Scotland V Roi And V England

Lambies Lost Doo

As things stand we'd qualify as the best third place team. Interesting to note that despite looking the toughest group on paper, Poland, Georgia and Gibraltar were all the lowest ranked teams in their pots whilst Ireland were the second lowest ranked team in their pot, so UEFA have it as the weakest group. Ranieri has Greece bottom of their group after losing 1-0 at home to the Faroes. Ten years ago Greece were champions of Europe and we were the team with horrid results against minnows. How things change.

Is our group not first 2 qualify 3rd goes into play-offs (not sure if it's straight through or whether it depends on other factors)?

Did anyone go to the Aitken Suite?

I was working early evening Friday and when a meeting finished not too far from Firhill, I realised that I had time to pop into the Aitken Suite for the last half hour of the game. The lack of cars outside was not promising. Inside was all quiet with the screens switched off. Two staff were closing up at the bar and told me that there had been some fault with the digibox making the picture jump, so all the people who had been there had gone away. It was like one of these disaster movies where everybody else has been killed and you are one of the last few people surviving on Planet Earth.

After a moment's regret, mourning the lost chance to see the game, it suddenly occurred to me that maybe the Aitken Suite was not the only pub in the world or even in the locality, so I hopped off to the Star & Garter and was amazed to be served right away (I have only ever been in just pre-match). I took a seat just in time for the goal, shook hands with numerous people I had never met before and eventually headed off into the night a happy man. Maryhill is wonderful!

Does that answer your question?

A lot of credit seems to be given to Stuart McCall for devising the training ground move producing Scotland's goal. He must have had a spy at Cappielow three seasons ago, as all the praise should go to the real inventors, Partick Thistle FC. Those of us squashed into the Fire Risk Away Fans Stand (or whatever it is called) will remember a close up view of a far superior version of the same short corner tactic. One extra embellishment was Craig Dargo (in one of his few telling interventions in a Thistle shirt) bending down to tie his shoelaces and then suddenly coming alive to receive the ball in the box in the Scott Brown position. As defenders rushed to close him down, he laid off the ball diagonally for the unerring finish. But this was no puny curving poke into the far corner of the net. This was a David Rowson piledriver uprooting the whole goal frame with its speed and animal ferocity. So, not a bad copy from Scotland, and it certainly did the business, but you really should have seen the original.

Good to know that without a player in the squad and with no members of the coaching staff, it is Partick Thistle who have paved the way for Scotland's qualification for Euro 2016.

• Like 3

The Best 3rd placed team from all the groups goes straight through, the remainder go into the play offs...... i think

Ah...thanks. I was sure 3rd place was not an automatic go-through place but good to know that it gets you at least a play off place. We must have a good chance of getting that and depending on other games could just maybe get 2nd place if we beat Poland at home.

A lot of credit seems to be given to Stuart McCall for devising the training ground move producing Scotland's goal. He must have had a spy at Cappielow three seasons ago, as all the praise should go to the real inventors, Partick Thistle FC. Those of us squashed into the Fire Risk Away Fans Stand (or whatever it is called) will remember a close up view of a far superior version of the same short corner tactic. One extra embellishment was Craig Dargo (in one of his few telling interventions in a Thistle shirt) bending down to tie his shoelaces and then suddenly coming alive to receive the ball in the box in the Scott Brown position. As defenders rushed to close him down, he laid off the ball diagonally for the unerring finish. But this was no puny curving poke into the far corner of the net. This was a David Rowson piledriver uprooting the whole goal frame with its speed and animal ferocity. So, not a bad copy from Scotland, and it certainly did the business, but you really should have seen the original.

Good to know that without a player in the squad and with no members of the coaching staff, it is Partick Thistle who have paved the way for Scotland's qualification for Euro 2016.

Good stuff. I heard your tale on off the ball too :D

Interesting how people always moan about short corners but sometimes they are useful if you aren't having any joy pumping the ball into the box to physically smaller players!

Was pleased for Strachan . That was a huge result for him personally , Two former Celtic Managers head to head at Parkhead. Strachan got a a lot of the" he's not Celtic minded p1sh " from the great unwashed when he was there compared to the blessed Martin who did his usual at clubs he's managed and played his one dimensional football and left having spent millions on dross.

O'neil is a vastly over-rated manager.

• Like 1

2mins in, don't get to see the actual corner being taken but it does, honest.

I was working early evening Friday and when a meeting finished not too far from Firhill, I realised that I had time to pop into the Aitken Suite for the last half hour of the game. The lack of cars outside was not promising. Inside was all quiet with the screens switched off. Two staff were closing up at the bar and told me that there had been some fault with the digibox making the picture jump, so all the people who had been there had gone away. It was like one of these disaster movies where everybody else has been killed and you are one of the last few people surviving on Planet Earth.

After a moment's regret, mourning the lost chance to see the game, it suddenly occurred to me that maybe the Aitken Suite was not the only pub in the world or even in the locality, so I hopped off to the Star & Garter and was amazed to be served right away (I have only ever been in just pre-match). I took a seat just in time for the goal, shook hands with numerous people I had never met before and eventually headed off into the night a happy man. Maryhill is wonderful!

Does that answer your question?

So I take it no one's going to the Aitken Suite tomorrow then?