looks like we may well get even less again from his this year.

Edited by MWM

Donnelly isnt and never has been a "goal scorer" he will not get you 20 goals a season, Buchanan is your man for that , he is there to try and create the chances for Buchanan.

Last season he had a good return of goals for a 2nd forward, in a pretty poor team. Watch him play closely he always tries to find a man with the ball, no hopeless punts into space, it just happens some of our guys arent on the same footballing universe never mind planet as him.

Although i think we will see him a lot less this season, as Grehan and Buchanan will become the preferred partnership for the wet winter days

On Saturday it was obvious that the Donnelly/Buchanan thing wasn't working, particularly when Buchanan found he had to go deep or wide to get involved and then had no one to service with the ball. Anyone could see that we needed the Greek up front and a more conventional approach with the ball played up the channels and into the box early. Fair enough to bring on Cairney for a bit of bite in the middle, but that should have been coupled with Sid making way for Grehan and Annan would have had to reorganise to counter it.

Mind you all of that presupposes that a mid game tactical change is something that we can pull off.

I struggle to grasp how some people can watch so much football, but can't recognise a football player.

I struggle to grasp how some people have the idea that a if football player doesn't suit the role that he is being asked to play, his talents as a footballer are being criticised.

Examples..

England and the Lampard/Gerrard conundrum, England and the Heskey/Rooney partnership, Barcelona and Henry playing wide midfield, Man United and Forlan in a 442, Gary Harkins as a centre back and so on.

Folk are not daft. They can see that Sid can play football. It's the application of what he does that was in question on Saturday.

I struggle to grasp how some people can watch so much football, but can't recognise a football player.

Absolutely. He always looks like he's got loads of space and time to get his pass away. He always knows what he's doing. He's always got the ball under control. He's just a great player. If the others in the side were of the same level of ability we'd be some team.

McCall doesn't seem to know what to do with him. Donnelly is, as stated above, a "football player", however playing alongside Buchanan doesn't really work, it never really has, and yet we still persist with it.

Instead of having him drop deep all the time slolwing down attacks why don't we play him in that role with 2 forwards ahead of him allowing him to pick the passes we know he can play for the strikers trying to get in past the defenders.

My only real problem with Donnelly is that we know he can hit a ball but he rarely shoots from outside the box, he is the kind of player who would regularly bend them in from 25 yards out if he had a few shots on goal each game.

By all accounts he is getting paid buttons, I think he is the right kind of person to be working with the youth team and he is there to provide an option when need be.

McCall doesn't seem to know what to do with him. Donnelly is, as stated above, a "football player", however playing alongside Buchanan doesn't really work, it never really has, and yet we still persist with it.

Instead of having him drop deep all the time slolwing down attacks why don't we play him in that role with 2 forwards ahead of him allowing him to pick the passes we know he can play for the strikers trying to get in past the defenders.

Was that not what he did in the Clyde match? Sid played 90mins behind Liam (Burns) & Doolan (Grehan). Actually it's a system that we might have to employ as we've little width in the side. Doesn't have to be Donnelly in that role Cairney & MacBeth are well suited to playing in that position.

He might have scored the winner, but he was also largely responsible for the poor performance prior to the goal. He never just shoots. None of our team do apart from Rowson, who somehow never scores! It horrible watching them dither about outside the box playing passes around in front of the defence but without any ability to break through Annan Athletic's back line.

How on earth is it largely Donnellys fault? yes he loses the ball sometimes and plays bad passes---name one player who doesnt do that. He can trap the ball with his first touch far better than anyone else in the team, most of the others 2nd touch is a tackle. I'm not saying Sid is the best we have but he is better than the majority and some of the crticism he gets is uncalled for IMO, and without Sids goals last season we may well be playing 2nd Div football this season.At the moment iwould rather have Sid up front with A N Other before any other partnership

There are far too many people who will never change their mind on him. Hes either amazing or terrible.

The fact is his whole time at the club hes been somewhere in the middle. Hes been good and hes been absolutely stinking too.

Right now hes not playing very good.

Edited by MWM

There are far too many people who will never change their mind on him. Hes either amazing or terrible.

The fact is his whole time at the club hes been somewhere in the middle. Hes been good and hes been absolutely stinking too.

I'm kind of inclined to think the same---right down the middle. You say right now he's not playing very good and yet in the just in thread from saturday some were saying he had a good game. I think its a case of if you dont rate a particular player you are more inclined to have a go at him, but if you think player A is decent the criticism tends to be more lenient

Are you taking the Michael? Sid is God. He turns grass into goals. The problem is that after the Rugby guys get onto our pitch there's no grass left so he can't do his magic trick.

FACT.