Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Great outcome but what a horrible horrible day as the draw against Forfar was ground out. At the penalty incident my heart was in my mouth as it should have been given.

I remember my brother and I looking at each other and thinking the worst...... but no penalty!!!

I still seethe at the stonewaller we got denied late on in the Tannadice play-off match, but maybe it's true that in the long term these things even themselves out..........

• Like 1

Remember the day so well.

The most nervous I've been before a football match by some comfortable margin.

Never a penalty and not even shown in the highlights shown on STV on the Sunday. The fact that our kick off was delayed helped. Hamilton had only won 2-0 and all we had to do was play out the last 8 minutes or so to go up. Hundreds of Thistle fans lining the side of the pitch banging the advertising hoardings in anticipation of the full time whistle is an image that will stay with me forever.

I can remember later that night while walking between Maryhill pubs, stopping off to buy a cheap warm bottle of champagne that tasted wonderful, hearing the sounds of celebrating Thistle fans from behind ever pub door. It was a wonderful sound.

Great memories. Time to make some more great memories today hopefully.

It was probably a penalty - would certainly be claiming it if it had happened at the other end!

Only time I've "invaded" the pitch - albeit with my late father who was well into his 70s and we had to very gently climb over the lowest part of the wall at the north end.

Looks like Gordon Whitelaw.

Previous looks like Hearts at Tynecastle. Jimmy Davidson, Tommy Ledgerwood and Joe Hogan? Most likely 18 October 1958 (0-2).

You're right again, afk. I must admit that I thought it was Ian Cowan, but this version of the photo confirms that it's Whitelaw.

GW1081_H1661.jpg

March 9th, 1963: 0-1 defeat against Queen of the South, ending a run of 15 matches without losing (including 10 consecutive wins!).

ETA: crowd of 9,000

Edited by Jaggernaut

Screen_Hunter_748_May_03_19_28.jpg

I can't think who the Jag is, but from the strip he's wearing I'm thinking it might be the pre-season (Glasgow Cup?) game v Rangers where we lost 4-2. We scored after 9 secs and 9 mins, Gary Peebles with the 1st but I can't remember the other scorer, to lead 1-0 then 2-1. A certain M Johnston scored 2 that night

I can't think who the Jag is, but from the strip he's wearing I'm thinking it might be the pre-season (Glasgow Cup?) game v Rangers where we lost 4-2. We scored after 9 secs and 9 mins, Gary Peebles with the 1st but I can't remember the other scorer, to lead 1-0 then 2-1. A certain M Johnston scored 2 that night

Judging by the condition of the pitch and the player involved (I think CJ is right, it's Alan McConville who didn't play first team football) I think it must be an end of season reserve game.

Anybody recognise these players?

Untitled.png

No idea of who or where, but Dundee United wore a similar strip as that before they changed to tangerine. I think Tannadice had a high wall. Pity we can't see a corner as it would confirm if Tannadice as they had extremely high corner walls