Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Duke Gekantawa

Free buses

Recommended Posts

On 7/31/2022 at 8:21 PM, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Previously, the Glasgow (Corporation) buses operated to provide decent services on all routes. It was a civic duty.  Some were very popular and made a lot of money, others didn’t, but it was seen that that all should be run, properly supported, to cater for people wherever they lived.

Honestly, that wasn't my experience at all.  And for a period I found the services improve under deregulation. 

Getting the balance right is the issue since Local Authorities with a monopoly can be more concerned with maintaining the systems than innovating and putting the customer first.  And obviously, private companies with only profit as the criteria (if that's how the services are licensed) will not be interested in non-profitable areas or services. 

On 7/31/2022 at 8:21 PM, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Today, many are campaigning for councils to run their own services again. I think (Mayor)  Andy Burnham has achieved that in Greater Manchester. But, generally bus ‘regulation’ needs to be brought back (in authorities which want it) and we also need a proper integrated-transport policy for the whole of the UK, covering all transport. And, doing that is just one of the things necessary and vital,  in the battle versus man-made climate change.

100% agree.  Depressingly there's nobody, it seems to me, who is working to fix this.  I see it working somewhat in places like Edinburgh and London, but we seem incapable or unwilling to do that here, never mind taking a national approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mr Scruff said:

Honestly, that wasn't my experience at all.  And for a period I found the services improve under deregulation. 

Getting the balance right is the issue since Local Authorities with a monopoly can be more concerned with maintaining the systems than innovating and putting the customer first.  And obviously, private companies with only profit as the criteria (if that's how the services are licensed) will not be interested in non-profitable areas or services. 

100% agree.  Depressingly there's nobody, it seems to me, who is working to fix this.  I see it working somewhat in places like Edinburgh and London, but we seem incapable or unwilling to do that here, never mind taking a national approach.

Don't disagree on the principle but one reason why it works in Edinburgh is -  unlike Glasgow - you don't have a motorway through the centre of the city allowing drivers free/easy access plus Glasgow has the largest suburban rail network in the UK outside of London. So Edinburgh buses doesn't have that "competition"..  Plus I don't think Edinburgh suffered to the same extent as Glasgow in terms of population clearance to the city boundaries (Castlemilk, Easterhouse etc) which meant less population density and drove up Glasgow Corp transport costs for the same/fewer passengers.  Glasgow also has one of the lowest city centre residential populations in Europe although the council is addressing that through the ongoing approval of new flats.

In a post-covid environment I think we will see fewer bus/train passengers in the tradition peak-hours which will have a significant impact on revenue....  I believe all bus co's in the UK are still on government hand-outs right now. So any move back into public ownership will come at  greater cost than the world we knew pre 2020. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone had any luck with this today?

 

Tried entering the code in checkout at the app for and Adult All Day at all of Glasgow City, Glasgow Local and Glasgow network and get a message saying there is no promotion with that code 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derby Jag said:

Anyone had any luck with this today?

 

Tried entering the code in checkout at the app for and Adult All Day at all of Glasgow City, Glasgow Local and Glasgow network and get a message saying there is no promotion with that code 

Does it need to be in capitals?

Or maybe it doesn’t start till say 12 (email doesn’t say).

I see a few folk on Facebook saying they have same issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Club have put this out on twitter and e-mails are being sent as well.

Unfortunately there has been an error in the code sent to season ticket holders for free travel today using the First Bus app. The code sent previously had the letter “T” immediately before the letters “FC” This letter T should be removed. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Against my better judgement I have bought a season ticket this morning. Wanted to ask a question about my purchase and the bus offer and the office doesn't open til 12pm!

Classic Thistle. Plug season ticket sales then don't open the office til 12pm on home match day 1.

 

 

Edited by The Legend Blows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Legend Blows said:

Against my better judgement I have bought a season ticket this morning. Wanted to ask a question about my purchase and the bus offer and the office doesn't open til 12pm!

Classic Thistle. Plug season ticket sales then don't open the office til 12pm on home match day 1.

 

 

Office was open at 11am. I went in and was dealt with promptly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you buy a Bundesliga ticket, local transport is included in the ticket for some hours before and after the match. It makes sense, but what is surprising is that anyone here would see that and try it out: it doesn't work like that in Broken Britain, surely! :surprised:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

If you buy a Bundesliga ticket, local transport is included in the ticket for some hours before and after the match. It makes sense, but what is surprising is that anyone here would see that and try it out: it doesn't work like that in Broken Britain, surely! :surprised:

Must admit, the more I hear and read about ferries, train strikes and cancellations, price increases in travel tickets, getting no replies when you call up a utilities company, or getting left listening to a tape, repair men who are basically cowboys who don't know how to repair, waiting weeks to get a doctor's appointment and then months or even longer to get adequate treatment, rubbish bins getting left unemptied, when I remember all the chewing gum plastered over the streets, unemptied and overflowing rubbish bins, getting accosted too frequently by beggars as well as some people just out for trouble..... kind of glad I no longer live there. 

Miss the Jags, though.

Hope this live stream lark works this evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×