Archie News On Official Site

honved

It wouldn't bother you if the career of a great servant to the club was at an end?

no.

He was the same great servant who jumped ship at the first time of asking.

Who only returned IMO because he was offered a testimonial by the board... The same testimonial that would be paid by the fans. Not the board.

In my opinion he has cruised through games since his return, hardly breaking sweat. And not in a good way.

The only timne he has pushed himself has been during the United game. As it happens, a tv highlights game against an SPL team.

When I started going to Thistle games Archie was left back and ran up the wings etc, used to think he was great but sinse his return I've not been overly impressed by him, remember a game last year and he gave the ball away a lot and nobody said anything at the game yet when other players gave the ball away they'd get some amount of abuse

Anyways hope he returns and turns me into an Archie fan again

This stuff is comedy gold. I think it's clear that age and injury are starting to take their toll on Archie, but to ignore his contribution to Thistle down the years and suggest the threat of a premature end to his career doesn't elicit a sympathetic response? Madness.

Having watched Archie since he was about 16 and had the huge honour of serving on his testimonial committee I feel qualified to comment. I've rarely come across a footballer less filled by ego than he is. Professional is an over used phrase in football but it sums Alan Archibald up perfectly. Legend.

This stuff is comedy gold. I think it's clear that age and injury are starting to take their toll on Archie, but to ignore his contribution to Thistle down the years and suggest the threat of a premature end to his career doesn't elicit a sympathetic response? Madness.

Don't know if this is directed at me, but I haven't ignored what Archie has given down the years. All I have said is that since his return (and I am not alone) I would say he has not performed as well as he should.

Will i miss him, no. Why should I , he has not performed to the best of his ability since his return to the club.

Football is a tough sport. Get on with it.

There's another wing back, very much in Archie's mould, we should be getting behind.

Paddy Boyle? The lad's had my support from day one.

Archie's still on a par with Robbo as our best centre back. We lose him we're reliant on Kinniburgh or Maxwell. No ta.

We're not though, i'd be looking to our reserve/youth teams. Plenty of more than capable players to fill the roll. Especially if they play beside Robertson.

Not bothered either way, he let himself down, and the fans, when during an average season, performance wise; ran his guts out against Dundee United in the cup, especially as it was his first stint as wing back in years.

Another example of Thistle ego, no leader.

I've read some rubbish on here in my time but this takes the biscuit.

Archie didn't want to leave Thistle but like Craigan and a few others, he couldn't work with Gerry Collins. He wasn't on big money at Utd and probably lost money as he would have been in his testimonial year had he stayed.

Archie is the one guy we have that has some genuine care about the club. Every Thistle fan should be willing him to be back captaining the side. I only wish we had another 10 players with half the attitude and commitment of Archie.

I've read some rubbish on here in my time but this takes the biscuit.

Archie didn't want to leave Thistle but like Craigan and a few others, he couldn't work with Gerry Collins. He wasn't on big money at Utd and probably lost money as he would have been in his testimonial year had he stayed.

Archie is the one guy we have that has some genuine care about the club. Every Thistle fan should be willing him to be back captaining the side. I only wish we had another 10 players with half the attitude and commitment of Archie.

If you accept Archie & Craigan are true professionals then they should've been tied up contractwise long before Collins took over. Same could probably be said for Burns (and later Grady under Collins) . I know Lambie's policy was to keep 'em sweating & earn a contract but just daft when you're dealing with guys like Archie & Craigan. Oh, but I forgot we were so financially prudent back then. :(

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I've written some rubbish on here in my time but this takes the biscuit.

Fixed it for you :thumbsup2:

Archie's been with us for so many years that people will have a variety of opinions; mainly positive, I hope. But I wince when I hear of anybody questioning his commitment and attitude towards playing for Thistle. Most of us will remember the midweek SC replay at home to Livi a couple of years ago when Archie stepped up to take the penalty that effectively put us through to face Dunfermline and THAT tie against the dummy runs.

That has got to be one of the most emphatic penalty kicks I've ever seen, and the look of sheer joy and exhilaration on his face as he kept us in the cup, and turned to the JH stand to share that joy with us, will be my enduring memory of Alan Archibald.

As stated above, Alan Archibald: Thistle legend.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

Archie's been with us for so many years that people will have a variety of opinions; mainly positive, I hope. But I wince when I hear of anybody questioning his commitment and attitude towards playing for Thistle. Most of us will remember the midweek SC replay at home to Livi a couple of years ago when Archie stepped up to take the penalty that effectively put us through to face Dunfermline and THAT tie against the dummy runs.

That has got to be one of the most emphatic penalty kicks I've ever seen, and the look of sheer joy and exhilaration on his face as he kept us in the cup, and turned to the JH stand to share that joy with us, will be my enduring memory of Alan Archibald.

A *******-men!!!!!

Edited by mod2
Swearing

Well said, and I vidily remember thinkin 'we're awrite, big Archie is stepping up' had my hands in the air in jubilation long before the ball hit the net. Never once has he come across as egotistic and had a well deserved testimonial.

If you accept Archie & Craigan are true professionals then they should've been tied up contractwise long before Collins took over. Same could probably be said for Burns (and later Grady under Collins) . I know Lambie's policy was to keep 'em sweating & earn a contract but just daft when you're dealing with guys like Archie & Craigan. Oh, but I forgot we were so financially prudent back then. :(

That was when Lambie's signing policy really backfired on us. We lost Archie, Craigan, Burns and Paterson before a ball was kicked. Add in the fact that we were getting a terrible manager, it really wasn't a surprise that we finished bottom.

Fixed it for you :thumbsup2:

So you agree with the previous poster who was slagging Archibald and think I'm talking rubbish?