Fox And Erskine Get New Deals

Ozieptfc

The BBC website does it all the time. The news stories on the official site are, in effect, press releases. It's standard practice these days, by both clubs and media. Get over it and stop whinging!

What exactly am I to get over?

All I did was highlight something that Tom had said the paper had done frequently recently.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The BBC website does it all the time. The news stories on the official site are, in effect, press releases. It's standard practice these days, by both clubs and media. Get over it and stop whinging!

BBC Online generally credit the source of quotes. All it takes is a “speaking to the Club’s website”. Were The Glaswegian to do that then I wouldn’t have any real problem.

There is also a subtle difference also in what the BBC, and other media sources do, and what The Glaswegian is doing. The former are essentially just disseminating news from elsewhere. The Glaswegian is creating a news story of their own relying on quotes and information provided by someone else.

It’s not really Grant that is moaning here (it had to happen once – sorry) but me. The stuff provided on the Club website isn’t prepared as a press release but as a genuine desire to try and make the Club’s website the primary source for Thistle information. I don’t want to get too deep into how successful that has been, and there is certainly plenty of room for improvement. However, the fact that people say “I’ll wait to it is on the OS before believing it” and not in a sarcastic tone (I hope) as was perhaps the case previously at least suggests a partial success. It’s frustrating then after actually having gone to trouble of sourcing quotes and information to see someone else use it and pass it off as their own work.

Finally, to repeat what I posted yesterday. The greater exposure the Club gets the better. As long as The Glaswegian, or any other paper, acknowledge where they got their quotes from then I’m happy for anything to be lifted from the Club’s website.

PS C'mon The Jags.

Edited by Tom Hosie

BBC Online generally credit the source of quotes. All it takes is a “speaking to the Club’s website”. Were The Glaswegian to do that then I wouldn’t have any real problem.

There is also a subtle difference also in what the BBC, and other media sources do, and what The Glaswegian is doing. The former are essentially just disseminating news from elsewhere. The Glaswegian is creating a news story of their own relying on quotes and information provided by someone else.

It’s not really Grant that is moaning here (it had to happen once – sorry) but me. The stuff provided on the Club website isn’t prepared as a press release but as a genuine desire to try and make the Club’s website the primary source for Thistle information. I don’t want to get too deep into how successful that has been, and there is certainly plenty of room for improvement. However, the fact that people say “I’ll wait to it is on the OS before believing it” and not in a sarcastic tone (I hope) as was perhaps the case previously at least suggests a partial success. It’s frustrating then after actually having gone to trouble of sourcing quotes and information to see someone else use it and pass it off as their own work.

Finally, to repeat what I posted yesterday. The greater exposure the Club gets the better. As long as The Glaswegian, or any other paper, acknowledge where they got their quotes from then I’m happy for anything to be lifted from the Club’s website.

PS C'mon The Jags.

It's quite a big deal in the writing world to give acreditation to your sources so why are journo's allowed to print something as their own (when it's clearly a C&P job) without action being taken? This guy in the glaswegian even describes McCall's mood as "jocular", how the feck would he know if he wasnt there...so was McCall jokin, or was he deadly serious? Id bet on the latter with a bit of mischief mixed in :D

PS C'mon The Jags.

I'm surprised at this given the fact the The Glaswegian has regular video interviews with our players, so I assumed there was a good working relationship between them & the Club. Hope this can be sorted out amicably as they seem to be supportive of PTFC

PS C'mon The Jags.

Tom

I understand your views totally. However, IIRC from several stories, the BBC website often takes quotes from the official site without acknowledging the source. In practice, the media sees news stories on club websites as the equivalent as press releases. If PTFC has a different approach, you should make it clear to the media that they should approach you, the club or the manager directly for quotes.

Keep up the great work.

Best wishes for 2011

kni

Excellent news that the big man is apparently coming on well at Firhill, do you want to hurry up and sell him though as Ladeside will be on at least 10% of any sell on deal.

I certainly hope that he flourishes with Thistle for the next couple of seasons before he moves on; by the sounds of things he continues to delight and frustrate at the same time; I sure he will get there in the end however.

If he keeps getting his cahnces he will come good in the end, of that i am certain.

Mon the Side (and the Jags!)

Im sure Chrisy boy will do fine mucker. What's the standard of the mad ayrshire juniors like these days?

Spot on, Tom. Putting in hours of work for the club then seeing someone come along and pass your work off as their own must be a pain in the arse. There's a complete lack of professional courtesy involved.

However, Kni makes a sound point about club communications. If the articles you write for the club are not press releases then what are they? If your articles were faxed to the Glaswegian instead of posted on the club website and the club wasn't credited would that leave you with the same bad taste?

I looked around the website (which needs a wee lick of paint) and found this:-

The website and its design, text, graphics, the selection and arrangement thereof and software are copyright of the Club or its partners. The trade marks depicted on this website are the property of the Club or its licensors and they retain all rights in such trade marks.

All rights are reserved except that permission is granted to download the materials contained on this website to a single personal computer and to print a hard copy of such materials solely for personal, non-commercial use. Any other use of materials on this website, including reproduction, modification, distribution or republication, without the prior written permission of the Club, is strictly prohibited.

The second paragraph is of particular interest. :unsure:

where is everbody? At least the few logged on here , is there another link to a social network that we few , we so very few dont know about , whats the score ? is there a game thread ?

Deep in the heart of Texas calling civilisation !! COME IN CIVILISATION!!!

One nil Thistle mate.

Chris Erskine.

There's live txt updates on the Offical Site.

Just in the door. Three points off a team at the top of the league; cup game next week; leaving a game with daylight to spare - you cannae whack it.

Chris Erskine appears to be unplayable at times. The only time he trips up is when he stops to think - and you know that happens when he loses the ball.

Scott Fox is some find. Dundee's loss is certainly Thistle's gain. High time this kind of fortune came our way.

What stuck out today was that when the Pars started hitting the defence with long balls in the second half and pushed our more :unsure: mature :blush: defence hard, it didn't crack.

I'm miserable. I've nothing to moan about. ;)

• Members

What stuck out today was that when the Pars started hitting the defence with long balls in the second half and pushed our more :unsure: mature :blush: defence hard, it didn't crack.

Said to my Brother near the end, that seemed to be Dunfies only tactic and it played right into Archie's hands (head!). I thought he was outstanding today, won everything in the air and mopped up any other danger when his fellow defenders got caught out (terrific last ditch clearance in the second half for instance!)

It's been a good day.

Edited by Willjag

where is everbody? At least the few logged on here , is there another link to a social network that we few , we so very few dont know about , whats the score ? is there a game thread ?

Deep in the heart of Texas calling civilisation !! COME IN CIVILISATION!!!

Cos we're all at the game AND TOO ENGROSSED TO WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE.