Parking at Stenny

crazy davie

As far as I know private parking charges are a bit of a bust, legally. They usually write to you having got your details from the DVLA but they don’t know who was actually driving the car at the time, so they rely on you contacting them to confirm who’s to take the fine. If you don’t confirm that, there’s nothing they can do.

Not sure if that applies to your case and I’m happy to stand corrected, but in my experience they can be ignored, including from big commercial car parks, unless they already have a name. (On-street parking is a different kettle of fish though.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

Had a few of these so called  parking fines over the years and never paid one even after being threatened with court action .................

In my case the court action threats came from a law firm which coincidentally had the same address as the parking company. I ignored them all

• Thanks 1

For clarity, such charges are enforceable. It is not possible to impose a fine in this way, but the display of the parking charges on the land, coupled with your choosing to park there, has the effect of creating an informal contract. The charge is effectively what the landowner agrees to charge if you park there.

However, the sums involved often mean that it's usually not worth the landowner (or the private parking company) going to court to sue for payment. It doesn't mean that they can't though.  Think of it like parkingin an NCP car park, but not paying the parking charge.  Exactly the same, except there's no entry barrier to stop you from escaping without paying.

• Thanks 1