Jags Tartan Scarves

beep0608

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gie us wan, in the last callendar year I lost 3 Jags scarves leaving me with some utterly rubbish one that would be too small for a young child let alone me.

I hinted to Santa to get me one from Greave for my xmas but the swine never bothered.

The scarves at Greaves are pretty poor in my opinion. Get a new one from the scarf stall at the bottom of the south Drive. They've got all the old classic designs.

How can you lose 3 scarves in one season ? I lost one a few years back and it hurt like hell, can't imagine losing 3 in a year !

Pubs, trains, "gonnae take this home for us pal cause I'm going to a club later", etc.

I had the same scarf from the age of 0 to 25 but lost it a couple of seasons ago, was absolutely gutted, think it was after a heavy session up in the highlands. Since then I've not really given a toss what happens to the crap new ones.

Pubs, trains, "gonnae take this home for us pal cause I'm going to a club later", etc.

I had the same scarf from the age of 0 to 25 but lost it a couple of seasons ago, was absolutely gutted, think it was after a heavy session up in the highlands. Since then I've not really given a toss what happens to the crap new ones.

What one was it?

this happened to me also..was a junior jags one from 1987..i did actually phone the policeto see if some nice person might have handed it in..unfortunately not :( the world is full of uncaring old firm bassa's :mad2:

If the club saw this level of interest and was smart, they'd simply buy several big rolls of the tartan then engage with a couple of local's to cut and sew the scarves for next to nothing. Result?: Profit for the club, not for the manufacturer who will cream it all off.

I'd happily suggest that to them. I'd like any profit to go to the club anyway, and I wouldn't mind a wee Jags label on it if poss. If they weren't interested then we could do it ourselves, and know we gave them the chance. This is assuming that Geoffrey, or even Scotweb or another place will do a run, but I don't see why they wouldn't. It's still good business.

By ra way, I counted back and that's up to 28 scarves so far. I wouldn't pay silly money, but you can see how that could multiply out up to something quite worthwhile, for the club or whoever manufactures them. This would be a bit of a luxury item compared to a normal scarf, so I'd expect it to be £20 or more, but that's just a wild guess. I've paid a lot more than that for items in the Jags shop or Greaves before.

Edited by beep0608

I'd happily suggest that to them. I'd like any profit to go to the club anyway, and I wouldn't mind a wee Jags label on it if poss. If they weren't interested then we could do it ourselves, and know we gave them the chance. This is assuming that Geoffrey, or even Scotweb or another place will do a run, but I don't see why they wouldn't. It's still good business.

By ra way, I counted back and that's up to 28 scarves so far. I wouldn't pay silly money, but you can see how that could multiply out up to something quite worthwhile, for the club or whoever manufactures them. This would be a bit of a luxury item compared to a normal scarf, so I'd expect it to be £20 or more, but that's just a wild guess. I've paid a lot more than that for items in the Jags shop or Greaves before.

I'd say hang back for now, until the 19th and bring this to the attention of David Beattie and other directors at the open meeting.

Hopefully they take it on board and all money goes to the Club. Every little bit helps I guess when we're faced with a £50,000 cash gap just now.

With around 30 buyers (currently) I'd be pretty confident numbers would swell through word of mouth and the Club (if they take it on board) giving it good PR.

I'd say hang back for now, until the 19th and bring this to the attention of David Beattie and other directors at the open meeting.

Hopefully they take it on board and all money goes to the Club. Every little bit helps I guess when we're faced with a £50,000 cash gap just now.

With around 30 buyers (currently) I'd be pretty confident numbers would swell through word of mouth and the Club (if they take it on board) giving it good PR.

I dont think this is something the directors will take onboard - After all even if it was a £10 profit on the scarf - 30 scarfs profit is £300

It would best being done by the original poster or maybe who knows the Jags Trust might surprise us and take it on

I dont think this is something the directors will take onboard - After all even if it was a £10 profit on the scarf - 30 scarfs profit is £300

It would best being done by the original poster or maybe who knows the Jags Trust might surprise us and take it on

Based on what? £300 is better than £0, and that's only £300 currently.

May aswell put this idea or any other similar fundraising ideas to those in charge at the meeting. For too long folk with genuinly good ideas have never really had the chance to put their ideas forward to the BoD face to face.

If they are unable to take it on board then the original poster can take it on himself.

The sooner we get over this cash gap the better.

I'm still asking about this, to see what the different organisations say. I got a response from Geoffrey but they were talking about a minimum order of 80, though at only £10 each. There were conditions though, they mentioned permissions and possible royalties which was strange as I thought they'd know about these things already. That's quite different to what they said last year so I wonder of they're just making it up as they go. A bit of negotiation could be worthwhile.

I've also contacted Scotweb for bulk order prices, and Greaves. Scotweb apparently do Thistle scarves but they only advertise them as individual scarves at about £85 each. Let's see what they say and what it amounts to.

I believe that Thistle would be unable to do anything themselves as Greaves hold the merch contract, but they would welcome a donation from any profits.

Leave this with me and we'll see what we can come up with. I have some other ideas too, along these lines. Other ways we could generate funds for our common cause, and have some fun along the way. Dundee fans are doing it for obvious reasons, but why can't we do something similar? We are supporters after all.

Just vague ideas off the top of my big head, but there's no harm in that.

If they were good quality woolen tartan scarves, you'd easily sell 80. I remember paying £20 for mine a good few years ago and still to this day I wonder where it is.

Yes. I'd hope so. No word back from Scotweb or Greaves yet but I'll give them time. It's a week until the meeting, but I have been led to believe the club would be unable to allow the club logo on it as Greaves do all that. Alternatives would include Greaves, or else we could produce our own, potentially, as a "supporters club" possibly? Geoffrey said we may need to consider royalties etc.

I'll do my best here, and will not just drop it as there is clearly interest. Even if this sparked the interest of Greaves I'd be happy, as long as I get my scarf. Otherwise, I'd be happy to try independently. Let's see.

Thanks for the support and interest. Maybe I'll get my Thistle tartan scarf back yet.

Yes. I'd hope so. No word back from Scotweb or Greaves yet but I'll give them time. It's a week until the meeting, but I have been led to believe the club would be unable to allow the club logo on it as Greaves do all that. Alternatives would include Greaves, or else we could produce our own, potentially, as a "supporters club" possibly? Geoffrey said we may need to consider royalties etc.

I'll do my best here, and will not just drop it as there is clearly interest. Even if this sparked the interest of Greaves I'd be happy, as long as I get my scarf. Otherwise, I'd be happy to try independently. Let's see.

Thanks for the support and interest. Maybe I'll get my Thistle tartan scarf back yet.

And don't forget that only a minority of fans consult this forum. If the tartan scarves make a comeback then I'm sure that many more will sell than it looks like here.

For me personally i'd prefer a Thistle tartan scarf not to have the club crest on it. The tartan says it all.

With the interest that has been shown on here alone it should be enough for Greaves to get stuck right into this and provide something that the punters want rather than some of the tat that has been churned out in the scarf stakes recently.