In All Seriousness...

carefulpuntgeorge

...Ok, today was awful.

McCall came out in the press this week and was honest for a change. His job this season is to make sure Thistle are still in existence in May.

Some are calling for his head, others for the board's.

We simply cannot afford to pay the guy off - that's out. It'd be financial suicide to even contemplate that.

So, the board. Say the fans do persuade them to walk. What, in all seriousness, happens next? Do we wait on a big investor? Is it plausible for us all to pay a certain amount extra and elect our "own" board?

...Ok, today was awful.

McCall came out in the press this week and was honest for a change. His job this season is to make sure Thistle are still in existence in May.

Some are calling for his head, others for the board's.

We simply cannot afford to pay the guy off - that's out. It'd be financial suicide to even contemplate that.

So, the board. Say the fans do persuade them to walk. What, in all seriousness, happens next? Do we wait on a big investor? Is it plausible for us all to pay a certain amount extra and elect our "own" board?

if he any decency he would walk away...he has signed a pile of duds like DC..I don't what would happen if he does but how long does he get???? if we go down this year the end is nigh...McCall IMO is very quickly becoming a figure of hatred amongst most jags fans and unfortunately it is only going to get worse

totally scunnered with it all

Agree with that - squad made up only a couple of duds I reckon with a sprinkling of maturity along with a lot of average mediocity and some youthful potential for the future.

Unfortunately we need results NOW and that blend don't seem to be working.

I'm very concerned for the future.

Nowhere near as bad as the majority of duds Campbell signed. We have some very good players that just aren't producing the goods.

Correct, the main reason being lack of motivation, imo. That has to be the manager's fault, but also the players. The players do try their best, especially come the end of games when losing, but they don't have the composure or skill to convert a chance that falls their way. If they played with the same urgency for 90mins & not just the last 10mins when losing, we'd be some team.

if he any decency he would walk away...he has signed a pile of duds like DC..I don't what would happen if he does but how long does he get???? if we go down this year the end is nigh...McCall IMO is very quickly becoming a figure of hatred amongst most jags fans and unfortunately it is only going to get worse

totally scunnered with it all

Don't think it is hatred amongst most fans, even those who want him out are unlikely to hate him. If he walks away you dont know what would happen? Yet you want him out on the off chance this BoD can hire a better replacement. I dont expect a new manager to have any more chance of avoiding relegation than McCall, and if we did have a new manager what happens to Jaggy Mac and Sid? Would the next manager want to keep them in their current roles? Would he have any choice given its unlikely he will be able to bring his own backroom team (and if he was allowed to then Id expect McCall to be ragin given he hasnt been allowed to). Perhaps Jaggy and Sid would be put in charge, would that suit people?

There's an option open to the board, but I'm not saying they should do this now (or anytime), it's a possibility should they want McCall out of the picture & wanted to replace him with Jackie/Sid/Maxy/Archie/Cameron/Hinchy. Place him on gardening leave, means he's still getting paid (as we can't afford to sack him), but there's a fressness with whoever they decided being promoted to manager.

Again, I'm not saying this should happen. But it's an option open to the board if things didn't improve in the coming months.

There's an option open to the board, but I'm not saying they should do this now (or anytime), it's a possibility should they want McCall out of the picture & wanted to replace him with Jackie/Sid/Maxy/Archie/Cameron/Hinchy. Place him on gardening leave, means he's still getting paid (as we can't afford to sack him), but there's a fressness with whoever they decided being promoted to manager.

Again, I'm not saying this should happen. But it's an option open to the board if things didn't improve in the coming months.

At the moment I think that is our only option.McCall, to me ,looks done as a manager.Today was nothing to do with budget or lack of money and everything to do with being under motivated and disorganised.We've had nearly a full season of this now and our manager has nothing different to offer in tactics from one week to the next.I was watching his body language today and he looks as if he's given up.We look almost incapable of scoring and light years from actually winning a game.Carrying on the way we are is not an option,we will go down and everyone seems to know it apart from the board.

I thought the problem was thaty he was already spending too much time at the Turf Acccountant

At the moment I think that is our only option.McCall, to me ,looks done as a manager.Today was nothing to do with budget or lack of money and everything to do with being under motivated and disorganised.We've had nearly a full season of this now and our manager has nothing different to offer in tactics from one week to the next.I was watching his body language today and he looks as if he's given up.We look almost incapable of scoring and light years from actually winning a game.Carrying on the way we are is not an option,we will go down and everyone seems to know it apart from the board.

I think they probably know it too.

That's what makes it so tragic.

• Members

in your opinion willjag..do you believe mccall or the players are at fault???

I think the manager has ran out of ideas about what to do with what he has in his squad. That was obvious after Christmas. No money to freshen things up has just made things worse this season and that's not his fault.

I think the manager has ran out of ideas about what to do with what he has in his squad. That was obvious after Christmas. No money to freshen things up has just made things worse this season and that's not his fault.

Yes and No...he chose to re-sign Kinniburgh, Sid, Maxi, Hinchy etc... That was his decision, not the boards.

He also chose to give extended contracts to Doolan, Erskine, 2 yr deal for Boyle, 2 yr contract for Grehan.

Admittedly Doolan and Boyle have started the season well but i dont think it will last.

Ive been a supporter of McCall but yesterday changed my opinion.

McCall out...Jackie Mac to take over.

• Members

And yes, McCall's statement during the week that Jackie Mac is a manager in waiting was very telling. If Jackie would take the job without a wage increase until McCall's contract ran out, or he went elsewhere, I'd offer him the job like a shot. It might not work, but it can't get any worse than it is at the moment.

• Members

Yes and No...he chose to re-sign Kinniburgh, Sid, Maxi, Hinchy etc... That was his decision, not the boards.

He also chose to give extended contracts to Doolan, Erskine, 2 yr deal for Boyle, 2 yr contract for Grehan.

Admittedly Doolan and Boyle have started the season well but i dont think it will last.

Ive been a supporter of McCall but yesterday changed my opinion.

McCall out...Jackie Mac to take over.

That money was spent before he got this season's budget though which is my point. No-one could argue with those signings not being the best. He did have to pick up a left back at short notice at the start of last season. Boyle had been getting good reviews at Dumbarton. Erskine again looked a good prospect to begin with but has faded badly (confidence issue?). Grehan had a great game against us in the Cup a couple of seasons back, but hasn't adjusted well to full time first division football and is another that looks short on confidence. There is no excuse for Willie Kinniburgh. The 4 old guys are apparently on buttons and would amount to signing one player. They might, as McCall says, be more beneficial to us in the future with developing the younger players.

McCall is partially to blame, but the blame lies much deeper than him. McCall leaving alone will not change things that much, the Board and their attitudes also need to change.

• Members

:thinking: maybe the Trust could help out and get it up to £200pw :thumbsup2:

Or maybe the Centenary Fund could contribute to his increase in wages, that's how it was sold wasn't it? Don't think I recall at the merger meeting, hearing that the money for more players would come after Eddie Prentice had his cut. The Trust got nothing out of the merger but empty promises and the fans have had nothing out of it on the pitch but no doubt it's helped Eddie invest in Propco! At least someone is benefiting.

Or maybe the Centenary Fund could contribute to his increase in wages, that's how it was sold wasn't it? Don't think I recall at the merger meeting, hearing that the money for more players would come after Eddie Prentice had his cut. The Trust got nothing out of the merger but empty promises and the fans have had nothing out of it on the pitch but no doubt it's helped Eddie invest in Propco! At least someone is benefiting.

Correct. And just from a marketing point of view how much easier would it be to get new members if the CF was seen as a tool for signing players?