Hands Across The Sea

beep0608

A work pal and Morton fan was telling me that they have a kind of an alliance with MSV Duisburg of the Bundesliga, largely because they also play in blue and white hoops. Apparently the clubs have a relationship, and have played friendlies, so maybe it's a potentially lucrative arrangement. Sounds interesting, and educational. I believe that Duisburg fans have been to Morton games in the past. There is also an alliance between Morton and the Italian town Reggio Emilia. Local mods have scooters with Morton decorations on them and they come over sometimes. I've seen the pictures, and also heard some funny stories about them abusing the residents of Paisley in song during visits to Cappielow.

That got me thinking. Should we have a go at getting in touch with some continental clubs that we have something in common with, like club colours? Over the years I've seen a number of clubs play in something similar to Jags jerseys. Mechelen from Belgium and Lecce in Italy spring to mind immediately, but I've seen others. I saw a Dutch team play in red and yellow stripes once, but there must be others.

When I see teams like that I immediately have a soft spot for them, so I guess that could go both ways, and we need all the help we can get these days, and friends wherever we may find them.

Hmmm, what if the club invited Lecce, or Mechelen over for a pre-season friendly? Just a daft idea maybe, but sometimes great things come from daft thoughts, and David Beattie was looking for ideas....

No more word on the tartan scarves yet, but they said it would take a few weeks. If I don't hear from Greaves soon I may ask again.

Edited by beep0608

What we want to do is find a team from the TAPIRAY list that ptfc.net's Lianne kindly still has online who are in a similar situation to ourselves. Preferably somewhere not too far from Scotland and that has good travel links so we can possibly go there to take in a game and their fans could could come to Firhill.

TAPIRAY

Was that warm with cheap beer or cheap with warm beer?

:thumbsup2:

In general I think these things just happen rather than be persued to happen, there's lots of little/personal alliances already, a few of the cumbernauld guys have an alliance with Burnley, and fans they've met over the years now have a soft spot for Thistle, I myself went to a Barnsley V Wolves game once, Barnsley home kit was red and their away kit was yellow, the entire home support was a sea of red n yellow and although I was in amongst them with my own red n yellow on display I met a group of Wolves fans that had a big soft spot for Thistle.

I'm pretty sure i've heard of a fan connection between Mechelen and Thistle before, just because of the colours

Melchester Rovers anyone?

Haven't we heard enough bigots this week!

Couldn't agree more. Good proddy team? Feck right off! I hope he was having a laugh, though I'm not laughing. I thought we represented the alternative to all of that. Mind you, I remember hearing a Jags fan say that before. He seemed to mean it but he was also drunk. If I thought that's what we were then I'd not be back. I'd rather guys like that just got honest about it and went to Ibrox instead. I'd rather go bust than go for that b*llocks.

Anyway, let's not get distracted by that.

Edited by beep0608

:thumbsup2:

In general I think these things just happen rather than be persued to happen, there's lots of little/personal alliances already, a few of the cumbernauld guys have an alliance with Burnley, and fans they've met over the years now have a soft spot for Thistle, I myself went to a Barnsley V Wolves game once, Barnsley home kit was red and their away kit was yellow, the entire home support was a sea of red n yellow and although I was in amongst them with my own red n yellow on display I met a group of Wolves fans that had a big soft spot for Thistle.

I'm pretty sure i've heard of a fan connection between Mechelen and Thistle before, just because of the colours

Melchester Rovers anyone?

I agree, these things do seem to happen naturally, but I'm suggesting that it's worth looking into. Another alternative to the colours idea, is to look for teams with other stuff in common, for example, like a 3rd team in a big city, like Tranmere say? I don't really know where we could go with this but I'm just throwing ideas out.

Do Galatasaray not play in something like red and yellow? Imagine that as an alliance. Bit unlikely though, to say the least.

Edited by beep0608

I agree, these things do seem to happen naturally, but I'm suggesting that it's worth looking into. Another alternative to the colours idea, is to look for teams with other stuff in common, for example, like a 3rd team in a big city, like Tranmere say? I don't really know where we could go with this but I'm just throwing ideas out.

Do Galatasaray not play in something like red and yellow? Imagine that as an alliance. Bit unlikely though, to say the least.

Not sure why, but that made me laugh.

Couldn't agree more. Good proddy team? Feck right off! I hope he was having a laugh, though I'm not laughing. I thought we represented the alternative to all of that. Mind you, I remember hearing a Jags fan say that before. He seemed to mean it but he was also drunk. If I thought that's what we were then I'd not be back. I'd rather guys like that just got honest about it and went to Ibrox instead. I'd rather go bust than go for that b*llocks.

Anyway, let's not get distracted by that.

Stevie Wonder could have seen that he was taking the piss.

Anyone notice the Jacks & Jags flag hanging at the back of the stand yesterday? Failing that you might have noticed a gang of West Wallians punting pegs and lucky heather in the Woody ;)

Nice looking flag, but you are ploughing a lonely furrow given the historic ties between the Jags and the Bluebirds. Many of our older fans spent the May bank holiday weekend on trips to Ninian Park, if the Jags were away. Used to travel on one of these...

Utterly biased, but I'd mention Maltese team Birkakara.

They are currently Maltese champions (although that crown is looking shaky after last weekend's result) and my brother in law is club president (having both played and coached the club in his younger days)

I see former Inverness keeper Michael Fraser is there now.

That's the one then. A wee away trip to Malta sounds spot on.

This is a cracking idea. Maybe someone could create a poll containing the teams mentioned in this thread and that way we can all vote on who we wish to try and establish links with.

I'll go for Lecce. Their fan displays are very impressive and they are a bit of a yo-yo club like ourselves.

Nice looking flag, but you are ploughing a lonely furrow given the historic ties between the Jags and the Bluebirds. Many of our older fans spent the May bank holiday weekend on trips to Ninian Park, if the Jags were away. Used to travel on one of these...

Really? Why was that?

I hasten to add I'm not ploughing any lonely furrow with the Jacks flag, Cardiff are my team from that neck of the woods. But there is a Swansea fella who lives in Glasgow and goes to the games, once in a while a few of his pals come up for a game. Good bunch of lads...despite being Swansea fans.

Another option for a foreign team would be these guys, called the Jags and play in red n yella...there fans are mental through as youtube will show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagiellonia_Bia%C5%82ystok

Really? Why was that?

I hasten to add I'm not ploughing any lonely furrow with the Jacks flag, Cardiff are my team from that neck of the woods. But there is a Swansea fella who lives in Glasgow and goes to the games, once in a while a few of his pals come up for a game. Good bunch of lads...despite being Swansea fans.

I was just pulling your leg in the hope that I could exploit your well known fondness for Cardiff and send you off on one - miserable fail on my part. :rolleyes: Also it was a great chance to show a Bluebird bus...

I thought it was a stonkin flag and with that one, the PGS one, the Woody one and the EEOS one we've got a pile to take on any decent away trip. The EEOS one will be coming to Dens in April for certain.

Stevie Wonder could have seen that he was taking the piss.

I hope so, but I have heard two different "Jags" fans say something like that, apparently seriously, admittedly after a drink or two. These are people who did go to games, though maybe they don't any more. Who knows, anyway I don't want any of that so excuse me if I'm a bit touchy about it. Either way it's not a subject that I find it easy to laugh about, though we can't be tarred with the same brush even if we have some morons in our support.

Anyway, moving on....

Edited by beep0608

Really? Why was that?

Another option for a foreign team would be these guys, called the Jags and play in red n yella...there fans are mental through as youtube will show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagiellonia_Bia%C5%82ystok

Polish "Jags" in red and yellow hoops? Fantastic. Mental fans too? Right up our street surely.....

This is a cracking idea. Maybe someone could create a poll containing the teams mentioned in this thread and that way we can all vote on who we wish to try and establish links with.

I'll go for Lecce. Their fan displays are very impressive and they are a bit of a yo-yo club like ourselves.

Yes, Lecce appeals to me too, though I've not checked out their background, history etc. Will do so now.

http://www.uslecce.it/PaginaSingolo.aspx?ID_SINGOLO=46

Formed the year before we moved to Firhill. Hmmm. Check the 85/86 team photo. Could almost be us....I thought I recognised a couple of faces in there, but no....