Losing The Will...... Bbc Sportsound

jagfaelivi

I listen to the six till seven programme most nights and am getting ever more disillusioned listening to the inside leg measurement details of everyone who has ever played for Rangers..... it goes on and on and on.

And then it's on to the Tonev affair. Is it POSSIBLE to give this pair any more air time. The Friday night prog went on about McCoist then they started all over again on exactly the same stuff on Saturday.

As if this is not bad enough we then have to listen to Cowan and Cosgrove talking about their teams forever and ever. And they have the cheek, particularly the latter, to suggest their teams don't get enough air time in comparison to the "Big Two"!!!

Then it's on to the diminutive Young and the plight of the Paisley crew.

And we know that Richard Gordon supports Aberdeen and his son is a Dundee supporter. And Biscuits is a Hearts man....And wee John Robertson if he's not telling us about Hearts he is pontificating about what's happening to the two north of the haggis line.

Why do we pay our licence? Is it just me?

So they talk about NuGers, and Celtic, and Motherwell, and St Johnstone ... and St Mirren, and Aberdeen ... and Dundee ... and Hearts ... and Ross County and Inverness, more than everyone else. That's ten teams! Nine of which are in the top ten table of teams with the highest average attendance!

Who do you want them to talk about? The latest goings on at Arbroath? The Jags? I'm afraid to tell you there's not really much happening at Firhill for them to talk about. When there was - like McNamara leaving - it was pretty well covered. I've heard Archie being quoted on the bulletins sometimes. Not often, but it does happen. And - whisper it - there isn't much of a market for Thistle news. There's really not many of us.

Do you want them to get a Thistle supporting pundit on? I'd rather have nobody than that embarrassment of a St Mirren "fan", Chic Young. God help us if we had someone like him.

But yes, they don't give us enough highlights on Sportscene. Yes, they talk about the Old Firm too much - but that's because EVERYONE supports them.

Get rid of your telly and don't give them license fee. It's great.

They are feckin' crap but try the other stations to see just how good they are in comparison!

Edited by Richard Nixon
  • Like 3

I think the BBC Radio coverage is quite good, Saturday I listed to Open All Mics and when I heard it was Barry Wilson reporting from our game I thought brilliant this be biased but tbh Wilson was really fair and praised the real Thistle.

and If you think BBC Sportsound is bad try radio Snyde. !!!!

• Like 1

@LIB

I think there was obviously always too much coverage of the OF but if I remember correctly (which is always a moot point) it was nearly always football orientated rather than wall to wall coverage of an OF player's problem with his girlfriend's ingrown toenail or whatever. I think this is partly the result of us having few reporters who actually really care about football these days so they'll fill their columns with any old rubbish as long as they get an OF slant on it.

You are correct though about the entertainment value of one side of them these days.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I like Open All Mics. It's naff, they often just shout "oooof!" without telling you who's scored (or if they scored), and the worst broadcaster in Scotland, C. Young, is on it - but on the plus side, Richard Gordon's great at holding it together and it does give you a great overview of what's happening.

Can't stand Off the Ball - two fat, smug, unfunny w4nks doing the same jokes every week, now on twice on Saturdays!!!

This was the BBC's nadir in reporting on us in recent years - Reporting Scotland on the Ramsden's Cup final. We're not Falkirk and we didn't win. Apart from that, searingly accurate!

I think there was obviously always too much coverage of the OF but if I remember correctly (which is always a moot point) it was nearly always football orientated rather than wall to wall coverage of an OF player's problem with his girlfriend's ingrown toenail or whatever. I think this is partly the result of us having few reporters who actually really care about football these days so they'll fill their columns with any old rubbish as long as they get an OF slant on it.

Lot of "sweety wife" characters doing the reporting these days.

Can't stand Off the Ball - two fat, smug, unfunny w4nks doing the same jokes every week, now on twice on Saturdays!!!

I can't bear it either. It is just so tired and tedious.

I don't mind when they actually talk about football, but have to switch off when they start trying to be funny. Boring, boring, boring, and needs to be retired once and for all.

I listened to about an hour and half of BBC Radio Scotland on the way to the game today (the bus was slow). The best bit was the discussion of Rangers - particularly Derek Ferguson talking about walking into Ibrox and the fan saying "welcome to hell". Where the the programme goes wrong is when they stop focusing on stories/ talking points (stuff like the Old Firm) and instead go round the grounds in a very perfunctory unthinking way filling us in on the team line-ups and totally inane chats with managers. I just don't care who is playing for Kilmarnock, ICT, Aberdeen, Hamilton etc... today. They shouldn't do this anymore, yes there are a precious few seconds when they tell us the Thistle team - but that's tainted by the fact that i know the great majority of the listeners are just not interested. The pre-match intv's with managers are just a string of interchange-able cliche's and are so dull and meaningless i'd much rather listen to Chick Young talk about St Mirren or his wildly inaccurate take on the Rangers situation.

So..... I prefer Open all Mics (is anybody saying there is a better radio alternative?).

Off The Ball is annoying but funny, Jim Murphy was good today (his PR team will be delighted be came across as human and passionate about football)