Simon Donnelly

Santana

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So thats why i want my £260 a year going towards something that has longevity and not short sightedness. Simon Donnelly does not represent value for money regardless of how much

So that would bid the man with the best close control in our team teaching our youngsters then. Seems like it might be paying dividends in the future if Macbeth is anything to go on.

Pardon me but having coached for the last 10 years I would hope to God players such as McBeth would have their finer skills of Ball control pretty much sorted by this time and hopefully moving on to maybe just maybe more advanced skills because if they do not and are relying on Simon Donnelly teaching them at this stage of their career then that will be without doubt another batch of youngsters failing to break through. As I have said its about opinions and obviously many will differ

I think I can pretty much say with a degree of certainty that he is nowhere near the lowest paid player at the club and not far from those who are the highest. So as stated a decent wage

Evidence please?

I've heard pretty much the exact opposite, and that Donnelly, McNamara, Maxwell and Hinchcliffe are all on absolute buttons, and are agreeing to such terms because it gives them the chance to develop their coaching acumen.

That said, what I've heard is just 3rd-hand information from someone who could have completely been making it up. Unless you have access to the comprehensive rather than redacted PTFC Accounts, you have absolutely no credibility when asserting without evidence that Simon Donnelly is one of our best paid players.

Guest Argus

Evidence please?

I've heard pretty much the exact opposite, and that Donnelly, McNamara, Maxwell and Hinchcliffe are all on absolute buttons, and are agreeing to such terms because it gives them the chance to develop their coaching acumen.

That said, what I've heard is just 3rd-hand information from someone who could have completely been making it up. Unless you have access to the comprehensive rather than redacted PTFC Accounts, you have absolutely no credibility when asserting without evidence that Simon Donnelly is one of our best paid players.

Do you go out of your way to be as offensive as possible, just because you don't like that posters views?

The superior & condescending attitude of the Simon Donnelly Fan Club is becoming a bit irksome - if you don't recognise that he is a soccer visionary you clearly know nothing about football & don't really deserve to be a Thistle fan.

My therefore totally uninformed opinion based on the five games I saw last year - and every other performance I've seen in the previous three seasons - is that while he occasionally has some neat touches, overall, he's pretty ineffective. This may be because his level of skills is just not suited to the First Division. He is regularly outmuscled but I would expect a player of his pedigree to have the ability to find space, to outwit lumbering defenders, to make incisive passes and not to sclaff shots at goal. Maybe he does this in the games I'm not at.

He may have excellent abilities as a coach but the fact that he has failed to persuade/encourage/cajole his team-mates to stop launching high balls in his general direction is not an encouraging sign.

It may be that Donnelly is one of Thistle's better players...but to me that's a sure sign that we need better players.

Skillful players at this level will always get criticised especially ones with a history of playing at a higher level like he has. Harkins was another. I would rather have one or two in the team that didn't run about like headless chickens and tried to bring a bit of skill to the game.

If you had a player with the workrate of Rowson, the skill of Donnelly and the finishing ability of Buchanan then he wouldn't be playing playing for us.

Added to that, he is helping out with the youth players so I am more than happy to see him stay.