Just In

clarencegarter

Very, very pleased with the work rate, desire and commitment today from the players. I havn't left Firhill feeling as proud of a team performance in a long time. A performance that reminded me of the old days. Thats all I ask for when I go to Firhill, 100% from the players.

This is it exactly for me also. Too often you go and see toothless stuff where the commitment levels are way below par from the players AND the fans. Yesterday the fans were superb and the players more than matched it. We ALL wanted that result and the atmosphere, commitment and celebration was like something from the good old days.

I hope the players realised how good they can be by chasing down everything and giving the 100% that they all gave yesterday. I hope the fans who may have only went yesterday because it was the first home game realise this too and I hope we ALL can perform like that at home in every game this season as you never know, we may well be up there challenging come the end of the season if we do.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I don't think Dundee's new look defence ever looked settled, the Jags were awesome yesterday. Hats off to Paddy Boyle and Iain Flannigan - both were absolutely superb to watch. Boyle's aggressive, confident and purposeful pass and move play was indeed a pleasant surprise and Flannigan played the Steven Gerrard-esque marauding midfielder perfectly as he pulled their team all over the park all day.

That's the best we've played in the league in years. :D

good solid performance, no passengers, Liam wasnt at his best but he worked like f8ck.

Boyle had a good game, as did Maxi, I dont recall maxi playing in any pre season game, so with today being his first game, excellent.

I also witnessed 3 times today Paton playing the ball with the wand that is his left foot.

I don't recall Maxwell playing in a pre-season game. It is only natural, especially at his age, that he would be a bit rusty. Some have commented that he started slowly in the first half. Any player would have done so without match practice so he deserves a lot of credit for such a solid display. Balatoni deserves a lot of credit for slotting into a new side so easily and quickly. There is no need to rush Archie or McNamara back if the defence can maintain such good form.

• Members

Not a failure and really difficult to single anyone out imo. Boyle is like a new player, Flannigan looks like an excellent piece of business (thanks to the Board member(s) that put their hand in their pocket to finance this signing), Balatoni, doesn't look the tallest of players but his bravery means he wins most challenges he goes for in the air, also helpful that he has a good spring, his first touch is just about perfect as well. He'll be an SPL regular soon enough. Maxwell coming in to nullify any aerial threat from Adams was a master stroke.

It'll be a tough job to get the team clicking like that again this season. Glad I was there to see it yesterday!

Also looked like a fantastic attendance yesterday particularly in the JHS and considering how the season has started, I was really surprised. Well done everyone connected with the Club yesterday. More of the same please.

I don't recall Maxwell playing in a pre-season game. It is only natural, especially at his age, that he would be a bit rusty. Some have commented that he started slowly in the first half. Any player would have done so without match practice so he deserves a lot of credit for such a solid display.

I seem to remember him playing the first 45 mins at St Andrews but that's splitting hairs. Your points are most valid.

Also looked like a fantastic attendance yesterday particularly in the JHS and considering how the season has started, I was really surprised. Well done everyone connected with the Club yesterday. More of the same please.

What was the crowd?

No hospitality yesterday. Is that normal for the first game of the season?

I wouldn't have thought so and the Dundee game is usually a good earner for hospitality. Worrying.

I would reckon that 600 of those were Dundee.

That remains a worry as it would mean there were only just over 2000 jags fans.

It is always hard to judge the crowd when you are actually there, I arrived quite late, about 2.55pm and there was still loads of bodies milling about outside. A lot waiting in line for tickets etc and I thought the crowd might be quite healthy. When I got inside I thought it was quite busy aswell. I did think there was upwards of 3,000, considering Dundee brought a half decent support.

Maybe its the old tax-dodging trick!!

Nah. I got to my seat at 5 past 3. Walking up the slope I thought "Not a great turnout for the first home game of the season...especially against Dundee".

2800 sounds about right.

Just a thought but perhaps a few still on their hols ? I would have been there with wife and 2 kids but for hols.

Very worried , however, that no hospitality. The OS were advertising it for the last few weeks so that is a concern if the did not have a good response and subsequently cancelled it.

Could this have been a catering issue as their was no food in the Aitken suite either? Bar staff said that the caterer did not want to do it this season.

Are there any plans to have catering in the Aitken suite? This is one of the reasons I go with my brother in law earlier, is to eat and have a few drinks before the game. If there is no intention of supplying food then I will be unlikely to turn up until 2:30. There was at least a bus load of Dundee fans in the club, who on discovering their was no food went to Jaconelli's. A missed oportunity for revenue generation?

Great display, best I've seen in a long time. The only bone I have to pick is that we gave a lot of stupid free kicks away in decent areas, they were usually a result of a clumsy tackle rather than a malicious tackle.

Other than that it was almost faultless!

Well done jags

Could this have been a catering issue as their was no food in the Aitken suite either? Bar staff said that the caterer did not want to do it this season.

Are there any plans to have catering in the Aitken suite? This is one of the reasons I go with my brother in law earlier, is to eat and have a few drinks before the game. If there is no intention of supplying food then I will be unlikely to turn up until 2:30. There was at least a bus load of Dundee fans in the club, who on discovering their was no food went to Jaconelli's. A missed oportunity for revenue generation?

If my memory serves me right, there's no drink served after this time either and the polis show their faces to 'encourage' people to leave soon after. Doesn't make sense to me. Not to mention the vastly over-priced 'lager'.

No wonder fans go to the local pubs before the match.

If my memory serves me right, there's no drink served after this time either and the polis show their faces to 'encourage' people to leave soon after. Doesn't make sense to me. Not to mention the vastly over-priced 'lager'.

No wonder fans go to the local pubs before the match.

That's entirely down to the police ... not the club who obviously lose out on folk being chased out so early.

Most folk that use the Aitken Suite will be prepared to pay a good bit more for a drink if there's reasonably priced decent catering to compensate. I've said before but I'd be appalled if the Club dropped the drinks prices given the bar is hardly sustainable as it is. That doesn't mean to say they can't do something about quality & service. (That's not a complaint btw. I haven't used the place for a good while.)

I hope the catering is sorted out soon. Many away fans will pick and choose which grounds to visit, so we're shooting ourselves in the foot if we're making Firhill less attractive. Ironically Dens Pk is one of the most inhospitable venues but that's not the point.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Cant really complain about the prices of draught drinks as they are on average only served once every 2 weeks and will have expiry dates. However bottled beers / cider will last a bit longer and are priced inline with pubs in the town imo which again is ok if you only want 1 or 2 drinks. Cans of fizzy drinks are extortionate. I think i can get a can of say Irn Bru for 45p in the shops and in the Aitken suite its over 3 times the price. Considering we are trying to encourage kids along by letting them in free are the club trying to recoup some money from the parents by ripping them off for buying the kids a fizzy drink