Ian Mccall

AlbaJag

When would the off field issues likely to be sorted as those in charge have been failing spectacularly with this for the last 7 years

That's partly the point I was trying to make.

I generally agree with that but my problem with McCall at the moment is that he not developed or changed as a manager at all ,in fact tactically I think he has went backwards.There has been very few occasions in the last season were I've seen a tactical or formation change or a substitution that has saved or won a game for us.

Budget cuts or not ,his recent signings have been poor.His initial signings, the likes of Harkins,Twaddle,Rowsen even Maxy perhaps also raised expectation and I think the loss of Harkins and Twaddle has been a much bigger blow to the team than we thought.

I think the next tactic he'll use is reverting to a sweeper system with a three/five at the back shape but without a natrual sweeper or any player able to cross a ball in from wide finishing above the play-offs will be a good season.

I tend to agree with the first part of your comment, though I think this season we do genuially have 'options' on how we want to set-up the team.

Agree with Robbo at RCB, Boyle at LCB and....Maxi! :help:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Saturday's defeat ... it is just one game." I'm glad I wasn't one of those who made the trip to the streets of Raith to see that 'one game'. Keep digging, Bunter, you have almost equalled the Bunnet's record of post-defeat gaffes.

Unfortunately the Bomsbcare IS available tonight, though Berwick Rovers have four key players out, so they should only manage to beat us by the odd goal or two.

"Saturday's defeat ... it is just one game." I'm glad I wasn't one of those who made the trip to the streets of Raith to see that 'one game'. Keep digging, Bunter, you have almost equalled the Bunnet's record of post-defeat gaffes.

Unfortunately the Bomsbcare IS available tonight, though Berwick Rovers have four key players out, so they should only manage to beat us by the odd goal or two.

He has to say something, and a line like that would possibly help his players get over the fact they've been humped rotten at the weekend. The players will be hurting after a defeat like that just as much as we are, and by calling it "just one game" it might be easier to try and get over it and not let it affect your next performance.

the problem at the club doesn't lie with Mccall, the problem is there is no money at the club, it is unfair to blame the board, if they push the boat out then we might no longer have a football club, what we NEED is to develop young talent and build thge team around players like Buchanan, Cairney, Rowson, Archibald, Flannigan e.t.c. So far, whilst Mccall has been here he has signed Harkins and Twaddle who we couldn't keep hold of because of the state that the club and most clubs in our league are in. If we can keep signing the odd gem like Buchanan, Cairney and Flannigan then we will be ok. Mccall has also made our youth system far better, when Campbell was here we had virtually no youth system, but now the under 19's won the cup last season and there are a lot of promising youngsters coming through, the young players are the future of Partick Thistle therefore Mccall has done a very good job getting them and we have alot of good youth coaches to develop these players.

the problem at the club doesn't lie with Mccall, the problem is there is no money at the club, it is unfair to blame the board, if they push the boat out then we might no longer have a football club, what we NEED is to develop young talent and build thge team around players like Buchanan, Cairney, Rowson, Archibald, Flannigan e.t.c. So far, whilst Mccall has been here he has signed Harkins and Twaddle who we couldn't keep hold of because of the state that the club and most clubs in our league are in. If we can keep signing the odd gem like Buchanan, Cairney and Flannigan then we will be ok. Mccall has also made our youth system far better, when Campbell was here we had virtually no youth system, but now the under 19's won the cup last season and there are a lot of promising youngsters coming through, the young players are the future of Partick Thistle therefore Mccall has done a very good job getting them and we have alot of good youth coaches to develop these players.

I dont think McCall had little to do with the under 19's. It was Ian Cameron. I went to about 8 under 19 games last season and only seen McCall at four of them and he left with around half an hour to go at all of them.

I dont think McCall had little to do with the under 19's. It was Ian Cameron. I went to about 8 under 19 games last season and only seen McCall at four of them and he left with around half an hour to go at all of them.

I think McCall was pretty instrumental in getting a youth system set up in the first place i.e. as some Managers would not be interested in having one and I guess theres been a few former Thistle ones who were not really interested in having one.

Most of the running of it will be done by Ian Cameron and Gerry, though I guess McCall would have been the ones who appointed these lads to run it.

McCall decided we were going to put some of the limited money we had into a better (not great but a lot better than we've had for a long while) youth policy. Unless you think it was all down to a board who've always in he past seen youth policy as expendable when money gets (extra) tight.

Of course Cameron deserves credit for his work with the youngsters but he wouldn't be here if McCall didn't want him to be, coaching the youngsters.

Also why would he need to watch every minute of every game? He hires guys to do the details and report to him. You - and none of us - knows how much he watches them in training.

As Ive said, McCall said that last nights result in no way makes up for Saturdays defeat, I respect him for that.

If we let go of McCall, who would want the job, he has won 41% of his matches since coming to Thistle, that's a great achievement in anyone's book. We are just going to have to persevere, I am sure with "financial backing" from "a" board, McCall could lead this club to the SPL, however with limited financial resources, and the board pulling the strings on who leaves the club (Twaddle, harkins etc, the board sold them, not mccall), he is between a rock and a hard place.

As Ive said, McCall said that last nights result in no way makes up for Saturdays defeat, I respect him for that.

If we let go of McCall, who would want the job, he has won 41% of his matches since coming to Thistle, that's a great achievement in anyone's book. We are just going to have to persevere, I am sure with "financial backing" from "a" board, McCall could lead this club to the SPL, however with limited financial resources, and the board pulling the strings on who leaves the club (Twaddle, harkins etc, the board sold them, not mccall), he is between a rock and a hard place.

Great post!

you sure on this, was it only the board who wanted to sell these players?

did Mr McCall have more of a say in this, than we are led to believe?

you sure on this, was it only the board who wanted to sell these players?

did Mr McCall have more of a say in this, than we are led to believe?

Although McCall ultimately agreed to it in the end I think that was reluctantly. Why would he be happy to sell 2 of his better players when he knew (or surely must have known) he would see heehaw of the money?

In the case of Twaddle I think he left the Club with no real choice, he wanted to go to Falkirk and when that happens it's better to get what you can for the player and let him go.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone seems to have gone quiet about Ian Mccall

Yes I noticed. I think the explanation is that his detractors have run out of patience, and his supporters have run out of excuses.

Someone asks the question why not live with it and back the man: I could think of half a dozen smart rhetorical answers, but the reality is that large numbers of fans increasingly will not pay seventeen quid to watch this p1sh.

Edited by Semi Nurainen

:wall: What are the realistic alternatives, you numpties?

In McCall's first season we finished 6th in the league and took the 'orrible 'un to a cup replay. In his second season, we finished 2nd place to St Johnstone ( who have made a fair go of it up there). Last season we were in amongst it for a bit, but our fall from grace was as much to do with Buchanan's loss of form as McCall's inability to shake things up. Liam only scored 3 goals in 16 apps from christmas to may, during which time we lost 9 games by a 1 goal margin. He'd scored 10 in the first half the season. Ok the defence was leaking, but you take the point? Turn those defeats into draws and we'd have been 4th instead of 6th in a very, very tough league. The manager has nurtured, then lost three of the best players in the division, Harkins, Twaddle and now Tuffey..... I could go on.

I was there on saturday. And it was shite. Lacklustre, poor or bewildering decisions from players and management. So, let me be quite clear, I'm still far from a 100% McCall beleiver. But he has my support because I know he can do much better.

This season we are more skint than ever ( "save the jags" asides )and Div 1 is still argueably the most competitive in the UK. Be careful what you wish for because I've heard McCall talking about the financial restraints more than once and I reckon he might walk before he's pushed.

No body can stop a puddle without a pot to piss in.

In McCall's first season we finished 6th in the league and took the 'orrible 'un to a cup replay. In his second season, we finished 2nd place to St Johnstone ( who have made a fair go of it up there). Last season we were in amongst it for a bit, but our fall from grace was as much to do with Buchanan's loss of form as McCall's inability to shake things up. Liam only scored 3 goals in 16 apps from christmas to may, during which time we lost 9 games by a 1 goal margin. He'd scored 10 in the first half the season. Ok the defence was leaking, but you take the point? Turn those defeats into draws and we'd have been 4th instead of 6th in a very, very tough league. The manager has nurtured, then lost three of the best players in the division, Harkins, Twaddle and now Tuffey..... I could go on.

I was there on saturday. And it was shite. Lacklustre, poor or bewildering decisions from players and management. So, let me be quite clear, I'm still far from a 100% McCall beleiver. But he has my support because I know he can do much better.

This season we are more skint than ever ( "save the jags" asides )and Div 1 is still argueably the most competitive in the UK. Be careful what you wish for because I've heard McCall talking about the financial restraints more than once and I reckon he might walk before he's pushed.

Think they would be plenty of managers who would take the job

Turn my Auntie’s f-d into a tallywhacker and a pair of nuts and she’s my uncle.

Point is we didn’t; in reality, fans will walk. We might be left with a few score happy clappers like yourself, but get this into your head – not many are going to pay to watch this sh1te. If McCall can do better why doesn’t he? This is one of the dimmest posts I have read in this thread. The Bunter party is running out of excuses.

I won't quote the figures bandied about at the time as in no way have they ever been established but I believe the following will be true...

1/Campbell & Bone collectively were on a considerably higher remuneration than McCall & Spiers/Britton or as today McCall & Maxwell.

2/Campbell's playing budget was significantly higher than McCall's has ever been.

Now if you can accept above then what happens if/when McCall leaves?

1/Will the next manager/assistant be on the same wages? I guess we know the answer to that.

2/Will the next manager have the same or increased player budget? Once again the answer to that I fear is fairly obvious.

So those who believe that getting rid of IMcC (or more correctly if McCall was to leave under his own volition) would create some sort of Jags renaissance might be stretching their imagination somewhat.

I'm not saying that there isn't another manager out there who would accept a lower wage and couldn't do as good a job as McCall. I'm not even saying that another manager couldn't do as well on even a tighter budget. The law of averages dictates that somewhere there'll be someone that could fit either of those potential requirements. What I am getting at is that finding experienced managers who would accept less remuneration for themselves and their assistant and accept a reduced playing budget will be very few and far between.

I've not even approached the probabilities of our existing Board being competent enough to select an appropriate manager regardless of his pay and his budget. Best not even contemplate that.

I really feel no matter what we're witnessing on the pitch when it comes to the present manager it's bite the bullet time.

One of the very few posts good posts on here. Last year I would add that injuries to steven mckeown and steve lovel were big parts in our loss of form.

Why would he be happy to sell 2 of his better players when he knew (or surely must have known) he would see heehaw of the money?

I'm not so sure he saw "hee-haw" of the cash.

Be careful what you wish for because I've heard McCall talking about the financial restraints more than once and I reckon he might walk before he's pushed.

It's not as if he has previous for that, eh?

One of the very few posts good posts on here. Last year I would add that injuries to steven mckeown and steve lovel were big parts in our loss of form.

McKeown was hardly off the treatment table in his time here while Lovell's injury history - wasn't it the case he only trained a few days per week with Falkirk? - so I wouldn't attribute our form to the time they spent on the sidelines.

Actually, talk of them again highlights the money McCall's squandered in his time, which is always conveniently ignored when talk of budgets arises or cloaked by the fees brought in for Harkins and Twaddle.

I'd actually contest McCall has to take his share of the blame, while recognising it's minimal, for the position we currently find ourselves in with regards to the playing budget.

It should also be remembered that he had some idea of the constraints he was facing when he agreed to take the job.

I do remember him saying around that time there were developments in the pipeline that hinted at a bright future for Thistle, so it could be the case he was hoodwinked to an extent. Does anyone know what he was referring to? PropCo, perhaps?

I'm not so sure he saw "hee-haw" of the cash.

It's not as if he has previous for that, eh?

McKeown was hardly off the treatment table in his time here while Lovell's injury history - wasn't it the case he only trained a few days per week with Falkirk? - so I wouldn't attribute our form to the time they spent on the sidelines.

Actually, talk of them again highlights the money McCall's squandered in his time, which is always conveniently ignored when talk of budgets arises or cloaked by the fees brought in for Harkins and Twaddle.

I'd actually contest McCall has to take his share of the blame, while recognising it's minimal, for the position we currently find ourselves in with regards to the playing budget.

It should also be remembered that he had some idea of the constraints he was facing when he agreed to take the job.

I do remember him saying around that time there were developments in the pipeline that hinted at a bright future for Thistle, so it could be the case he was hoodwinked to an extent. Does anyone know what he was referring to? PropCo, perhaps?

The Harkins and twaddle money went to pay a tax bill. He did see ‘hee-haw’ of the money.

Do you not think a fully fit Lovell and McKeown would have scored for us if they were fully fit last year?

McCall did make a lot of poor signing last year, no question about that. He should take blame for some of this. However fans have to realize that reducing your player budget and selling your best players does affect your team’s performance, surly this is common sense.

McCall has a very difficult time ahead of him, but I think he will have us middle table at the end of the season. Terrible to think that is the best thing you can hope for. Then next year it will get even worse with the player budget likely to be cut again.

The Harkins and twaddle money went to pay a tax bill. He did see ‘hee-haw’ of the money.

Do you not think a fully fit Lovell and McKeown would have scored for us if they were fully fit last year?

You obviously know better than me on the first point.

McKeown actually played in our horrendous run of games towards the end of the season. I'm not sure he would've made that much difference, to be honest. Lovell was cronic whenever I saw him. McCall gave both of them deals while fully aware of their injury situation.

Turn my Auntie’s f-d into a tallywhacker and a pair of nuts and she’s my uncle.

Point is we didn’t; in reality, fans will walk. We might be left with a few score happy clappers like yourself, but get this into your head – not many are going to pay to watch this sh1te. If McCall can do better why doesn’t he? This is one of the dimmest posts I have read in this thread. The Bunter party is running out of excuses.

Where has this stupid phrase come from? Happy clappers indicates fans who don't follow the 'lets bash the team and management at every opportunity' mentality are just blindly supporting the team without realising the problems, is that what it means?