Partick Thistle V Rangers

billko

Not really related to this thread but I was thinking tonight that the decent rangers fans I know hardly mention them anymore. A lot of them now spend all their time talking about English football, a few of them now attend more jags games than rangers ones, and some of them just don't like talking football anymore.

They will never admit it, but deep down I think there is a sense of shame and the realisation is there that the club is gone. They've found other things to distract them.

I think this may also be the case with billko. His time spent on here, all the youth games he attends...he's found something to fill the void and I'm glad that PTFC have been able to help with this.

That's a very valid point Kni - Maryhill and surrounding areas provided a large number of Volunteers due to the fact the HLI were based up the road - in fact ( please note Bilko ) if you go down Garscube Road there is a small School on the RHS just past the Roon Toll - this was originally Lyon Street - it was named " The Bravest Street" in Britain as every Family who lived in it lost someone during the First World War. A memorial to the Men of Lyon Street is in the School Entrance..

turns out that the men of Lyon Street to a man were decorated, staking their claim as the most decorated street in Britain.

"The Men of Lyon Street"

There’s a little street in Glasgow

At the top of Garscube Road,

That has bred some noble soldiers

Worthy of a King's abode.

The street is not a long one,

Just about six hundred feet,

But it's turned out a man per foot

The Men of Lyon Street.

Some of them were in the Seaforths,

In the Sweeps or H.L.I.

The Argylls and the gallant Gordons:

In a foreign grave they lie.

Some are in the Forty Second,

Or the Borderers, so neat,

Cameronians, Fusiliers, all fighters,

The Men of Lyon Street.

Some are serving in the Navy,

Royal Scots, and R.F.A.

Some are in the Royal Irish

Pushing Fritz out of the way.

One a least has gained the honour

Of commissioned rank complete,

As they won a score of medals, have

The Men of Lyon Street.

They have surely made a record,

Even in this record war,

And we ought to sound their praises

Over all the world afar.

They have nobly done their duty

Those men who can't be beat,

Who are worthy of all honour,

The Men of Lyon Street.

St Joseph's primary.

mention of the remnants of Lyon Street that are in the playground of St Josephs Primary.

The remnants as it turns out is really just a pile of stones that are in the playground of St Josephs School which was fenced off c2006

(many split skulls on the rocks made sure future generations knew why they were there)

Edited by banderas
  • Like 2

It's just not something i expected to see especially at Firhill.

. I thought for many years up till the 60's it was their fallback place for hire, if the preferred option was already booked at the end of their particular marching day.

This is from Glasgow place names based on a history from 1898 giving the historical naming and reason for street names. Was someone a seventh son of a seventh son that wrote this? Ibrox is both British and Gaelic, and is said by a local historian to mean the haunt of the badger (brock, Gaelic bruic, a badger). Another savant thinks that the name may have come from a rentaller, Broc - this name, and Brokas, both occurring in the rental book of the Diocesan Registers. In a charter dated 1580 the name is written Ibrokes.

Edited by banderas

I think this may also be the case with billko. His time spent on here, all the youth games he attends...he's found something to fill the void and I'm glad that PTFC have been able to help with this.

Not really accurate Ian as i still have a season ticket at Ibrox although Thistle take up more of my time with me out 5 times per week.

I rather suspect that when his son disappears from the Thistle youth scene then he'll disappear from here as fast as snow off a dyke.

Here's hoping.

Edited by Jaggernaut

I rather suspect that when his son disappears from the Thistle youth scene then he'll disappear from here as fast as snow off a dyke.

Here's hoping.

There's winding people up and then there's being a bit of a tube. I'd say you were definitely on the side of tube with those remarks.

• Like 3

I don't know what you mean with this as i know fine well Thistle will have fans of all religions.

I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

Simcer apologies if I've traduced you, but it did look to me on first impression that it was another of these"I know who Thistle fans really support..." threads that appear with monotonous regularity.

Billko,

I can only imagine at the burden of shame that you carry, having firmly attached yourself to the ugliest institution ever to have disgraced Scottish football. An institution doused in sectarianism, which has failed to change for several generations. An institution where the violent partisans, fuelled by religion and drink, have disgraced themselves decade after decade without fail. An institution so violent that it has resulted in deaths, and victims scarred for life. An institution which, if there was any justice, would have been banned from the Scottish game a long time ago.

It’s understandable that you should wish to unburden your shame by attempting to share the load via other institutions, namely Glasgow’s oldest professional football club.

However, your sly inference that Partick Thistle FC shared the same core values is somewhat wide of the mark. Whilst it’s true to say that our club directors were not anti-orange, they certainly weren’t anti-catholic either.

Prior to the fund raising match that you refer to, it may interest you to know that Thistle played more fund raising / benefit matches against Celtic than they did against Rangers.

No doubt, it will further be an “eye opener” to you to discover that, earlier in the same season, we played against Celtic in a fund raising match for the Roman Catholic schools of Partick.

To aid you with your thrilling new quest to discover Thistle history I refer you to the link below at the Partick Thistle history archive.

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/Partick+R.C.+School%27s+Fund+Raiser+1914

• Like 8

Billko,

I can only imagine at the burden of shame that you carry, having firmly attached yourself to the ugliest institution ever to have disgraced Scottish football. An institution doused in sectarianism, which has failed to change for several generations. An institution where the violent partisans, fuelled by religion and drink, have disgraced themselves decade after decade without fail. An institution so violent that it has resulted in deaths, and victims scarred for life. An institution which, if there was any justice, would have been banned from the Scottish game a long time ago.

It’s understandable that you should wish to unburden your shame by attempting to share the load via other institutions, namely Glasgow’s oldest professional football club.

However, your sly inference that Partick Thistle FC shared the same core values is somewhat wide of the mark. Whilst it’s true to say that our club directors were not anti-orange, they certainly weren’t anti-catholic either.

Prior to the fund raising match that you refer to, it may interest you to know that Thistle played more fund raising / benefit matches against Celtic than they did against Rangers.

No doubt, it will further be an “eye opener” to you to discover that, earlier in the same season, we played against Celtic in a fund raising match for the Roman Catholic schools of Partick.

To aid you with your thrilling new quest to discover Thistle history I refer you to the link below at the Partick Thistle history archive.

http://partickthistl...und+Raiser+1914

Bilko's gas peeped!

The challenge now is to find historical note of Thistle playing celitic in a fundraiser for the Scottish Unionist Party or against rangers in a match with proceeds going to support the republican movement.

Now either of those would be a real eye opener!

:fan:

Billko,

A good argument trumps abuse every time in my book. Well done.

Billko,

Superb post.

I'm still hoping that Billko will share with us precisely what he had his eyes opened to.

Superb post.

I'm still hoping that Billko will share with us precisely what he had his eyes opened to.

You still not got the answer you want Tom?

I thought i answered this

Give me a wee clue and i will try to give you those words you want to hear to stop your interrogation. :)

Ideal scenario

Hopefully my son comes through the youth system and you get to keep me for a longtime :D

Ideal scenario, your boy's "MacMessi", spends a couple of seasons in our first team, cementing our place in the top flight, we sell him to Real Madrid for 50million quid plus add-ons, and he returns on a free towards the end of his glittering career to the the club he loves (THISTLE!!!) to captain our championship winning side in thier champions league campaign.

You still not got the answer you want Tom?

I thought i answered this

Give me a wee clue and i will try to give you those words you want to hear to stop your interrogation. :)

It’s really quite simple. I can understand a level of curiosity about the fixture; it being a reflection of a different time, a different age.

I can’t understand what revelation discovering the fixture has provided you with though. What were your eyes closed to before you discovered it? What have you learned about Partick Thistle as a result of it?

Or is it simply a case that the fixture isn’t remotely “an eye opener” at all, merely a curiosity from Thistle’s history? And if so why would those that “are whiter than white” be bothered by it?

Seems alot of clubs were doing good charity deeds in those days

http://www.theranger...lic-schoolhouse

"Rangers played Hibernian to raise funds to build a catholic school in Leith. Persuaded by a Father Callan, Rangers duly obliged and on 5th May, 1903 Easter Road was the venue where a 2-2 draw was played out. Torrential rain kept the attendance to 500, the lowest recorded for a Rangers v Hibs match at Easter Road."

Thoughts Bilko? :lol:

• Like 1

Ideal scenario

Ideal scenario, your boy's "MacMessi", spends a couple of seasons in our first team, cementing our place in the top flight, we sell him to Real Madrid for 50million quid plus add-ons, and he returns on a free towards the end of his glittering career to the the club he loves (THISTLE!!!) to captain our championship winning side in thier champions league campaign.

Dad on the sidelines going "aye, I'm proud of you son. Just wish the Rangers were still around, I'd have loved to see you play for them".

Best of luck to him. he's with the good guys.

:thumbsup2:

Here's hoping.

Nowhere in my post is that implied.

ETA: I'd say it's sadder that you can't actually understand what is written, but we'll leave it at that.

So your last 2 words in your 1st post don't suggest you HOPE after his son disappears from the thistle youth, that he disappears from here?

I think I can read and understand exactly what you are saying. Wanting a child to fail so his father disappears....sad individual!!!

Seems alot of clubs were doing good charity deeds in those days

http://www.theranger...lic-schoolhouse

Like I said, different times. Nowadays we're the good guys and you're the bad guys. And as long as you hang about on this forum (which I hope you continue to do) that will always be the way.

By the way, congratulations on the interest you've generated. There's nothing we like to talk about more than how much we disliked Rangers.

Edited by allyo