Training Facilities

I see in today's papers that Killie are looking to put in a plastic pitch which would allow them to train locally instead of at the Science Park. Hopefully that happens and we can get a deal in place with the Science Park for the first team to use that and the youth development could use Lochinch.

I see in today's papers that Killie are looking to put in a plastic pitch which would allow them to train locally instead of at the Science Park. Hopefully that happens and we can get a deal in place with the Science Park for the first team to use that and the youth development could use Lochinch.

Last i heard glasgow uni were wanting killie out for ages but couldn,t because of a contract agreement dont know if they would be that keen on us movin in.

It was only a rumour mind but I had heard of them knocking down the firhill training complex and rebuilding it and making it far bigger with improved training facilities and was wondering if that perhaps for us and our youth set ups benefit. But like I say was just a rumour

They looked at doing something with the complex and trying to get something done as you have said but it wasn't suitable for what they had planned for it.

Lochinch is a top facility but is used by others (rugby) so don't know how it would work out longterm, but if we could get something sorted out longterm and it suits Thistle then it would be a fantastic place for the youth academy to have such a facility as a base.

Always thought the science park would make for a great place for Thistle to get but who knows if it's a goer or not.

For Thistle Weir to move up to "Elite Tier" they need to have lots of different criteria in place, and i know the club are working very hard to achieve this.

Lots of new obstacle's keep needing to be overcome to get into this Elite group but the club are desperate to get there.

Edited by billko

They looked at doing something with the complex and trying to get something done as you have said but it wasn't suitable for what they had planned for it.

Lochinch is a top facility but is used by others (rugby) so don't know how it would work out longterm, but if we could get something sorted out longterm and it suits Thistle then it would be a fantastic place for the youth academy to have such a facility as a base.

Always thought the science park would make for a great place for Thistle to get but who knows if it's a goer or not.

For Thistle Weir to move up to "Elite Tier" they need to have lots of different criteria in place, and i know the club are working very hard to achieve this.

Lots of new obstacle's keep needing to be overcome to get into this Elite group but the club are desperate to get there.

are you definetly sure there is nothing happening with the firhill training complex bilko? Just with it being so close to firhill would have made an ideal place for the first team and the youth academy to train Edited by Third Lanark

are you definetly sure there is nothing happening with the firhill training complex bilko? Just with it being so close to firhill would have made an ideal place for the first team and the youth academy to train

There was talk about it last year and i think they wanted two pitches side by side but apparently it wasn't feasible.

I mentioned in a thread a while back if the synthetic pitches keep improving then a surface at Firhill would allow alot more training to be done on it.

At the moment at Lochinch you could have the first team on one half of the pitch and the 20's using the other half which isn't ideal.

Being based at Firhill would be much better as would getting full use of the Firhill Complex would be ideal if it were to happen but don't know if that's on Thistle's radar.

Lochinch for the youth teams is great though and anything confirmed for the longterm use of it would be great news.

Edited by billko

Even tho' the Thistle Weir initiative is ringfenced that certainly doesn't mean that the youngsters and the senior squad should be kept apart to do their own thing. Obviously both have to do what's best for themselves and that could include separate training facilities as is the status quo. Ideally tho' we find facilities highly suitable to both the squad and the youth teams and the closer those facilities are to Firhill probably the better.

I joked about Murray Pk before but if sevco both have to downsize and increase their revenue streams perhaps there's a possibility of sharing? A long shot admittedly. :)

Is it really that important that any training facility is close to Firhill? Is it of any more benefit really?

Not as if Lennoxtown is remotely close to parkhead and murray park isn't next to ibrox or anything?

Similarly, twechar is a fair old distance from Firhill.

Wondered how long it would be before Twechar was brought up.

Did anyone at the time really take the idea seriously? The club's finances were an absolute disaster back then, with the chairman admitting that we were budgeting for a loss every year.

The idea of Twechar was pure fantasy - the very thought that we could afford to build a state of the art training facility from scratch was, to put it mildly, grossly unrealistic.

Always thought the idea was put out there to answer the critics who labelled that particular BOD as unambitious.

Edited by ian_mac

Is it really that important that any training facility is close to Firhill? Is it of any more benefit really?

Not as if Lennoxtown is remotely close to parkhead and murray park isn't next to ibrox or anything?

Similarly, twechar is a fair old distance from Firhill.

Not that important, bt. I was thinking mainly from a travel cost point of view especially if Thistle/Weir is involved. Quality and actual cost of facilities are obviously more important..

Wondered how long it would be before Twechar was brought up.

Did anyone at the time really take the idea seriously? The club's finances were an absolute disaster back then, with the chairman admitting that we were budgeting for a loss every year.

The idea of Twechar was pure fantasy - the very thought that we could afford to build a state of the art training facility from scratch was, to put it mildly, grossly unrealistic.

Always thought the idea was put out there to answer the critics who labelled that particular BOD as unambitious.

Was really a question about the location, more than anything else.

Now that we have confirmed our status in the spfl, expect an exciting announcement soon about our training facilities and a new partnership.

I know they were looking into something a while back and it would mean a "partnership" if it was to come off but something has come up recently which might be a better option and again would involve a "partnership"

It's got to be one of these and can't wait to hear the announcement.

Still wondering if it means first team and youth teams share the same facility or the youths will stay at Lochinch.

Lochinch is fantastic, it has a bar you know.. :D

What exactly does a football club require for training facilities? I guess, obviously, that the answer depends on how much money the club has. But what would be standard - one full size pitch? Two? Indoors? Gymnasiums? Would some sort of deal with Maryhill Juniors to use Lochburn Park be something to consider?

What exactly does a football club require for training facilities? I guess, obviously, that the answer depends on how much money the club has. But what would be standard - one full size pitch? Two? Indoors? Gymnasiums? Would some sort of deal with Maryhill Juniors to use Lochburn Park be something to consider?

They've got all that at Lochburn?