Today's Game

Firhillista

Six wins in 21 league games.

F*ckin' grim.

Considering they just had a new Manager in and played quite well against Dunfermline during the week I thought we would lose so a draw is not the worst. Chances are this time last season we would have lost 1 nil.

We do however need another striker in, perhaps the board should have pushed the boat on and got in Hardie.

I wonder if we are still being linked with McHugh.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what we hear every time. We need to start having a winning mentality throughout the club - directors, manager, players and fans.

((Though I agree, a draw wasn't a bad result!))

We find it hard to win, though in 2011 aside from controversial penalties we are also quite hard to beat if that makes any sense.

Though to correct the hard to win goes back to my point about needing another striker in but due to finance cant see this happening sadly.

Six wins in 21 league games.

F*ckin' grim.

I wasn't there today but I can't see how you or anyone can draw a negative out of today's result. That said I suppose I can't eulogise too much on many positives. The main thing tho' is tonight we're one step closer to mid tableness.

I think any team managing little over a point a game is going to be reasonably content with a draw away from home. Any team with only six wins in twenty games surely can't be too upset with a 21st game where they take a point away from home?

As for getting irrationally disappointed with a result I'll mark myself down for next saturday against Dundee. Probably a draw would on form look a decent result but I'll be anything but happy with anything short of 3 points.

I wasn't there today but I can't see how you or anyone can draw a negative out of today's result. That said I suppose I can't eulogise too much on many positives. The main thing tho' is tonight we're one step closer to mid tableness.

I think any team managing little over a point a game is going to be reasonably content with a draw away from home. Any team with only six wins in twenty games surely can't be too upset with a 21st game where they take a point away from home?

As for getting irrationally disappointed with a result I'll mark myself down for next saturday against Dundee. Probably a draw would on form look a decent result but I'll be anything but happy with anything short of 3 points.

I think you're making precisely my point: this result is just as disappointing as the rest of the season. Let's imagine that we lose our next three games, and then pick up another draw away from home. Should that then be considered as a satisfactory point, because the team is basically poor? I don't think so. At the moment I wouldn't be surprised if we just scrape our way above the relegation play-off, and I wouldn't even be surprised if we end up in it.

And the main reason for that is our inept attacking abilities. The defense seems on the whole pretty good, but the midfield creates very little, and what passes as our strikers are frankly not looking up to the required standard. Without a couple of much more impressive players in those positions, I don't see how we could hope for much better next season.

Edited by Jaggernaut

They even considered it from our point of view.

the format is just a bit similar to Michael Cox's Zonal Marking site but bunnets off to the guy who writes it, excellent work. i like that the approach looks at both teams objectively rather than one or other fans partisan perspective, which often ignores that a failure to get a result was down to the effectiveness of the opposition in favour of a more enlightened 'we were p!sh.'

I think you're making precisely my point: this result is just as disappointing as the rest of the season. Let's imagine that we lose our next three games, and then pick up another draw away from home. Should that then be considered as a satisfactory point, because the team is basically poor? I don't think so. At the moment I wouldn't be surprised if we just scrape our way above the relegation play-off, and I wouldn't even be surprised if we end up in it.

And the main reason for that is our inept attacking abilities. The defense seems on the whole pretty good, but the midfield creates very little, and what passes as our strikers are frankly not looking up to the required standard. Without a couple of much more impressive players in those positions, I don't see how we could hope for much better next season.

We have the third lowest budget in the divison, we really have no money to bring in the players you dream of unless someone from the board dips deep into their pockets.

The 2 teams with lower budget than us are bottom, you shouldnt be that surprised really if we are third bottom though it would be good to finish far higher. Perhaps guys like Bannigan and McBeth will add a bit more to our squad for next season and without Halliwell in goals we at least wont have such the same terrible start as this season.

It was a pretty rubbish game from what I could see, I was pretty much blinded by the sun throughout the first half. Nothing really happened at all except from a good Scott Fox save to his bottom right in the first half.

I can't remember us creating any decent chances at all or any shots that really tested McGovern. I do remember Cairney's run on goal where it was said he should of shot but I think the website made it out to be a better opportunity than it actually was. I couldn't see him scoring anyway, with his left but he should of at least had a dig.

Good day out spoiled by a dull boring game.

Edited by northernsoul

On reflection we're basically in agreement. I'm maybe coming from the glass half full approach and you're glass is half empty. But we both agree the level the glass is at.

Next season we're going to have to get lucky and source at least one striker. As we certainly won't be buying one we'll just have to unearth a hidden gem. I think I'm right in saying we've only scored 2 or more goals in 5 occasions in the league so far in 22 games. With poor scoring form like that I reckon we're quite fortunate to even have collected 25 points.

On the positive side it's good to see both MacBeth and Bannigan getting 90 mins yesterday. Both are attacking midfielders, something that we've been missing since both Harkins and McKeown left and Cairney went off the boil.

We have the third lowest budget in the divison, we really have no money to bring in the players you dream of unless someone from the board dips deep into their pockets.

The 2 teams with lower budget than us are bottom, you shouldnt be that surprised really if we are third bottom though it would be good to finish far higher. Perhaps guys like Bannigan and McBeth will add a bit more to our squad for next season and without Halliwell in goals we at least wont have such the same terrible start as this season.

Points taken. But if having the third lowest budget means that we should simply expect to end up in third bottom place then we all might as well give up before things even start, as nothing is to be hoped for other than your rank in terms of budget. But in fact I believe that some of our players could do better than they are allowed to do under McCall's tactics. The guy who wrote the report for the Ross County site got it right: time after time McCall sets out to kill the game, rather than to win. Now he must see that with an absolutely dreadful away record since he took over at Firhill that his approach will lead us to nowhere other than (if we're lucky) avoiding relegation. But he doesn't change it. Why on earth play a loanee youngster yesterday rather than one of our own youngsters? Why fill the team up again with end-of-career guys with nothing to play for? Why start out with 5 strung along in front of the defenders against a team that haven't won in their last 3 matches (and hadn't scored in their last 2)?

I can accept that we don't have the money that other clubs do (or don't), but all I can say is that for the first time ever I'm no longer looking forward to following Thistle away from Firhill, and that's because of the predictability and negativity of their performances under McCall.