Flags Out For Engurlund

Blackpool Jags

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ITV will be watched on mute for the duration of the World Cup.

As for the Hansen haters, hang your heads in shame. He takes great pleasure in winding them up. The man's a legend.

Aye, it depresses me when I find out a game is on ITV when I had thought it might be on BBC. Whilst most English pundits will be incredibly biased, I actually feel the BBC aren't as bad, and I find their analysis of performances and tactics is much better than ITV's.

ITV will be watched on mute for the duration of the World Cup.

As for the Hansen haters, hang your heads in shame. He takes great pleasure in winding them up. The man's a legend.

He's also one of the few pundits worth listening to. He's intelligent and insightful, the complete opposite of Ian Wright.

Maybe folk don't like Mr Hansen because for all he was a great player at Liverpool he was crap for both Thistle and Scotland! Never forgiven him for the mix up with Willie Miller that let Russia knock us out of the WC in 82?

I dont remember him being crap for us. Granted I was too young to pass serious comment on his performances but going by how highly rated he was, I would find this to be strange.

As for the infamous USSR game, Miller was equally to blame but never seemed to cop the same amount of flak.

Hansen was an absolutely sublime footballer.

He's also one of the few pundits worth listening to. He's intelligent and insightful, the complete opposite of Ian Wright.

If ever there was a definition of chalk and cheese, that would be it. I'm surprised Wright has the intelligence to remember his own name, never mind give 'expert analysis' on football.

Maybe folk don't like Mr Hansen because for all he was a great player at Liverpool he was crap for both Thistle and Scotland!

I wasn't even born when he played for us, but how could he be crap for Thistle and then go on to sign for Liverpool? Any older Thistle fans I have spoke to idolised him when he was at Firhill. Although some were of the opinion that his brother was even better.

If ever there was a definition of chalk and cheese, that would be it. I'm surprised Wright has the intelligence to remember his own name, never mind give 'expert analysis' on football.

Indeed. Also, it's hard enough listening to that halfwits ramblings when England are doing well, but my hatred for him reached new levels when he threw his toys out of the pram when Northern Ireland beat them at Windsor Park. It disgusted me as a licence payer, that an "expert" on the BBC just decided to sit with his arms folded and sulk in the corner without offering one word of praise for the opposition who just so happened to be British as well. Ian Dowie made up for it though, by making no attempt to hide his delight. Wright is an ********* of the highest order.

Will the BBC be offering their "alternative commentaries" via the red button this time round?

I remember in 2006 they had one audio stream that sounded like a woman and a little boy. To all intents and purposes, it sounded no different to Mark Lawrenson and John Motson.

Is Ian Wright definitely going this time? I'd have thought that after his various sulks and refusing to comment on games not involving England, that the BBC would have found a better option for our licence fees.

Maybe folk don't like Mr Hansen because for all he was a great player at Liverpool he was crap for both Thistle and Scotland! Never forgiven him for the mix up with Willie Miller that let Russia knock us out of the WC in 82?

I don't know who you have been talking to, but Alan Hansen was one of the very few truly classy players we've had in my time Wish we could unearth another. He made Gary Harkins look a real second-rater. None who were there will forget his stunning winner against Bolton Wanderers in the Anglo Scottish Cup, or his double in a 4-3 win over Rangers at Firhill - including the winning goal from the penalty spot. I think those we try to put him down all the time as a pundit are doing so because he doesn't share their own absurd 'anti everything English' agenda. My memories of his contrinution on the field for Jags are happy ones. Sure, he and Miller made a real hash in that game against USSR, but Miller was equally to blame in not giving him a shout, and has not had to cope with the mockery that he has.He also played extremely well for his country, and fully deserved his caps, won in a much better Scottish team than that which we have today.

I don't know who you have been talking to, but Alan Hansen was one of the very few truly classy players we've had in my time Wish we could unearth another. He made Gary Harkins look a real second-rater. None who were there will forget his stunning winner against Bolton Wanderers in the Anglo Scottish Cup, or his double in a 4-3 win over Rangers at Firhill - including the winning goal from the penalty spot. I think those we try to put him down all the time as a pundit are doing so because he doesn't share their own absurd 'anti everything English' agenda. My memories of his contrinution on the field for Jags are happy ones. Sure, he and Miller made a real hash in that game against USSR, but Miller was equally to blame in not giving him a shout, and has not had to cope with the mockery that he has.He also played extremely well for his country, and fully deserved his caps, won in a much better Scottish team than that which we have today.

Having watched Alan play for us on numerous occasions I can safely say that he was up there with the very very best we've ever produced.

His contribution in that 4-3 victory over the loaded guns was simply sorcery personified. In fact, and despite the close sounding scoreline, Alan Hansen made that match one of the most one-sided games I've ever had the pleasure to behold. He scored two, made one and had a hand in the other. Not since the heroics of Johnny Gibson against them in September 1971 had any Jag been so influential in any game.

In my own humble opinion, I would say that we've never developed a better player. As we say, though, it's all about opinions.

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I always left Firhill after watching Mr Hansen with an air of frustration, one shared with Bertie Auld, who regularly described him as lazy and made him do extra training. Of course he turned out a good player at Liverpool and their scouts obviously saw something (and know considerably more about football than I do). I agree Mr Miller was equally to blame for the Russian fiasco, the difference however, was that generally you could watch Miller and be pretty sure there was maximum effort being applied, the same could not be said for Mr Hansen, in my opinion!

It doesn't mean its right its just my opinion!

Heard a joke at the weekend, to be sung to Duran Duran's "Rio" when Rooney picks up some penalty points: "His name is Rooney and he's watching from the stands..."

You sure it isn't "His name is Rio and he watches from the stand"? :thinking: