Last Third

jagfaelivi

I have felt this for sooooo long but when it goes on week after week after week I really have to try to put it in writing.

We must be the LEAST creative team in the league when we get to the area of the field that means something, the last third. Just take today's efforts. It just peters out most of the time. We had six corners in a while here minute spell in the first half and never looked like scoring.

In the second half I counted in a relatively short period us having 6 free kicks or corners and their goalie caught five of them and the other one just petered out as so many of our attacks do.

This is NOT new - it's been going on to a lesser or greater extent since the promotion year. It shows up now as we struggle to score any kind of goal.

I'm positive managers of other teams just say to their defences that they should just wait for Thistle to pass the ball to them or hit a defender or fail to do anything but let the ball run out of play. We just NEVER look dangerous. I'm willing to be corrected but I'm sure I'm right. We just never do anything CLEVER or thoughtful with a free kick or corner and when we get into dangerous positions we give the ball up meekly or it just peters out cos we sling it into the middle to nobody.

Willing to be shot down in flames!!

• Like 1

We've scored nearly twice as many goals as Motherwell, more than St Johnstone and almost as many as ICT in third place. But we do seem to have a problem when it really matters, lots of our goals are when we're already comfortable. Again for me, this suggests a lack of confidence in going out and playing expressive football when the pressure's on. I think we have the ability.

We've scored nearly twice as many goals as Motherwell, more than St Johnstone and almost as many as ICT in third place. But we do seem to have a problem when it really matters, lots of our goals are when we're already comfortable. Again for me, this suggests a lack of confidence in going out and playing expressive football when the pressure's on. I think we have the ability.

We got gubbed again.......with every respect to you.........what bit do you not understand that WE ARE IN TROUBLE!!

We lost again. An away game. Narrowly. We're in a bit of trouble, as we're on a bad run and we need to get confidence back. But I wouldn't overstate it as we're 7 points clear of the team behind who are, I believe, worse than us and less likely to get results. I may be proved wrong and we may get dragged back, but to be honest I expected a relegation battle at the start of the season. So I keep it in perspective.

So with respect to you...I think you're a pant wetter

• Like 1

I have felt this for sooooo long but when it goes on week after week after week I really have to try to put it in writing.

We must be the LEAST creative team in the league when we get to the area of the field that means something, the last third. Just take today's efforts. It just peters out most of the time. We had six corners in a while here minute spell in the first half and never looked like scoring.

In the second half I counted in a relatively short period us having 6 free kicks or corners and their goalie caught five of them and the other one just petered out as so many of our attacks do.

This is NOT new - it's been going on to a lesser or greater extent since the promotion year. It shows up now as we struggle to score any kind of goal.

I'm positive managers of other teams just say to their defences that they should just wait for Thistle to pass the ball to them or hit a defender or fail to do anything but let the ball run out of play. We just NEVER look dangerous. I'm willing to be corrected but I'm sure I'm right. We just never do anything CLEVER or thoughtful with a free kick or corner and when we get into dangerous positions we give the ball up meekly or it just peters out cos we sling it into the middle to nobody.

Willing to be shot down in flames!!

I'm not going to shoot you down in flames

I'm sure we practise them but to what end? Never any hitting it short and somebody ready for the next pass; always, particularly from free kicks straight into the goalie's grasp (if he's any good at all, like today - see he got the man of the match)

AND how often do we hit first man? If Dools had got past the first man at the end just before they scored we might have been on here celebrating a win.

Is it management or perhaps a lack of passion? There are teams with worse squads doing better.

I'm sure we practise them but to what end? Never any hitting it short and somebody ready for the next pass; always, particularly from free kicks straight into the goalie's grasp (if he's any good at all, like today - see he got the man of the match)

AND how often do we hit first man? If Dools had got past the first man at the end just before they scored we might have been on here celebrating a win.

Is it management or perhaps a lack of passion? There are teams with worse squads doing better.

or maybe we have been players out of position and have stopped playing to our strengths

Or maybe we don't have better players, maybe we're totally rubbish, but Archie's been working miracles up until now making them look competent and he's finally just run out of miracles.

Or maybe...

The players and management are in this together, they've done well up to now, they're currently going through a tough time, and we should support them through it. I reckon they've earned the right to expect that, as well as earning a bit of breathing space which means that this bad run, while worrying, has not got us in a particularly bleak situation.

Or maybe we don't have better players, maybe we're totally rubbish, but Archie's been working miracles up until now making them look competent and he's finally just run out of miracles.

Or maybe...

The players and management are in this together, they've done well up to now, they're currently going through a tough time, and we should support them through it. I reckon they've earned the right to expect that, as well as earning a bit of breathing space which means that this bad run, while worrying, has not got us in a particularly bleak situation.

his decisions r terrible tho surely u agree stevensons been a stand out recently and was dropped today. Lawless most creative most assists this season didn't on the park today when we were in top and chasing a goal ! Being 2 scared to lose a goal cost us today when we should have being going for it ( being on top) cost us another late goal IMO ! Archie's done well but why are we so scared to try a different formation a seen the point of sticking to it when we were playing good football but that's all gd when we are but more often than not we have been hoofing the ball up

his decisions r terrible tho surely u agree stevensons been a stand out recently and was dropped today. Lawless most creative most assists this season didn't on the park today when we were in top and chasing a goal ! Being 2 scared to lose a goal cost us today when we should have being going for it ( being on top) cost us another late goal IMO ! Archie's done well but why are we so scared to try a different formation a seen the point of sticking to it when we were playing good football but that's all gd when we are but more often than not we have been hoofing the ball up

There have been decisions I've found difficult to understand recently but as a fan I accept that I don't know the full story. The hoofing the ball has been disappointing but I would suggest that this may have more to do with a lack of confidence to play expressive football rather than strict management instructions, and if this is the case I think it's important that the fans stay behind the team and don't start booing mistakes.

As you say, Archie's done well. I don't think that disagreeing with his decisions, or a run of a few bad results, is reason to start questioning his competence or predicting that he's leading us to inevitable collapse and relegation.

There have been decisions I've found difficult to understand recently but as a fan I accept that I don't know the full story. The hoofing the ball has been disappointing but I would suggest that this may have more to do with a lack of confidence to play expressive football rather than strict management instructions, and if this is the case I think it's important that the fans stay behind the team and don't start booing mistakes.

As you say, Archie's done well. I don't think that disagreeing with his decisions, or a run of a few bad results, is reason to start questioning his competence or predicting that he's leading us to inevitable collapse and relegation.

it keeps hapning though seems to think changing the players in team will fix things we haven't tried anything else formation wise ! Wouldn't boo the team though

It's quite simple. Nobody can deny Archie doing a good job.

But he is without a decent Rangers Gearts or Hibs. In a terrible league. With players who (barring Stevenson, Higgy, Fraser and mcdaid) look like they don't cate.

Away to Dundee? Bad result? Given Dundee being absolutely terrible and getting 3 points. There's no defence.

But he is without a decent Rangers Gearts or Hibs. In a terrible league. With players who (barring Stevenson, Higgy, Fraser and mcdaid) look like they don't cate.

Away to Dundee? Bad result? Given Dundee being absolutely terrible and getting 3 points. There's no defence.

agree with most of your points but would question higgy and Fraser who have went from our 2 best players to awful. Stevo mcdaid are the ones who can hold their heads high as well as Taylor and booth who recently joined and trying to fit in and osman

it keeps hapning though seems to think changing the players in team will fix things we haven't tried anything else formation wise ! Wouldn't boo the team though

One of the problems I have at the moment with the manager is that he has changed players in every single position except the area were the main problem seems to be and that is the Osman /Bannagin pairing in the middle.

One of the problems I have at the moment with the manager is that he has changed players in every single position except the area were the main problem seems to be and that is the Osman /Bannagin pairing in the middle.

Doubt any 1 would disagree that bannigan needs a break out the team he's nervy on the ball looks lost at times. Osman seem like he's a automatic choice to be in the team although a agree I'd like to see something different in the middle we seem to slow and none of then are likely to drive forward with ball Fraser should start for me he needs a run of games in the team to get back to his best unfortunately who do you pair him with because we don't have many for that position ! I'd love us to try 2 up front try n start getting goals doubt itl happen though

Seriously...Higgy looks as if he cares? When and where did you recently witness this? He has been pish all season and takes the huff, like fecking off down the tunnel when subbed or battering the ball off the windows in the main stand.

Galls.. Doesn't look interested? When was this, the last 2 games when on the bench.

Serious question....if your boss kept giving you the best job one week and then made you clean the sh*t out the toilets the next! for no good reason.. Would you be interested in your work? Players that have been dropped for no apparent reason and are being kept on the bench watching no better than themselves are maybe pissed off, but not interested?

Seriously...Higgy looks as if he cares? When and where did you recently witness this? He has been pish all season and takes the huff, like fecking off down the tunnel when subbed or battering the ball off the windows in the main stand.

Galls.. Doesn't look interested? When was this, the last 2 games when on the bench.

Serious question....if your boss kept giving you the best job one week and then made you clean the sh*t out the toilets the next! for no good reason.. Would you be interested in your work? Players that have been dropped for no apparent reason and are being kept on the bench watching no better than themselves are maybe pissed off, but not interested?

lawless should be on the verge of killing Archie then haha