Ict Saturday

Vinnyjag

So is this an issue around fear of losing instead of being able to cut free with some creativity?

Our flowing football when we won the league was lovely; yet was that league not the same size?

I take your point but no one is going to convince me that playing the same team four times a season (the by product of small leagues) is anything but counterproductive. That season we were never out the top three so had more latitude to play flowing football. Even then from February on (after a certain event the previous month) our football to a degree was less free flowing and more functional. You could argue that comes about out of necessity when you're playing against teams for the fourth time, many of whom will be desperate for points. Bottom line as I see it is there's nothing but negativity that can come from the over familiarity created by small leagues. I can't come up with one plus point that arises from playing teams four times a season.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 3

So is this an issue around fear of losing instead of being able to cut free with some creativity? Our flowing football when we won the league was lovely; yet was that league not the same size?

Possibly more to do with the teams we played in the different leagues maybe, i think now we look to damage limitation with three maybe four of the prem league whilst in 1 div we just went at everyone, meaning that the rest of the games in the prem become more important for points and therefore more pressure which stifles the creativity and/or flowing football, a larger league would take some of that fear away IMHO :thinking:

Edited by jaggybunnet

I take your point but no one is going to convince me that playing the same team four times a season (the by product of small leagues) is anything but counterproductive. That season we were never out the top three so had more latitude to play flowing football. Even then from February on (after a certain event the previous month) our football to a degree was less free flowing and more functional. You could argue that comes about out of necessity when you're playing against teams for the fourth time, many of whom will be desperate for points. Bottom line as I see it is there's nothing but negativity that can come from the over familiarity created by small leagues. I can't come up with one plus point that arises from playing teams four times a season.

The 'four games a season' situation was only put in place to help two clubs...

• Like 1

Malky Mackay has been telling us all recently that we can sustain 16 top level academies but then goes on to say in the same interview that we can't sustain 16 teams in the top flight. It's an utterly ludicrous contradiction.

...and an equally ludicrous appointment, imo.