The Station Bar

Jaggernaut

Wrong place when they're needed elsewhere. Surprise, surprise.

For once all of the blame can't be with the police. Let's face it, that's why false alarms to the emergency services are nasty and dangerous ... they can lead to the police, ambulance, fire services not being able to get to where they're really needed.

In fact there was a case for the barman having charges brought against him for wasting police time.

Edited by Mr Bunny

For once all of the blame can't be with the police. Let's face it, that's why false alarms to the emergency services are nasty and dangerous ... they can lead to the police, ambulance, fire services not being able to get to where they're really needed.

In fact there was a case for the barman having charges brought against him for wasting police time.

Correct.

I just find it hard to resist a snide dig at the polis whenever the opporchancity presents itself.

brief synopsis....

I`d drank in the place off and on for years and even lunched in there a couple of times a week (wonderful pie and pint). On the day of the semi we had all made arrangements to meet up in the Station bar about 9pm. We left the old Bay Horse on time and headed up. None of us were particularly drunk, noisy or even boisterous. When we walked in (there were 5 of us) the rest of our group were at the bar in front of the main door, doing nothing but having a pint. There was however a group of about six or seven younger Thistle fans having a sing song off to the left. Nothing too disruptive or noisy.

The guy in charge, who was the chargehand who had been there for years (I think his name was Alan)did`nt seem too thrilled to see us but everyone else seemed to be quite happy, including the others behind the bar.

10 mins later, whislt we were reading the match reports in the early editions, the police arrived. Not a couple but the entire Support Unit. (About eight cops and a sergeant). The aforementioned Alan the walked up and down the pub (starting with the youngsters) pointing to everyone even romotely connected with thistle and saying THEM....THEM....THEM. With every admonition, Strathclydes finest then took your drink from you and told you to leave. I did`nt even realise we were included until I was somewhat abruptly shoved in the back and told to get out. ME!! I was reading the bloody paper!

Anyway, I`m not a wee guy and despite being pulled back did manage to ask our mustachioed chargehand just what the hell he was playing at. I then asked to tell us in front of the uniforms just what we had done to warrant the police being called.

His reply (my capitals) I`M F***ING FED UP WITH YOU THISTLE FANS THINKING THIS IS A THISTLE PUB. JUST GET THE F**K OUT.

We left, as did a number of others who volunteered despite not having been pointed out.

Made a little check the following week. The manager had phoned stating that there was going to be serious trouble in his pub and that things were about to go off. Hence the support unit. To the best of my recollection there were no rangers colours in the pub that night and there certainly was no hint of of any bother.

No-one got the jail that night but when about twenty plus adults (who had been drinking) are thrown out of a pub en masse for no apparent reason then I thought it reflected well on us. To be honest the police seemed a bit embarrassed by the entire episode.

Thanks for the info..I had never heard about this..I was at the semi that day but stayed on the southside that evening.....Cant believe the supporters bus still leaves from there...well i shant be going back there!

Thanks for the info..I had never heard about this..I was at the semi that day but stayed on the southside that evening.....Cant believe the supporters bus still leaves from there...well i shant be going back there!

It would be good to know if it's still under the same management. If it is, then I find it incomprehensible that a Thistle supporters' bus would still leave from there.

It would be good to know if it's still under the same management. If it is, then I find it incomprehensible that a Thistle supporters' bus would still leave from there.

The bus leaves from close to but not quite outside the pub and it's one of two pick-up points (the other being the Q-Club). The pub aside it's an ideal leaving point for a city-centre bus. There's not much traffic, despite it being close to Sauchiehall St/Buchanan St and it takes two minutes to get onto the motorway.

It's up to individual fans where they drink beforehand - Station bar's handiest for this pick up point but there are other bars within 5 minutes walk (but which would not be so handy for parking the bus). I can't see why bother with the bar should affect where the bus leaves from - the bus convenor doesn't recommend the bar.

BTW I'm not a member of the bus though I have used it on the few occassions in the last few seasons when I went to away games. Mate I used to meet there now leaves from the Q Club so I haven't drank in it for a long while. I've no idea for sure but it would seem likely the bar's under new management now.

Different management. Main problem was that the nice cosy atmosphere of a quiet Saturday night for the regulars was shattered by the Invasion of a very noisy Jags support that night. You all know how intimidating this may be to locals when We take over. :blink:

Different management. Main problem was that the nice cosy atmosphere of a quiet Saturday night for the regulars was shattered by the Invasion of a very noisy Jags support that night. You all know how intimidating this may be to locals when We take over. :blink:

I'm sure herbridean jag was reading his newspaper in a highly agressive manner. It would have me cowering with fear in the corner :rolleyes::P

In agreement with you on that. There was once myself and two other Jags supporters in my local. Scary times :)

Glad to hear the Station Bar is under new management (ownership?). I felt quite dirty knowing I had drank in there lately (albeit only once).

The bus leaves from close to but not quite outside the pub and it's one of two pick-up points (the other being the Q-Club). The pub aside it's an ideal leaving point for a city-centre bus. There's not much traffic, despite it being close to Sauchiehall St/Buchanan St and it takes two minutes to get onto the motorway.

It's up to individual fans where they drink beforehand - Station bar's handiest for this pick up point but there are other bars within 5 minutes walk (but which would not be so handy for parking the bus). I can't see why bother with the bar should affect where the bus leaves from - the bus convenor doesn't recommend the bar.

BTW I'm not a member of the bus though I have used it on the few occassions in the last few seasons when I went to away games. Mate I used to meet there now leaves from the Q Club so I haven't drank in it for a long while. I've no idea for sure but it would seem likely the bar's under new management now.

:thumbsup2:

That all sounds reasonable to me.