Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Who are the Jags players in this match against the defunctos?

Untitled.png

Tommy Rae on the left I think, he always wore his socks like that. Number 11 is possibly Denis McQuade. I'm not sure of the other 2. It could be Joe Craig jumping with McCloy (the keeper) but it's possibly before his time. I guess this is possibly season 72/73?

A wee bit of a mystery, this one. It's from the cover of the match vs. Dunfermline on 22nd September 1973, and shows action from the match two weeks earlier. Clearly it's Joe Craig challenging McCloy, with Badger looking on. But then the picture caption states that Archie Lochrie and Tommy Rae are also there. I agree with jaggy that it's Rae on the left. But there's no sign of Archie Lochrie in any match against them, or indeed in any first team match at all, according to the official handbook. The number 11 that day, and I think it looks like him, was Bobby Lawrie.

Unfortunately, a 1-0 defeat, in front of 21,000.

I used to always go and watch the reserves on a Saturday when Thistle were away that day around this time. Lochrie and Alf Stamp were the 2 outstanding players for the reserves at the time. Stamp could have been a legend had he made it!

He sort of did make it ..... four international caps for New Zealand!

A wee bit of a mystery, this one. It's from the cover of the match vs. Dunfermline on 22nd September 1973, and shows action from the match two weeks earlier. Clearly it's Joe Craig challenging McCloy, with Badger looking on. But then the picture caption states that Archie Lochrie and Tommy Rae are also there. I agree with jaggy that it's Rae on the left. But there's no sign of Archie Lochrie in any match against them, or indeed in any first team match at all, according to the official handbook. The number 11 that day, and I think it looks like him, was Bobby Lawrie.

Unfortunately, a 1-0 defeat, in front of 21,000.

Lochrie played twice that season, against Rangers on the date mentioned and against Dundee United in April (2-1). Danny Kellachan in the picture as well.

Lochrie played twice that season, against Rangers on the date mentioned and against Dundee United in April (2-1). Danny Kellachan in the picture as well.

Very interesting, afk. Does that mean the Official History Book is wrong for that game; in fact for that season, as Lochrie isn't listed at all?

Where is Kellachan in the photo ? :huh:

Is that him propping up the roof of the shed?

Edited by Jaggernaut

• Members

? 4 players in the picture from l to r... Rae, Craig, Houston, uncertain. Do you maybe think Kellachan is Houston AFK?

• Members
Funny how people see things differently: I immediately thought it was Badger! He's listed as playing in that match, but Lochrie isn't (at least in the official history).
Jaggernaut, did you check the slip of paper that has all the typos, incorrect stats that came with the book? Perhaps it's been corrected on there?

I knew Danny Kellachan quite well through work so I'm fairly confident that's him in the middle distance. I was my first reaction when I saw the photo. I agree there is a passing resemblance to Houston however.

The Glasgow Herald report of the match gives the line-up as:-

Rough, Hansen, Kellachan, Glavin, Anderson, Clark, Chalmers, Rae, Craig, Houston, Lochrie. (McQuade.)

I knew Danny Kellachan quite well through work so I'm fairly confident that's him in the middle distance. I was my first reaction when I saw the photo. I agree there is a passing resemblance to Houston however.

The Glasgow Herald report of the match gives the line-up as:-

Rough, Hansen, Kellachan, Glavin, Anderson, Clark, Chalmers, Rae, Craig, Houston, Lochrie. (McQuade.)

Apart from the build I'd be sure it's not Danny, hair looks too dark and I don't remember him getting that far forward

Tommy Rae on the left I think, he always wore his socks like that. Number 11 is possibly Denis McQuade. I'm not sure of the other 2. It could be Joe Craig jumping with McCloy (the keeper) but it's possibly before his time. I guess this is possibly season 72/73?

Rae, McLean, Craig, McCloy, Houston, Lochrie and Jardine. Certainly looks like Archie Lochrie from the back and it's definitely Badger and not Danny

Edited by Lindau