Flags Out For Engurlund

Blackpool Jags

That's it now, it's not possible to be outside your house down here for two minutes without seeing either a pub, a car or some bam staggering along the road smothered in St George's red and white.

Look, I know that if we were going to South Africa in a few weeks we'd probably be doing the same, but for Jeezus' sake, what do you have to do to disabuse this mob of the seemingly unshakeable belief that they're going to be crowned World champions this summer. Ain't gonna happen chaps, get used to it and spend your money on sweeties for the weans or whatever but get that red'n'white sh*te tae feck. :thumbdown:

What a horrible thought: a Tory Government and them winning the World Cup. I'd definitely have to chuck my job, family and house if that nightmare scenario kicked in. Thankfully, it ain't gonna happen, at least not all of it. :thinking:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you look at their squad you realise how thin it really is. 2 or 3 outstanding players and the rest are 'OK'. Not a winning squad (though Greece and their grinding out 1-0s to Euro success a few years ago is a sobering thought)

Won't be supporting them, but can't really begrudge the nation for getting excited about the tournament. if we were there and people/ pubs etc were starting to hang out Scotland flags I would probably think that'd be a good thing...

I'm just glad they finally got round to using the St George's flag rather than the Union flag.

Edited by Mr Scruff

Must be a bad time for all Scots living in England at the minute.

As for your Tory/England prediction, I could feel all the colour drain from my face as I read that. Please don't tell me your full name is Blackpool Nostradamus Jags?

No. Eerily close, though. It's Blackpool No-Tory-amus Jags. :happy2:

I can't comment on Blackpool Jag's situation but it must be as uncomfortable as his brother (I think) is late into games. :lol:;)

Not sure I'd be comfortable as a Scot if some belligerent, pissed Englishman wants to pick a fight with a 'sweaty'. Then again, I've seen a fool in a kilt with a huge feather in his bunnet lecture a pal from down south on how bad the English are.

Surreal.

You can't get into any shop down here practically without having to pass these bloody flags or displays for Engerlund guff. Would probably be the same if we'd have qualified in Scottish stores. If I get asked why we don't support them, I ask them what club team they support. If for example they are an Arsenal fan, I ask them who they support if Spurs or Chelsea are playing and the inevitable answer is whoever they're playing. They tend to look blank when I ask "So what's the difference?"

I really don't have a problem with the way they get behind their team - most of them have an expectation of quarter or semis finals at best - I've not spoken to anyone that has said they'll win it. It's the sh*te talked in the media that's gets yer goat.

Looking forward to being in the pub with a bunch of yanks for England's opening game defeat!

2 or 3 outstanding players and the rest are 'OK'. Not a winning squad (though Greece and their grinding out 1-0s to Euro success a few years ago is a sobering thought)

it's a similar formula to greece that england has adopted, using a disciplinarian foreign coach who gets the best out of a fairly ordinary group of players. the difference is that england do have a few top line individuals. they've got to fancy their chances against some of the teams above them in the fifa rankings - argentina (maradona's squad and team selects), spain (if iniesta, villa, torres and senna don't recover in time), weak italy and germany sides and portugal.

I can't comment on Blackpool Jag's situation but it must be as uncomfortable as his brother (I think) is late into games. :lol:;)

Not sure I'd be comfortable as a Scot if some belligerent, pissed Englishman wants to pick a fight with a 'sweaty'. Then again, I've seen a fool in a kilt with a huge feather in his bunnet lecture a pal from down south on how bad the English are.

Surreal.

I've never got into this kilt thing - and 'feathers', I ask you! Surely the kilt is Highland dress and nothing to do with the great majority of Scots who are Lowlanders (or even of Irish background).. It's adoption by the more aggressive elements in the "Tartan Army" is an embarassment really.

Personally I hope England do well in SA If they play to their potential they should do so - but like Scotland usually are incapable of coping with the big occasion. Some English fans are honest enough to admit this.

Many Scottish fans, unhappily, are so consumed by bitter envy that they make fools of themselves.

Surreal.

You're not wrong there, McKennan. Homerjag used to have this laid back idea that it was ok to order another pint in the Strathy at ten to three! :o

I've never got into this kilt thing - and 'feathers', I ask you! Surely the kilt is Highland dress and nothing to do with the great majority of Scots who are Lowlanders (or even of Irish background).. It's adoption by the more aggressive elements in the "Tartan Army" is an embarassment really.

Personally I hope England do well in SA If they play to their potential they should do so - but like Scotland usually are incapable of coping with the big occasion. Some English fans are honest enough to admit this.

Many Scottish fans, unhappily, are so consumed by bitter envy that they make fools of themselves.

It's not the first time that i've seen this type of post on a thistle forum. A sweeping generalisation of every single person that attends Scotland matches in a kilt. What exactly do you mean by the "more aggressive elements"?

To my knowledge i've never met you, and you've never met me. I do, however, offer my sincerest apologies for causing you no end of embarrassment for wearing my kilt when attending Scotland games.

A few year ago when I stayed in Maidenhead, the bags in the local Sainsburys had I'm an official England supporter over them, So I let all the items go through the till but never packed anything, When I got the bill I refused to pay until they got me normal Sainsbury's bags. Took them a couple of minutes until they realised I was perfectly serious, and it was going to cause them more hassle to put all the items back on the shelves that is was to get me bags. :)

A few year ago when I stayed in Maidenhead, the bags in the local Sainsburys had I'm an official England supporter over them, So I let all the items go through the till but never packed anything, When I got the bill I refused to pay until they got me normal Sainsbury's bags. Took them a couple of minutes until they realised I was perfectly serious, and it was going to cause them more hassle to put all the items back on the shelves that is was to get me bags. :)

That's funny!

I'd love to say I think this is sad but I really wish I would have the guts to do that!

My burd gets really pissed off that I'm refusing to buy the England Flagged Sunday Roast flavoured Walkers Crisps, Caramel Cheers Frijj Milkshake with the England flag covering the whole bottle. I did inadvertently buy Mars bars with the three lions as I was giving chocolate bars to people who took part in my experiment and just picked up loads of multipacks without looking :(

I did not go as far as to refuse to pay in sainsburys over those bags, but I did go to customer service and complain, holding up the queue for a while. they did not realise i was being serious at first either!

That's it now, it's not possible to be outside your house down here for two minutes without seeing either a pub, a car or some bam staggering along the road smothered in St George's red and white.

Look, I know that if we were going to South Africa in a few weeks we'd probably be doing the same, but for Jeezus' sake, what do you have to do to disabuse this mob of the seemingly unshakeable belief that they're going to be crowned World champions this summer. Ain't gonna happen chaps, get used to it and spend your money on sweeties for the weans or whatever but get that red'n'white sh*te tae feck. :thumbdown:

What a horrible thought: a Tory Government and them winning the World Cup. I'd definitely have to chuck my job, family and house if that nightmare scenario kicked in. Thankfully, it ain't gonna happen, at least not all of it. :thinking:

Yes it hell down here and going to get worse. the flags started early with St Georges day and it will go on until they get (hopefully) knocked out. If they do I hope it is not on penalties just clearly outplayed. And while I am on a rant I hope we can get a good shot of John T***y gutted.

Unfortunaltley I think we are going to get Cameron

i got dug up by some guy in a pub in aberdeen one night before a midweek friendly for not wearing a kilt. pathetic

The tartan army are indeed pathetic, they put me right off my drugging and hooring in the dam last year with their annoying patter and unkempt appearance.

On the subject of England and the world cup, yes the commentators and some of the fans can get upon the chest somewhat but to an extent I wish them well, there are plenty of average joes and jessies exactly the same as us down south who could do with a bit of cheering up in the current climate.

Just as long as they dont actually win the ******* thing!

Edited by nickywalkerfanclub

You're not wrong there, McKennan. Homerjag used to have this laid back idea that it was ok to order another pint in the Strathy at ten to three! :o

I was never able to keep up with the big bugger. Shame we didn't travel to games together when DC was in charge - we'd have missed all the goals by the time we got to the ground and could just have pissed off back to the pub. :lol:

B)

Edited by McKennan

I'd love to say I think this is sad but I really wish I would have the guts to do that!

Off course it was sad but It was fun to do, You just eventually get sick of the whole Engerland thing when you live there, Its the people who never show an interest in football are the worst I find . I remember after the Euro 96 game when I eventually went back into work coming in to find an England shirt spreadover my desk. When I walked into the office the whole department was watching to see my reaction, I just up to my desk picked it and blew my nose in and said thank god for that I'd forgotten my hankie and dropped in in the bin, along with half a cup of coffee. Five minutes later on of the other managers came in to the department laughing and asking for his England shirt back . I just reached in to the bid and pulled the snottery coffee soacked rag out, his face was a picture

Can't see the problem with wearing a kilt to a Scotland game, is it not the national costume of our nation? You should be proud of it laddie!

I really hope England don't win the World Cup, I even moved 12,000 miles just in case but theres enough of them here to make life miserable if they do! I think I've said it before, I am OK with them winning matches upto and including the quarter finals but please no more!

Off course it was sad but It was fun to do, You just eventually get sick of the whole Engerland thing when you live there, Its the people who never show an interest in football are the worst I find . I remember after the Euro 96 game when I eventually went back into work coming in to find an England shirt spreadover my desk. When I walked into the office the whole department was watching to see my reaction, I just up to my desk picked it and blew my nose in and said thank god for that I'd forgotten my hankie and dropped in in the bin, along with half a cup of coffee. Five minutes later on of the other managers came in to the department laughing and asking for his England shirt back . I just reached in to the bid and pulled the snottery coffee soacked rag out, his face was a picture

:worshippy: :worshippy:

I too have worries about them winning. I like to remind myself of the following:

1. They haven't got a goalkeeper worth the name.

2. Apart from Rooney (and how fit is he?) their strikers are ordinary.

3. Rio Ferdinand is capable of making almighty blunders.

4. They don't have much cover in any department.

5. They think they are going to cruise through their group, which may work against them.