Post Match Reation

ayrshire jag

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCall has never build a team with any fight - managers in the past Dicky boy, Lambinho for example would of roasted the players at HT today to the point you would see a reaction on the park !!!

Was thinking about the bunnet today. Promotion with Forfar last year, top of the league in the second, top of the league when sacked at Ross County. Signed Mark Roberts, Simon Donnelly, Jonny Tuffey and Graham Dorrans plucked from Livvy reserves.

The solution therefore is simple. The Bunnet is a great manager, sack McCall and bring him back. Darren Campbell Brady as his player/assistant. Could replace Hodge easily enough. :rolleyes:

Some of the biggest protests were at the top of the stairs at the City end terracing as the players and management trooped off after a bad result to the dressing rooms at that end of the ground. The players have got it so easy these days!

I thought the players left the field of play at the tunnel beside the centre of the park in the days of Johnstone and Rooney?

well said..we also beat arbroath with 8 men in the cup :thumbsup2:

Nothing like glorifying history, eh?

We finished the game with 8 men against Arbroath. The first red card was after half an hour (David Kennedy), and if I recall correctly the score was 1-1 at half time.

Des McKeown walked after an hour with the score already 2-1, and Jamie McKenzie walked in the last minute.

That's a world away from winning the game with 8 men in my view.

Nothing like glorifying history, eh?

We finished the game with 8 men against Arbroath. The first red card was after half an hour (David Kennedy), and if I recall correctly the score was 1-1 at half time.

Des McKeown walked after an hour with the score already 2-1, and Jamie McKenzie walked in the last minute.

That's a world away from winning the game with 8 men in my view.

Was still a fantastic fighting performance from a team working as a unit against 12 players (aye the ref should have had an arbroath top on)to hang on to a lead on a froazen rutted pitch........... Fighting for the jersey working as a unit how i miss those days, came out that ground proud to be a jags fan that day

Was still a fantastic fighting performance from a team working as a unit against 12 players (aye the ref should have had an arbroath top on)to hang on to a lead on a froazen rutted pitch........... Fighting for the jersey working as a unit how i miss those days, came out that ground proud to be a jags fan that day

Get Bryce back that game was amazing! I was on the park throwing snowballs into the Thistle fans at full-time and then ran into the net and needed untangled by a steward. Ah the joys of youth.

Sorry, but that's where we differ big time. Paton virtually never beats a man or gets to the bye line. Boyle's maybe slightly better but it's quite a slow process getting him to a crossing position far up the field. Even if one could be like Twaddle that might be acceptable. If the sweeper/third centre back had pace to get forward it would also be OKish. Failing that what we'll end up with is three centre backs in their own half and two full backs not adept enough to get far enough up the flanks. Fine if we're winning but near to useless when we're chasing the game.

I've thought too about 3-5-2 and reached the same conclusion. I wonder if we should be thinking of 4-2-3-1? In an earlier game someone mentioned Buchanan being virtually a lone striker at times because Donnelly comes deep so often - so I don't think we'd be losing anything with one up top (he says in mockney punter voice).

My idea would be Rowson and Mcnamara as defensive midfielders playing a little deep then three attacking midfielders - e.g. Donnelly, Cairney, Flannigan. I think it could work with our personnel the only problem being we haven't used this system before so it might take getting used to and points dropped because of that.

I suppose, since we've used something like it before 4-1-3-2 might be better. If Donnelly was one of the front two then that would easily be 4-1-4-1 at times. There's always the problem that the one up front doesn't get supported as he should but if you play guys like Cairney and Erskine (Flannigan?) as part of your attacking midfield they at least have an instinct to go forward.

I've thought too about 3-5-2 and reached the same conclusion. I wonder if we should be thinking of 4-2-3-1? In an earlier game someone mentioned Buchanan being virtually a lone striker at times because Donnelly comes deep so often - so I don't think we'd be losing anything with one up top (he says in mockney punter voice).

My idea would be Rowson and Mcnamara as defensive midfielders playing a little deep then three attacking midfielders - e.g. Donnelly, Cairney, Flannigan. I think it could work with our personnel the only problem being we haven't used this system before so it might take getting used to and points dropped because of that.

I suppose, since we've used something like it before 4-1-3-2 might be better. If Donnelly was one of the front two then that would easily be 4-1-4-1 at times. There's always the problem that the one up front doesn't get supported as he should but if you play guys like Cairney and Erskine (Flannigan?) as part of your attacking midfield they at least have an instinct to go forward.

Thinking along those lines (4-1-3-2) too. Also there might be mileage in playing Doolan in such a system. Play him in either of the widish positions either cutting in from the right side or in a more natural left flank. He's got pace and a bit of strength about him. Perm any three from Donnelly, Erskine, MacBeth, Cairney, Flannigan & Doolan.

I wonder if we should be thinking of 4-2-3-1?

i'm certain that mccall has tried to play this system and its variants. i can't be sure though as the team never seem capable either of holding their shape or possession long enough to say for definite. for one thing, most players at this level in the scottish game don't have the technical abilities to play this system successfully. but the biggest issue for me from last season was that mccall didn't settle on a system early on and stick to it.

"Look we've tried 4-4-2 and it isn't working; we'll go 4-3-3; okay 5-3-2 lads; a'right then 4-2-1-2-1, well how about 5-2-3 ..." Mike Basset England Manager.

Personally I think 4-6-3 4-5-5-5 is the only realistic solution: it's Station Cabs ... taxi for McCall!

Edited by Semi Nurainen