Reality Check

PaleGreySky

Today was a great day out and I really enjoyed it. We got through as a team and we really needed the result, and I'm not being ungrateful but...

We were quite lucky, despite dominating the game. It's the same problem as we've had for ages - a leaky defence that other sides don't need to do much to break down. Another day we could have gone out, despite having outplayed Stirling. I just think we shouldn't be too pleased with the defensive perfomance today. Stirling had 4 or 5 one on ones and Scott Fox was relied on too much.

-Stirling had to do very little to equalise as there was a gaping hole in the defence where Smith ran through - where was Archie!?

-Then, straight away they got through again by simply running round Archie.

-The last kick of the game was a one on one because the player was goalside of Archie despite still being onside.

-There were a couple of other break aways at the other end in the first half.

We really could do with shoring up these sort of mistakes, because that's what lost us games like Cowdenbeath and Stirling away but we still make the same mistakes. Sorry to highlight this cos it's great we got through, and most of the team did really well. I think the central defence was not fantastic today, especially Archie, and we'd normally concede more than one from the chances they had.

Did people see things this way? Maybe it was because I was behind the goals...

Today was a great day out and I really enjoyed it. We got through as a team and we really needed the result, and I'm not being ungrateful but...

We were quite lucky, despite dominating the game. It's the same problem as we've had for ages - a leaky defence that other sides don't need to do much to break down. Another day we could have gone out, despite having outplayed Stirling. I just think we shouldn't be too pleased with the defensive perfomance today. Stirling had 4 or 5 one on ones and Scott Fox was relied on too much.

-Stirling had to do very little to equalise as there was a gaping hole in the defence where Smith ran through - where was Archie!?

-The last kick of the game was a one on one because the player was goalside of Archie despite still being onside.

We really could do with shoring up these sort of mistakes, because that's what lost us games like Cowdenbeath and Stirling away but we still make the same mistakes. Sorry to highlight this cos it's great we got through, and most of the team did really well. I think the central defence was not fantastic today, especially Archie, and we'd normally concede more than one from the chances they had.

Hear, hear.

Aaaaaaand the behind the goals boo boys make themselves known. Nice one.

What's wrong? Did Archie steal your pocket money? FFS it's not even 24 hours after the game and we're getting this sort of post. Beggars belief.

We're not Real Madrid ffs. Do you go on radio phone-ins posing as an old firm fan just to whinge after a victory?

Edited by hamiltonjag

What's wrong? Did Archie steal your pocket money? FFS it's not even 24 hours after the game and we're getting this sort of post. Beggars belief.

We're not Real Madrid ffs. Do you go on radio phone-ins posing as an old firm fan just to whinge after a victory?

:thumbsup2:

ENJOY THE WIN, who the hell knows what the score will be next week :rolleyes:

I really don't know why people cant understand that our team is what has been patched together to survive the next few seasons.

young players on virtually nothing, past it players doing there coaching awards whilst playing and a few decent players mixed in so what do you all expect????

Edited by jaggybunnet

Super fan.

What immediately struck me about Albion's goal was that it was a fast break forward and a beautiful long and low pass through for the guy to run onto (in free space, so yes, a question over the central defenders) and slot home. By contrast our attacks continue to consist of holding back, allowing the entire opposition team to get into defensive positions. We're always going to struggle to score with these tactics. Yesterday's 3-goal performance was one of those occasions where we (for once) got a couple of breaks (literally for the 2nd and 3rd), but that won't happen regularly.

Still thought that the team played well yesterday, although Fox was the busier keeper.

What immediately struck me about Albion's goal was that it was a fast break forward and a beautiful long and low pass through for the guy to run onto (in free space, so yes, a question over the central defenders) and slot home. By contrast our attacks continue to consist of holding back, allowing the entire opposition team to get into defensive positions. We're always going to struggle to score with these tactics. Yesterday's 3-goal performance was one of those occasions where we (for once) got a couple of breaks (literally for the 2nd and 3rd), but that won't happen regularly.

Still thought that the team played well yesterday, although Fox was the busier keeper.

The video of the game may prove me wrong but I thought our centre backs were stretched because Paton sold himself with a wild tackle that missed completely and left us one short at the back. But they still may have been at fault too, I'll be looking to see later.

The video of the game may prove me wrong but I thought our centre backs were stretched because Paton sold himself with a wild tackle that missed completely and left us one short at the back. But they still may have been at fault too, I'll be looking to see later.

That was my view as well. Paton's missed tackle was quite far out but it seemed to wrong foot the rest of the defence. But as you say a video might prove it was more of a collective error. It should be said Paton's judgement with tackles is usually very good.

We're losing a lot of this type of goal this season and although he was never the greatest Jags player, I thought Simon Storey when he played sweeper saved us so many times in these type of scenarios.

Jackie McNamara has been playing in that role. As Albert's Ghost said, playing a sweeper leaves you a man short in midfield. We need a holding midfielder in front of the defence with good passing and tackling ability. I thought that Hodge was going to have that role.

Bit early for a reality check,we're still enjoying a jammy rub of the green propelling us into the next round of the cup, come back on Thursday.

Did the Jags not have a few chances themselves ? The highlights certainly show we did. Hey, we were away from home against a side who hit 4 past us last time we were there......of course they were going to have chances. You have to ride your luck a bit to get a victory. From what i saw on the highlights the shot that hit the post was always moving away from goal.

May be it's just how most feel at the moment but I've read so much negative stuff bout yesterday. If it ain't bout lack of singing from certain sections, it's focusing on the chances Stirling had, or the Huddle.......Tell you, thank feck the lads won yesterday. Doesn't bare thinking about how this forum would have gone had they lost !

As for Archie, remember he's missed so much time through injury. If he didn't look after himself the way he does, he'd be nowhere near the side just now.

Appreciate you ain't getting tore into the lads but there seems to have been a lot more to the game than 4 or 5 stirling chances.