Willjag

• Members

A couple of things I never noticed yesterday from the highlights now on the official site.

1st, I didn't realise that Erskine took the pass from SOD before feeding Higgy in the lead up to the first goal yesterday. Makes a great goal even more impressive in my view. It must be in with a shout of goal of the month for March, fantastic move, fantastic finish!

2nd. I was a bit cirtical of SOD for the Hibs goal, however watching it again, he was left very exposed, 3 Hibs players round him with no real help from his team mates. Apologies Steven!

Edited to add, back to the 1st. I see a lot of folk mentioning SOD's reaction after the first goal. He'd just sprinted from one end of the park to the other and was even further forward than Chris Erskine after passing the ball to him to start the move, also takes two opponents with him at the back post leaving the space to give Chris all the time in the world to pick his spot!

• Like 4

Will's spot on. SOD was left isolated. Wouldn't know if that's a side effect from having such an attacking line up or not. McMillan got criticised I thought rather unfairly for adopting an "inside" position, backing off and not going out to meet the attack. We've been exposed there most notably against Dundee Utd and Motherwell. For too long in the last game against Motherwell the right back area was badly exposed. I'd have to see it again but also I seem to recall Stevie May's goal came from that area as well.

Playing both Higgy and Erskine, not to mention Doolan, then it's probably unavoidable that we have certain defensive weaknesses elsewhere. Strange tho' that it's more common down our right side.

• Members

It's been mentioned elsewhere in the forum about Higgy having a little argument with someone in the JHS during the 1st half on Saturday. The guy concerned has said on Facebook he was berating Higgy for not tracking back to help out defensively. But that was during the first half. No idea who was supposed to be supporting SOD in the 2nd half. Higgy does switch wings often during the game so I guess this is why sometimes SOD finds himself isolated.

When Bannigan plays he tends to the left hand side anyway so I think that's why it's not so much of a problem down our left. Bauben seems to be the most central midfielder, noticed him dropping back to cover a few times on Saturday when any of our defenders moved forward with the ball and so consequently I think it's probably an area that Gary Fraser should be helping out in. However, it looks to me that Gary also prefers playing that central midfield role and so the onus is dropping back to the attacking mids to cover. I don't think that's working well and we probably need a midfielder operating the same way as Bannigan does on the left hand side.

When we start with the front four that we did on Saturday, I don't think we have specific, rigid positions for them. For instance, I'm sure in the first half on Saturday at one point higgy was going for a run down the right wing and the player overlapping him was erskine, who you'd expect to be on the opposite wing. Some of the movement from them on Saturday was a joy to watch, not to mention it must be a nightmare for the opposition. Do they go with their man or do they pass him on? It will however leave us undoubtably exposed at the back when we lose the ball high up the park, more noticeably in the full back areas when the players who would usually track back might be in the opposite corner of the pitch. It's something I think we can cope with though, especially at firhill when we will dominate most teams possession wise. It will probably just mean our full backs will have to be slightly more conservative, which is a shame as that was a huge influence on the way we played last season.

I still think SOD should do better at the goal, he was exposed at first but when the boy takes him on down the line I think he has to do more to stop him getting past or getting a cross in.

Having four such attacking players is bound to put pressure on the rest of the team. As Archie said, it worked because they all worked so hard, but I have to say that I have my doubts about starting with all four on a regular basis, much as I like every one of them.

By the way, three games now this year where we've gone 2 up at Firhill, and in all three we've been pegged back immediately. What's going on there?

We have had a problem all season with losing goals just after we have scored, I think

First thing I said when Mair scored was lets hope we can hold this for at least 15 minutes. We inexplicably seem to turn off after scoring a second goal.

Edited by Lindau