Dundee United

ThickAsThieves

Then I'm surprised you're not completely sold on Kris. You of all people are surely aware of the contribution he's made to the club in his time here compared with those who've gone before.

I don't think Archie's lost faith in him, but it's prudent to have another striker of similar quality on the books to lighten the burden on him. I never saw Lyle Taylor as his replacement, nor do I expect Ecclestone to be. They were/are alternatives.

Absolutely not. I think if anything Doolan would prosper more with someone a little closer to him.

He runs his socks off, brings others into play, weighs in with goals but it seems to me he carries the burden of scoring goals as well as chasing lost causes.

I don't think he's a 'natural' finisher but there are few of them about & usually cost £millions.

Thinking back, there was an ET article last season around Feb/March maybe which had Taylor saying that the manager should play both him & Dools together.

So thinking on it, maybe you're correct & it's not Doolan's contribution that should be called into question. Then so is it the manager's tactics rather than any striker- Doolan, Taylor or Ecclestone?

After all, if a striker comes out publicly as Taylor did & ask for 'support' then maybe it's a thankless task Doolan is doing.

• Like 1

Absolutely not. I think if anything Doolan would prosper more with someone a little closer to him.

He runs his socks off, brings others into play, weighs in with goals but it seems to me he carries the burden of scoring goals as well as chasing lost causes.

I don't think he's a 'natural' finisher but there are few of them about & usually cost £millions.

Thinking back, there was an ET article last season around Feb/March maybe which had Taylor saying that the manager should play both him & Dools together.

So thinking on it, maybe you're correct & it's not Doolan's contribution that should be called into question. Then so is it the manager's tactics rather than any striker- Doolan, Taylor or Ecclestone?

After all, if a striker comes out publicly as Taylor did & ask for 'support' then maybe it's a thankless task Doolan is doing.

The system we play requires the 'attacking midfield trio' behind the forward to give him support whenever possible. But sometimes they don't. They have other tasks which either takes them too deep or tires them menaing they're slow to catch up with a quick move by the centre forward. But when it works as it should the likes of Higgs-boson, Elliot and Lawless do get shots in.

But when it works as it should the likes of Higgs-boson, Elliot and Lawless do get shots in.

It's noticeable without Higgy & Fraser there's less shooting from advanced midfield. The annoying thing is Stevenson, Craigen & Elliott between them have in the last three games had three cracking shots. Very unfortunate not to have scored at least once from them but the more aimed on target the better the chance of scoring. Those three have shown what they're capable of but just not enough. I'm leaving Lawless out of this as I doubt he can generate enough power but at least he's not shot shy.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett