Ian Mccall

AlbaJag

Where has this stupid phrase come from? Happy clappers indicates fans who don't follow the 'lets bash the team and management at every opportunity' mentality are just blindly supporting the team without realising the problems, is that what it means?

I wonder if you can be a clapper but not happy? :thinking: I might put myself up for that gig.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where has this stupid phrase come from? Happy clappers indicates fans who don't follow the 'lets bash the team and management at every opportunity' mentality are just blindly supporting the team without realising the problems, is that what it means?

Why didn't you challenge the stupidity of the term 'numpties' firstly? Or is it ok to use that term to describe other fans who are not content with watching this p1sh week in week out and are - as you say - 'just blindly supporting the team without realising the problems'?

Why didn't you challenge the stupidity of the term 'numpties' firstly? Or is it ok to use that term to describe other fans who are not content with watching this p1sh week in week out and are - as you say - 'just blindly supporting the team without realising the problems'?

Am I challenging anything? I know what 'numpties' means but not clear on the term happy clappers, I imagine a bunch of stoned hippies prancing round a field clapping and shaking their tambourines while the world around them is a crumbling mess tho.

C'm'ere.... there's more! ....Did I mention the one about John Henry's departure to Burnley, or Gerry pulling up his breif's and taking up a legal career.....

And still, none of you NUMPTIES has given a REALISTIC alternative.

I hate repeating myself for the hard of understanding but, I WAS THERE ON SATURDAY AND IT WAS SHITE!!!! And in my humble opinion that was in no small part the responsibility of the gaffer's decision's on the day. But It's only AUGUST and McCall does not have his troubles to seek. He needs all the help and support he can beg, borrow, steal or one might hope receive from the fans!

Least ahm no' a "Bunter" bashin' happy slapper. KOOM BY YA, YA Bas' ! :clapping:

Do you film Your posts and stick 'em on YouTube?

C'm'ere.... there's more! ....Did I mention the one about John Henry's departure to Burnley, or Gerry pulling up his breif's and taking up a legal career.....

And still, none of you NUMPTIES has given a REALISTIC alternative.

I hate repeating myself for the hard of understanding but, I WAS THERE ON SATURDAY AND IT WAS SHITE!!!! And in my humble opinion that was in no small part the responsibility of the gaffer's decision's on the day. But It's only AUGUST and McCall does not have his troubles to seek. He needs all the help and support he can beg, borrow, steal or one might hope receive from the fans!

Least ahm no' a "Bunter" bashin' happy slapper. KOOM BY YA, YA Bas' ! :clapping:

Do you film Your posts and stick 'em on YouTube?

Gus McPherson would be a reasonable alternative to McCall if we do not improve and are drawn into a relegation fight.

Gus McPherson would be a reasonable alternative to McCall if we do not improve and are drawn into a relegation fight.

What makes you think he would be different/better? I don't think he'd put up with the budget cuts and enforced player sales McCall has and I dont particularly think he's any better than what we have.

I don't think he'd put up with the budget cuts and enforced player sales McCall has and I dont particularly think he's any better than what we have.

A choice between that and the dole? What makes you think that? MacPherson's won the First Division and the Challenge Cup, kept a team in the top flight for four consecutive years and led his side to the final of the League Cup. What's McCall done in comparison?

Edited by The Incredible Adam Spark

A choice between that and the dole? What makes you think that? McPherson's won the First Division and the Challenge Cup, kept a team in the top flight for four consecutive years and led his side to the final of the League Cup. What's McCall done in comparison?

Exactly. :thumbsup2:

It used to be the case that people would ask "what's the alternative?" The popular answer was Danny Lennon which was rebuffed with the line "well, what's he done in the game?"

Now there's an answer with a track record and people are still insisting he's no better.

Face facts, some people just don't want to listen to alternatives.

A choice between that and the dole? What makes you think that? McPherson's won the First Division and the Challenge Cup, kept a team in the top flight for four consecutive years and led his side to the final of the League Cup. What's McCall done in comparison?

He's done all that and is still on the dole, wonder why. McCalls record with clubs in the first (particularly those Clubs who are completely skinto) is generally good with every Club. McPherson has never had to work on a shoestring budget, and wouldn't do so imo. Do you think he would be the man for Thistle?

McPherson has never had to work on a shoestring budget

Aye, because Saints were positively bursting with cash before they sold Love Street, eh? Let's rubbish the myth McCall's been great for skint clubs in the First, unless you can name them.

And yes, I'd currently take MacPherson.

Aye, because Saints were positively bursting with cash before they sold Love Street, eh? Let's rubbish the myth McCall's been great for skint clubs in the First, unless you can name them.

And yes, I'd currently take McPherson.

Was he not the man in charge of a goin bust Airdrie Utd Airdrieonains when they ran us a close 2nd in 2001/02? Was he not the guy who practically took Falkirk up before leaving to join Dundee Utd? Did he not have Clydebank playing ok (under horrid circumstances) as they were going bust? What about making Queen of the South a good 1st div team?

Did I say St Mirren was bursting with cash before selling Love Street? There is a difference between bursting with cash and working on a broken shoestring!

Edited by Steven H

Was he not the man in charge of a goin bust Airdrie Utd when they ran us a close 2nd in 2001/02? Was he not the guy who practically took Falkirk up before leaving to join Dundee Utd? Did he not have Clydebank playing ok (under horrid circumstances) as they were going bust? What about making Queen of the South a good 1st div team?

Did I say St Mirren was bursting with cash before selling Love Street? There is a difference between bursting with cash and working on a broken shoestring!

The Airdrie who could still (allegedly) offer Coyle better terms than us? The Falkirk who made building a team a priority before building a stadium, the Queen of the South at whom Davie Rae flung his cash?

I can't really remember his time at Clydebank, so you'll have to fill me in on how results panned out for him.

MacPherson may never have managed a club on a "broken" shoestring budget, but he's never managed a flush one, either. So what makes you so sure he wouldn't 'lower' himself to taking the helm at Thistle?

The Airdrie who could still (allegedly) offer Coyle better terms than us? The Falkirk who made building a team a priority before building a stadium, the Queen of the South at whom Davie Rae flung cash at?

I can't really remember his time at Clydebank, so you'll have to fill me in on how results panned out for him.

MacPherson may never have managed a club on a "broken" shoestring budget, but he's never managed a flush one, either. So what makes you so sure he wouldn't 'lower' himself to taking the helm at Thistle?

Im not sure of aything, was merely expressing my opinion. Wasnt part of the reason for him leaving/being sacked by St Mirren to do with budgets etc? Im sure that was mooted at the time. As for his Clydebank days, not great as it happens but better than expected given the state of them!

What makes anyone so sure that he'd want to come to Thistle, you know, considering his success ridden CV and all that? It was a realistic alternative that was being asked for so if he is that good why would he come to us?

Wasnt part of the reason for him leaving/being sacked by St Mirren to do with budgets etc?

What makes anyone so sure that he'd want to come to Thistle, you know, considering his success ridden CV and all that? It was a realistic alternative that was being asked for so if he is that good why would he come to us?

Perhaps, but he was linked with the Kilmarnock job.

Do you think anyone realistically expected Craig Levein to pitch up at Raith Rovers? MacPherson is a realistic alternative.

A choice between that and the dole? What makes you think that? MacPherson's won the First Division and the Challenge Cup, kept a team in the top flight for four consecutive years and led his side to the final of the League Cup. What's McCall done in comparison?

Not got the sack.

Agree tho' that McPherson has an impressive CV but as posted earlier he'd be given less of a budget and less of a wage than McCall. Whether he'd want to risk the quality of his CV on us is a moot point. If he's desperate for a job (any job) then OK but I would imagine he's biding his time for something a bit more lucrative.

I don't know the ins and outs of the buddies finances. But I reckon that for a long time they have been willing to lavish their manager with more cash than is currently available at Firhill. They have been moving from love street for about 20 years and surviving on the promise of Tesco cash for most of that time. Personally I want to stay at Firhill. Regardless of alterations. Whatever they might be.

But Fair play to "Kni" for at least throwing a name up for discussion. Macpherson has a reasonable record at a club with similar potential to ours. McCall though, has form for producing something from nothing at Clydebank. He won aidrie (spit) the diddy cup and did well in the league with free's and loan's after Steve Archibald made a right old mess of that club :sarcastic: . With both those clubs goin t*ts up... my main fear with Ian is that he's a fookin JINX!!! :shocked:

McCall off... MacPherson on ? :thinking: I dunno, it's not even half time. Bit early for making like for like subs in the hope a fresh pair of legs will liven things up.

You obviously know better than me on the first point.

McKeown actually played in our horrendous run of games towards the end of the season. I'm not sure he would've made that much difference, to be honest. Lovell was cronic whenever I saw him. McCall gave both of them deals while fully aware of their injury situation.

McKeown was given a 2 and a half year deal I believe when signed from Airdrie, as far as I am aware he was not injury prone at all, most of his problems seemed to have happened after his first year at Thistle. So dont think anyone can really have been aware at the time of injury problems with McKeown not even McKeown. Bit of a shame the way he ended up because unlike Lovell when fully fit I believe he gave his all.

Kni if we get a new Manager are you going to start going to games or are you going to do as you usually have done over the last couple of years and be the first to criticise without ever going to a game :thinking:

Or maybe Im wrong how many games have you been to this season?

I have been to a few games this year. However, serious illness and the resulting income/work pressures restrict my attendances. Perhaps you could cut the sarcastic comments which are based on ignorance and prejudice.