Jags Vs Aberdeen - Sat 22Nd Feb 2014

Paulo

At the end of the Sportscene "highlights" they rolled out the match stats. I may have picked it up wrong and don't know where you get confirmation.

Anyway I'm fairly sure the stats showed us to have marginally less possession than Aberdeen (48%/52%?). While I don't normally read too much into these sort of things I can't help thinking that we've changed things about a bit. I'd be surprised if when we've won our four games away from home this season we didn't have the lion's share of possession.

While we certainly don't play hoof ball or have we become excessively direct it appears we might have evolved a Plan B.

Thistle 47% and Aberdeen 53% possession although the stat that counts is the scoreline.

Taylor comimg in has resulted maybe in a more direct approach although i feel a bit for Doolan and a shame he can't be fitted in somewhere.

I still think you would get more out of Taylor with someone playing off him but that's up to the manager to pick the formation and players to get the results that are needed.

The lack of a home win and the position the team finds themselves in will always play on the minds of the players who will find it hard not to ditch the pretty football a bit and play a more direct game that is not so pleasing on the eye.

Nobody wants to be the one making the mistake so the football can get a bit untidy at times but this is normal.

Hopefully now the first home win has been recorded i would like to think some pressure is off them and they can get the ball down again and play the style of football that suits them best.

Having a plan B is worthwhile to have and if you can strike a good balance between the two styles then Thistle will get better results in the run in.

Edited by billko

Still delighted with Saturdays win, very well deserved. But I think it is important to keep our feet on the ground, at least until after the Ross County game. The laws of probability probably dictated we were due a win at some point, and it's not the first time this forum has been delighted with a victory before being brought back down to earth the following Saturday.

Taking nothing away from what was probably our best second half performance of the season, and I have a good feeling that this can perhaps be the turning point in our season, especially now we have assembled a pretty formidable looking squad. Our downfall this season is we have gone for the other team's throats immediately from the kick off, but on Saturday we were happy to sit back and bind our time. A far more mature performance, and now all attentions turn to Dingwall.