Celtic Vs Partick Thistle - Wednesday 8 April

jagfox

It's an interesting point. My view is that where a penalty has been awarded a goal-scoring opportunity has technically not been denied, simply delayed. The maximum player punishment should therefore be a booking unless the challenge itself would have warranted a red card elsewhere on the pitch.

This draws a very fine line between a "last man" challenge inside and outside the box, where the latter does deny the opportunity and would therefore be a red card. Nonetheless I think it would still be fairer.

• Like 1

Pwoud of the lads last night. Celtic are "the better team". And so they should be. But, after a bit of a shaky start, I thought our boys showed promising maturity last night, especially second half.

Bit disappointed we didn't start with Taylor. Think most would agree, Stevo up front aint our best look. We need to give Lyle match time and as the game went on felt more and more we needed someone to run on to through balls rather than a guy to hold up what we could get to him. Thought our midfield didn't look out of place and Lawless has the guile and speed to be a better player than he sometimes is. Celtic, far from a one man team but really miss "broonie". Fox looks back to near shot stopping best, although hope handling and kicking improve with games.

Really feel for Craigen. Just as he was really starting to show his worth to some fans, straight red. I've always thought the staright red is a bit harsh, even for last man tackles outside the box. Red cards should be for violent or consistent fouls. Wee jimmy was just doin his best.

Down to 10 men, it was backs to wall, but I don't recall too many panic blooters up the park. We showed great confidence and professionalism in trying to hold posession as much as we could. The first 10-15mins (2nd half) were fantastic, even carving out a couple of half chances and corners. Big praise to Ossie and Bannigan thought they were magnificent. Their second goal was a great move but in looking at it from our side I thought it maybe highlighted a flaw with Frans. He's got a bit of work to do to meet early expectations for me. A good player, but sometimes he's just that wee half a yard or half a second off the game.

I'm not so much blaming him for last nights goal, but I do think sometimes he's gotta stay tighter on his man, especially in the box. Good forward players don't need much room to cause problems.

Felt a bit for Mcdaid when he came own with us a man down. Young guys can get a bit frustrated, feel they ain't getting into the game if they don't see much of the ball. But I thought he did a great job, just with his running, staying wide and keeping them as stretched as we could hope for. Was much needed, as I thought Higgy faded a bit second half, although fair play to him it was a tough shift, and wouldn't mark him down for anything really.

Despite the loss we should take alot of confidence from this performance into the well game. Treat it as a re-match of last night, keep switched-on for the full 90, our chances will come. We are a good team. Let us fans do the worrying and jsut focus on the job.

:fan:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 1

Interesting situation is that we are probably on our best run of form of the season (in regards to performances & results) yet we've been drawn back in to the dogfight by the unbelievable form of RC & Motherwell. If we keep doing as we have been in recent weeks we should be fine (hopefully), it's hard to see RC & Motherwell keeping their form up until the end of the season but we can't rely on that happening.

Alot of it will come down to who we beat, 3 wins against RC & Motherwell will see us safe, wins against Hamilton & Killie, with defeats to RC & Motherwell wouldn't really ease the nerves I don't think.

Interesting situation is that we are probably on our best run of form of the season (in regards to performances & results) yet we've been drawn back in to the dogfight by the unbelievable form of RC & Motherwell. If we keep doing as we have been in recent weeks we should be fine (hopefully), it's hard to see RC & Motherwell keeping their form up until the end of the season but we can't rely on that happening.

Alot of it will come down to who we beat, 3 wins against RC & Motherwell will see us safe, wins against Hamilton & Killie, with defeats to RC & Motherwell wouldn't really ease the nerves I don't think.

No doubt about the form of County and Motherwell. Even so I don't believe we need fear either team. County did ride their luck against us at Dingwall. Of course it's not their fault Higgy got himself sent off. But, against ten men or not, how they never conceded a goal in the last 30 mins had little to do with good form. In fact their defending was very poor and disorganised.

Our performance against County at Firhill was possibly the worst we played all season and there's no reason to believe we'll play as poorly again. Last game against Motherwell was another where we never really got going and i didn't feel they were that impressive. Of course they're now playing with more confidence but like County I don't think they can sit back and play out draws. As others have pointed out we're often at our poorest when teams sit in and aren't too upset if they only draw.

• Like 1

It's an interesting point. My view is that where a penalty has been awarded a goal-scoring opportunity has technically not been denied, simply delayed. The maximum player punishment should therefore be a booking unless the challenge itself would have warranted a red card elsewhere on the pitch.

This draws a very fine line between a "last man" challenge inside and outside the box, where the latter does deny the opportunity and would therefore be a red card. Nonetheless I think it would still be fairer.

Far too sensible, that!

What if it's the last minute of a World Cup quarter-final and someone cheats to stop a certain goal that would knock out their country? I don't think anyone would argue that Suarez should've stayed on the pitch for his handball against Ghana, but really what's the difference? Craigen ultimately made a mistake, and we paid for it. It happens - that's football.

For argument's sake -and I wouldn't want to see this happen - awarding a 'penalty goal' for denying a goal-scoring chance would make logical sense. The ref wouldn't have to send anyone off either as the goal hasn't been denied any more. It would make football less fun (like rugby) but it would be fairer.

• Members

There are just too many if's and but's about the whole double punishment scenario. The automatic sending off for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity was brought in at the time to stop the rise of the "professional foul" and it worked effectively so much so that people now forget why that rule was brought in! My view is that the rule remains as is.

However, I do think the automatic suspension is unfair. I think the offence should have a separate classification. Consideration should be taken as to what colour of card would have been shown if the offence had occurred elsewhere on the field. i.e. the player is dismissed and the player is punished as befits the offence on the rest of the pitch. Taking the Craigen incident from Wednesday for instance, James would have been sent off for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, however, if that foul had taken place elsewhere on the pitch, I reckon he would have received at most a yellow card for tripping. This being the case, he wouldn't automatically miss the next game and would only receive the penalty point value for that offence under the totting up scheme.