Looks like we are not alone with dwindling attendances

Aberdeen v East Fife 6918

Hamilton v Alloa 1054

St Mirren v Peterhead 2312

Dundee U v Ross Co. 4041

Hibs v Ayr 6056

Montrose v Dunfermline 1030

Inverness v Elgin 2808

Some worrying low attendances there for a number of clubs. Whatever happened to the romance of the cup ?

Looks like we are not alone with dwindling attendances

Aberdeen v East Fife 6918

Hamilton v Alloa 1054

St Mirren v Peterhead 2312

Dundee U v Ross Co. 4041

Hibs v Ayr 6056

Montrose v Dunfermline 1030

Inverness v Elgin 2808

Some worrying low attendances there for a number of clubs. Whatever happened to the romance of the cup ?

they attendances are criminal! i know ours wouldn't have been much past the 3000 mark but the dundee utd, inverness and aberdeen games are shockingly low considering they're doing not bad in the league. good to see bannigan playing the full 90 at easter road as far as im aware.

Clubs indicate that the cup isn't that big a deal by discluding the games from the season tickets. People don't enjoy football in Scotland as much as they used to, so, when a game comes round that you have to pay for, people opt out and go and see 127 hours instead. The average Scottish football fan goes out of a sense of obligation, rather than enjoyment or anticipation. Because of this, when there is an off-putting factor like weather, or the no season ticket factor of the cup, people often choose to opt out. Football really is dying in Scotland. The apathy people feel at Firhill is rife across the country.

Clubs indicate that the cup isn't that big a deal by discluding the games from the season tickets. People don't enjoy football in Scotland as much as they used to, so, when a game comes round that you have to pay for, people opt out and go and see 127 hours instead. The average Scottish football fan goes out of a sense of obligation, rather than enjoyment or anticipation. Because of this, when there is an off-putting factor like weather, or the no season ticket factor of the cup, people often choose to opt out. Football really is dying in Scotland. The apathy people feel at Firhill is rife across the country.

On the BBC Scotland phone-in (I think) they said that Hamilton reduced prices to £10 Adults, £5 concessions, and £1 kids. Even then they barely got a thousand. Apparently Alloa brought about 180 fans.

Edited by beep0608

they attendances are criminal! i know ours wouldn't have been much past the 3000 mark but the dundee utd, inverness and aberdeen games are shockingly low considering they're doing not bad in the league. good to see bannigan playing the full 90 at easter road as far as im aware.

BBC website report seems to sggest he did. Named in the team and not mentioned as being subbed. McCall seems to think experience like this will make him ready for our first team when he comes back.

Official attendance online at 13,215!

Now try and convince us that we should be trying to reorganise our leagues to satisfy the TV companies. There's no way the attendance would have been that low if it was 3pm on Saturday or Sunday. I hope this is a wake up call, cup or not.

Add in the fact that it means Rangers & Killie could meet 5 times this season and you can see why it didn't attract the punters. Yet the SPL want to persist with a set up that sees sides playing each other 4 times a season.

It's not about "sides" playing each other 4 times a season, it's about the Old Filth playing each other 4 times a season. The "sides" can get tae fck for all anyone cares.

If it was a Monday night in April/may there would be more there tonight. All those in favour of summer football?

I'm not necessarily against summer football but I don't quite go along with above. True a miserable Monday night in January will affect attendance but the overriding reasons for such a pitiful turnout is firstly due to the game being televised and secondly because of the repetitive nature of the fixture.

It's not about "sides" playing each other 4 times a season, it's about the Old Filth playing each other 4 times a season. The "sides" can get tae fck for all anyone cares.

i don't see how we can't get expansion of the SPL to 18 clubs with 2 games against each club - it would leave saturday's free for cup ties an aw

... plus the OF can play with each other on a home&away OF cup (therefore giving the tv companies 4 games of filth)