Fox And Erskine Get New Deals

Ozieptfc

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see we now have 6 players signed for next year at least: 2 forwards, 2 midfielders + Erskine who can play either. Fox being signed up was vital but we need to get a back-four and a couple of midfielders signed up, even if we're planning to offer the likes of Campbell, MacBeth and Lochead contracts for next season.

So far:

Fox 2113

Bannigan 2113

Cairney 2112

Erskine 2113

Doolan 2113

Grehan 2112

I wouldn't expect at their time of life that Archibald and Robertson will be difficult to deal with and MacNamara will probably stay another year as player-coach before moving on. But Kinniburgh might get a better offer and another not-so-old centre back plus full backs are required.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I see we now have 6 players signed for next year at least: 2 forwards, 2 midfielders + Erskine who can play either. Fox being signed up was vital but we need to get a back-four and a couple of midfielders signed up, even if we're planning to offer the likes of Campbell, MacBeth and Lochead contracts for next season.

So far:

Fox 2113

Bannigan 2113

Cairney 2112

Erskine 2113

Doolan 2113

Grehan 2112

I wouldn't expect at their time of life that Archibald and Robertson will be difficult to deal with and MacNamara will probably stay another year as player-coach before moving on. But Kinniburgh might get a better offer and another not-so-old centre back plus full backs are required.

Though I would never even have considered it a year ago might it not be a priority to get defenders like Paton, Boyle and possibly Kinniburgh signed up before those 2?

So far:

Fox 2113

Bannigan 2113

Cairney 2112

Erskine 2113

Doolan 2113

Grehan 2112

Of our player-coaches, only McNamara has featured regularly and there could be changes for next season. Archie appears to be a future manager so he may want to make the move into coaching, especially as he has been picking up injuries over the last couple of seasons. Robertson will be less able to take a wage cut and may look elewhere.

New contracts to be offered first to Paton, Boyle and Kinniburgh first. We need to secure the future rather than take risks on unproven or unknown players. I hope that we can afford to keep Rowson. Hodge and Flannigan will be under pressure to show that they deserve new deals.

Our promising young players get their chance - Scully, McGeough, Campbell, Bannigan, Fraser and Burns should be challenging for regular places in the starting line-up.

Fox is an excellent keeper and has really improved the confidence at the back.

Erskine signing is brilliant as well, I don't know what more people want from him and I dont understand how people doubt him. How many other players in this league are as entertaining as him? He isn't afraid to take on a man, do a bit of skill and he is very direct. So his final ball hasn't always been the best, but is getting better and better, but at the end of the day if he had pace, could beat a man, had bags of tricks in his locker and could deliver killer crosses and shots on goal he wouldn't be anywhere near a team like us.

Football should be entertaining, The Bridge entertains, people need to get off his back when he doesn't get past his man or whatever, would you rather he just passed the ball backwards like certain other players in our team?

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Completely agree with all of this. Master Erskine would do well to remember that he's only just recently been given a run of starts, albeit he's done reasonably well when the opportunity's presented itself. Hopes of interest from the SPL reminds me a wee bit of the stage Paul Paton was at a year or so ago before he finally got his finger oot his botty and realised that, career wise, we were the only show in town. All that said, if we DID get an offer for CE from above, we'd be well advised to take it IMO; he's well replaceable.

Replaceable yes, but unlikely to be with someone who has the raw talent/skill & entertainment skills of Erksine. Just another player, no different to the rest. Chris is different.

As it's been said, the next targets for new contracts should be: Rowson, Boyle, Paton, Kinniburgh, Hodge (In that order). I'm not against Archie/Robbo/Flannigan staying either, the 1st 2 definitely have another year in them & may well be needed if we went for a more inexperienced defender beside Kinniburgh.

Out of the youngetsers, I'd like to see Lochhead & McGeough given a deal, maybe give Burns a 6 month deal, as he has missed most of this season, but does have promise. We also know MacBeth has something, so would imagine he would get another year.

erskine has come onto a mini run of form, nothing more than that. giving away possession, cheaply and frequently, is a major flaw in his game. he needs to sort that as a priority if he wants to advance in the game.

So would you prefer he received the ball, controlled it, took a couple of steps back with it and then passed it sideways, passed it backwards or randomly punted it up the park like the rest of the team do more often than not?

Boyle has got into the habit of getting forward and is pretty good at doing so, The Bridge has a right go and takes people on, frankly I love the way we attack down the left and don’t care if the ball is given away or it comes to nothing now and again.

Who is the player most likely to get you off your seat? Who is the player you immediately think ”yas go on son” when he receives it in a bit of space? Chris The Bridge Erskine, that’s who.

And Blackpool Jags, how is The Bridge easily replaceable? The only other entertaining winger I can think of is that Cardle lad at Dunfermline and we aren;t exactly in a position to pry good players away from bigger and better teams are we?

Erskine is clearly a 'unique' kind of player, but I was meaning that he's replaceable in-house; there's at least one of our developing young lads who could compete with Erskine for a place in our best XI.

erskine has come onto a mini run of form, nothing more than that. giving away possession, cheaply and frequently, is a major flaw in his game. he needs to sort that as a priority if he wants to advance in the game.

Hear hear.

Though I would never even have considered it a year ago might it not be a priority to get defenders like Paton, Boyle and possibly Kinniburgh signed up before those 2?

Correct, but as they're both relatively young still and have been good (but not brilliant) for us I'd expect they might be harder to hold on to (not teribly hard, they're good but not that good). I mentioned Archie and Robbo as I don't think we have to worry about them. I'd like to keep both but woudln't worry if we only kept one as they are getting on but I think we need the experience of one of them.

Rowson is getting on a bit too but he's still superbly fit and I wouldn't be surprised if another club comes in for him.

My post was about who we already had signed up then who would likley sign up, not necessary who I'd prefer. I expect 5 or 6 players will leave but hopefully we'll keep a core of this year's team so that new players can slot in without upsetting things too much.

That's why giving some of the youngsters a run out in the next couple of months would be good ... they'll be used to playing for us and not need to settle if we use them next year (and Bannigan seems a cert).

Edited by Mr Bunny

Interesting that today's Glaswegian has an article suggesting Erskine knocked back his contract.

Speaking as an individual, as opposed to a “quasi-official hanger on” I note with interest that of the last ten Thistle stories carried online by The Glaswegian, five of them carried quotes lifted straight from the Club's website. In each of those instances the source of the quotes was uncredited.

In the piece about Scott Fox’s contract extension I particularly enjoyed the fact that Ian McCall “beamed” as The Glaswegian reporter demonstrated their ability to cut and paste.

On a more serious note, the greater the exposure the Club gets the better but IMO there is dubious journalistic merit in taking quotes that someone else has gone to the bother of getting and using them, uncredited, in your own work. It’s hardly unique to The Glaswegian though.

Anyway, Chris Erskine signed his new contract this morning and the three new contracts (Kris, Chris and Scott) were lodged with the SFA this afternoon.

So would you prefer he received the ball, controlled it, took a couple of steps back with it and then passed it sideways, passed it backwards or randomly punted it up the park like the rest of the team do more often than not?

i'd prefer it if he worked on improving his judgement in taking on players when it's the best option. too often he takes on defenders and gets easily dispossessed or paints himself into a corner and boots it randomly when a give and go into space for the return would make for a good move.

he has gone from cult hero heidless chicken to showing real potential in the last few games so hope he continues in that direction of travel.

Will, I watched the reserves on Tuesday and a couple of the young lads are very promising.

Who in particular McKennan? I thought McGeough(2) and MacBeth(8) both were rusty (good players but obvious they needed the 90mins sfter their recent injuries). I've seen Lochhead(7) play better but he's a guy that really gets stuck in. That leaves Fraser(9) and Campbell(3) both of whom imo had excellent games.

Genuinely interested to hear an other's opinion.

i'd prefer it if he worked on improving his judgement in taking on players when it's the best option.

Well he's got 2 and a half seasons to work on it now :lol:

Really good news these deals and combined with the way the team's played in the last few matches, should considerably up the feelgood factor around Firhill. Let's get right behind them on Saturday, get the win over The Pars and it could be a good weekend all round.

Anyway fancy a Cup run AND a promotion charge over the next few months? Just a thought....

However, a word of warning - the last player described as doing amazing things in training was.....

Slippers!

Sorry, Chris! :lol:

Speaking as an individual, as opposed to a “quasi-official hanger on” I note with interest that of the last ten Thistle stories carried online by The Glaswegian, five of them carried quotes lifted straight from the Club's website. In each of those instances the source of the quotes was uncredited.

In the piece about Scott Fox’s contract extension I particularly enjoyed the fact that Ian McCall “beamed” as The Glaswegian reporter demonstrated their ability to cut and paste.

On a more serious note, the greater the exposure the Club gets the better but IMO there is dubious journalistic merit in taking quotes that someone else has gone to the bother of getting and using them, uncredited, in your own work. It’s hardly unique to The Glaswegian though.

Anyway, Chris Erskine signed his new contract this morning and the three new contracts (Kris, Chris and Scott) were lodged with the SFA this afternoon.

You'd get kicked out of uni for it!

Fox is an excellent keeper and has really improved the confidence at the back.

Erskine signing is brilliant as well, I don't know what more people want from him and I dont understand how people doubt him. How many other players in this league are as entertaining as him? He isn't afraid to take on a man, do a bit of skill and he is very direct. So his final ball hasn't always been the best, but is getting better and better, but at the end of the day if he had pace, could beat a man, had bags of tricks in his locker and could deliver killer crosses and shots on goal he wouldn't be anywhere near a team like us.

Football should be entertaining, The Bridge entertains, people need to get off his back when he doesn't get past his man or whatever, would you rather he just passed the ball backwards like certain other players in our team?

This.

Great news - and agree with Willjag about Boyle and Paton next please!

Excellent news that the big man is apparently coming on well at Firhill, do you want to hurry up and sell him though as Ladeside will be on at least 10% of any sell on deal.

I certainly hope that he flourishes with Thistle for the next couple of seasons before he moves on; by the sounds of things he continues to delight and frustrate at the same time; I sure he will get there in the end however.

If he keeps getting his cahnces he will come good in the end, of that i am certain.

Mon the Side (and the Jags!)

Looks like they are at it again today with their match preview quotes being directly lifted from ptfc.co.uk

The Glaswegian

Excellent news that the big man is apparently coming on well at Firhill, do you want to hurry up and sell him though as Ladeside will be on at least 10% of any sell on deal.

I certainly hope that he flourishes with Thistle for the next couple of seasons before he moves on; by the sounds of things he continues to delight and frustrate at the same time; I sure he will get there in the end however.

If he keeps getting his cahnces he will come good in the end, of that i am certain.

Mon the Side (and the Jags!)

He has a £50m buy out clause in his new contract.

Looks like they are at it again today with their match preview quotes being directly lifted from ptfc.co.uk

The Glaswegian

The BBC website does it all the time. The news stories on the official site are, in effect, press releases. It's standard practice these days, by both clubs and media. Get over it and stop whinging!