Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

If this photo is taken at an actual match, and the players are correctly named, then there are 4 strong candidates - partly because the opposition was Rangers or Celtic and it was the start of the season. Johnny MacKenzie was transferred to Dumbarton in mid-August 1960 so it can't be any later. Curran played regularly for the reserves the previous season but can't find any obvious match with the players named.

13/8/60 Rangers H Reserve League Cup 3-6 is the closest match except no Wardlaw.

Curran, Muir, Thomson, Brown, Staite, Cunningham, MacKenzie, Wilson, Fletcher, Hastings (?), Waugh.

16/8/60 Celtic A Reserve League Cup 0-2.

No team information however.

23/8/60 Rangers H Reserve League 3-2.

Cunningham (2) and Wilson scored but no other team info.

26/8/1960 Rangers A Reserve League Cup 1-9 (ouch!) is another possibility but Mackenzie played the following day against Rangers at Ibrox (his final game for the club) so, while possible, it's unlikely.

I'm thinking more likely a reserve game than a friendly fixture.

Certainly looks like Andy Gibson but I'm wondering if it might not be a young Derek Lyle . Next to him looks vaguely like Tommy Callaghan and the player making the tackle Gavin Duncan? That's just picking names that tie in the strip (97/98?) which I think would rule out Andy Gibson.

I am assuming the guy beside Sandy is Dick Staite ( helluva name) I always thought he was a bit later on in my jags supporting career!

Dick Staite later became rector of Beeslack Community High School in Penicuik and was knighted in the 2005 New Year honours list for his services to education!

Dick Staite later became rector of Beeslack Community High School in Penicuik and was knighted in the 2005 New Year honours list for his services to education!

Any other ex Jags players knighted?

Howzabout Sir Stephen McConologue for services to the world of soft shoes? Sir Adam Strachan for his selfless dedication to the pharmaceutical industry? Sir Albert Craig for the advancement of the Royal Mail?

• Like 1

He was my PE teacher for a while at NK school. Tall. Slim and fit as a fit thing. He used to walk round the gym singing " They're coming to take me away, ha ha ho ho hee hee"

• Like 1